Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy 1 month old guinea pig pregnant

xBlueDaisy

Cavy Slave
One month old guinea pig pregnant, she's really small I got her
from someone who thinks they know what they're doing but gave me ''two girls" but one was actually a boy i separated them as soon as i got them home and checked them myself. I have told the seller and offered to sex all there guinea pigs but they were very ignorant about it. I will be calling them in the morning. I know how horrible this is, im bringing her to the vet Friday. Has anyone got any experience with such a young guinea pig being pregnant? This is the second time I've been given a pregnant guinea pig by ignorant owners its very upsetting. I got her because my guinea pigs baby (1 year old) died of a brain tumour the vet said :( the mother was very upset.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She may not be pregnant. Males reach sexual potency a little before girls do, usually at 3.5-4 weeks, and females a little later, like 4-5 weeks.

All you can do is really wait. The vet can't tell at this stage whether she's pregnant or not, so unless she's got other problems, you might as well save the money in case you need it later.

No one can tell if she's pregnant until she's at least 4 -5 weeks along. The bones have to mineralize before they can be seen on x-ray, and that takes weeks. And they can't be seen much before that with ultrasound.

You feed her the same things, pregnant or not, since she's a baby. She needs unlimited alfalfa pellets, unlimited long strand grass hay (like timothy, meadow, orchard, blue or brome), and veggies. Red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers should be the staple vegetables. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what you can feed and how often.

xBlueDaisy

Cavy Slave
Sorry that's supposed to be 2 months old. I don't know how to edit it.
She is around eight weeks old and I can feel the babies moving. I didn't even realise i said one
Month, sorry again.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, I'm still not sure. She couldn't have gotten pregnant before she was at least four weeks old, and you can't feel the pups move until around the sixth week of pregnancy. So either she's at least 10 weeks old, or she's not pregnant.

How long has it been since she was with the male?

xBlueDaisy

Cavy Slave
Im not sure exactly how old she is as the owners didn't know but its around the 2 month mark its 3 weeks since i got her so that's the last time she would have been with a male.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.