Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Senior Guinea Pig Losing Weight

Time to Euthanize?

Doodle has recently gone downhill. He stopped eating and pooping about 24 hours ago, so I took him to the vet yesterday morning who filed his teeth a bit more, and couldn't find anything else wrong. Since then he has been very lethargic, and quiet.
Currently his regimen is:
  • Handfeeding 6 ccs of Critical Care every 2-3 hours
  • 0.8 mL of Reglan 3x a day (until he poops)
  • 0.15 mL of Metacam once a day
  • 0.4 mL of SMZs twice a day
  • 0.15 mL of simethicone twice a day
  • 35 ccs of Lactated Ringer's with Vitamin C and Vitamin B subQ once a day
He's still dull, quiet, slightly cool to the touch, and not eating. I can hear his tummy rumbling but nothing is coming out. I was honestly shocked he lived through the night.

I've told myself if he doesn't poop by tomorrow, it is time to euthanize. He just seems like he's lost his fight this go around. Is this reasonable? Anything else I can do?

Re: Time to Euthanize?

I'm sorry to hear he's sick. How old is he?

He's about 6 years old, so he is a grumpy old man piggy.

I'm sorry, I hope he gets better. Hang in there Doodle!

It sounds like you and your vet are doing all the right things. The only think I could think to add is that you might put him on a vibrating pillow (or use an electric toothbrush) to see if that kicks anything loose.

It's so hard to know what to do when they're seniors. I think you just have to weigh the length/quality of life they may have left against the suffering they'll have to go through to get over the illness (if they even do), and decide what's best.

Keep us posted on how he's doing.

I am so sorry to hear about Doodle... I agree with bpatters. It may be time to have that quality of life discussion with your veterinarian. You have to consider whether or not you are needlessly prolonging his suffering. If the prognosis is bleak, it may be time to let him go. You need to listen to him, too. YOU know your precious boy best, and if you can see that he's ready to rest, honor that. I know it doesn't make it any easier to make that call, just trust yourself to do right by him. That's all any one of us can do.

The vet seemed to think increasing the Reglan should help. I'll try the vibrating pillow/toothbrush combo. His stomach is soft and very very rumbly. So I'm hoping it's a sign he's about to make up for lost time in the poops department.

He has also perked up a bit and picked at hay, pellets, and treats. I just don't want him to suffer unnecessarily.

Well, he took a couple of sips of water when I got home, which is the first I have seen him drink. Let him sit on a vibrating toothbrush for 5 minutes, which he enjoyed/didn't protest, and gave him a gentle belly massage. I can feel rumbling/gurgling and hear it. But I palpated a strange segment on the right side of his belly. I hope it's not a torsion or blockage, but he doesn't seem to be sensitive or in pain to me prodding it.

I think it's enough progress to see how he does through another night.

I'm glad he's doing better! Hang in there Doodle!

Yeah give it a little time. He seems to have perked up some so see how it goes. As said above, if he's in pain and there is no hope per the vet then I'd put him down. I'm the type that unless I visibly see misery and the vet didn't say there is no hope, I'd hang on to hope and just take it day to day with how he's doing. I so don't look forward to this with any pet that I have formed a bond with, which is like a few days after getting him. I hope Doodles progresses and feels better soon.

I've merged your threads together. It helps to have all the medical info about a pig on one thread.

Re: Suddenly Weak/Lethargic Guinea Pig

Sending goo thoughts to your piggy!! Hang in there Doodle <3

Hi, everyone- I took Doodle in to the vet because he had taken a turn for the worse. Ultrasound revealed he was in the late stages of heart failure. He passed away in my arms about an hour ago.

I'm sorry to hear this. :(

Oh gosh. So sorry to hear that Doodle didn't make it :-( Rest peacefully, little one

I'm so sorry, you took amazing care of him.

@kateanddoodle, I'm really sorry to hear about Doodle. I can understand what you're going through. I had to make the tough decision to put my sweet Wolfbane to sleep yesterday. She would have been 6 in November. It's really hard to know when they've had enough. I had hoped she'd pass in her sleep if it was her time, but it wasn't meant to be. She was being treated for a URI and was on Baytril and a probiotic but still ended up with bloat. I've treated guinea pigs with bloat before so she got simethicone, Reglan, was massaged and was hand fed, too. Sadly, she appeared to make a sudden recovery and the bloat disappeared but then she took a nose dive. When I took her in yesterday morning, the vet said that they're like humans. Sometimes they get a burst of energy before they pass. She felt the humane thing to do was end her suffering. Sounds like you did an incredible job of caring for your little man. Please accept my deepest sympathy. I'll bet Wolfbane and Doodle are munching on some heavenly hay right now....Hugs.....

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.