Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who else is a grammar/proper English freak?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Re: Who else is a grammar/proper English freak?

Also with regards to forums, fb, twitter and such, I think folks who are able to write just fine don't do so because they view online sites as fun which they are. If I was in a situation where using bad english would hurt me then no way would I do it. But on fun sites where you are sharing in a relaxed environment, I can see how some folks will let loose like that because you are taking a break from the real world so to speak. I don't like deciphering things that are seriously mangled but a little bit doesn't bother me. I guess I am a little immune to it being in a family where I'm the best speaker/writer.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    ClemmieOddieIndy said:

Or logic, apparently. If you could care less, it means that you do care. If you couldn't care less, then you don't care at all, hence there's no way to care any less than you already do!
    Hmm.. I thought I'd written couldn't. But, logic is a little overrated in my opinion. It's much more fun to be illogical. If I was logical I would've been an accountant, not a sociologist. :-)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Sorry about all this everyone! I never meant to start an argument. To your questions:

Yes. my post was directed toward those who are highly capable of typing cleanly and nicely and are just lazy. I have nothing against those with a disability or non-English speakers. I have respect for both because 99% of the time they're actually trying. I just find that it's in normal respect to be clean and neat when you're typing to other people to use understandable language. You don't have to be Shakespeare, but goodness. I was just wondering if there were others who were equally annoyed by "internet speak" and are very neat and clean about their grammar/punctuation/spelling/etc..

Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/21 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

English isn't my first language and sometimes I struggle in posting messages.
    I can't stand reading posts in text language since most abbreviations I just don't get.
    Mis-spelling....well I am no where near perfect in that so who am I to blame anyone.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I don't really understand the need for chat speak myself. If you can type proficiently (which in this day and age, I'm guessing most people are at least semi-competent at typing), then it shouldn't be a hardship to type in proper English if you speak and write the language.

Thanks
    Thanks
    243 Rec'd/196 Posts
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quoted
    233 Post(s)

I wouldn't say I'm a proper English freak (Mine isn't the greatest) but it does annoy me a bit when people talk in text speak or don't put in an effort. One thing that annoys me even more though is when people will type up walls of text without any lines of space. (Makes it SO hard to read) Or when people set their text color to something horribly bright or the text size so small you have to lean forward to read it.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

The same holds true with spoken language, too. I had a boss I liked and respected a lot who spoke professionally at work but when he'd talk to a friend or family member on the phone, his speech patterns would change to some sort of Ebonics. It was sort of funny because it sounded like a completely different language. The company I currently work for has strict written guidelines we use to make computer notes, as well. Professional language is very important in the work place.

IQ tests score for verbal and non verbal. People can be somewhat even in their scores or at both ends of the spectrum in either direction on each. That's probably the difference between someone who writes novels and a computer whiz.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

I can understand both points of view in this thread honestly. As an English language and literature student (previously), I have to admit I find things like not bothering to differentiate between 'too' and 'to' annoying. I don't object at all if it's someone with dyslexia, or speaking English as a foreign language, because they're completely valid reasons to not be able to differentiate, and I'm sure there are plenty of other valid reasons such as perhaps having a mental disability. I only object when it's people who have had the opportunity to learn, and then continued to make the same errors.

However, I have a condition which causes cognitive dysfunction, so I will occasionally make the very same mistakes that annoy me when others do it. It's a progressive condition, so I'm only going to get worse and start doing it more. It's why I'm trying to make less snap judgements about people (and their spelling/grammar!)

To speak in chat/text speak on a forum that specifically requests you don't, and to have truly poor posting etiquette (no breaks, full stops or commas etc) when you know there are people who may have dyslexia, or not have English as their first language and would have trouble reading your posts, is just inconsiderate in my opinion. But only if they're capable of typing coherently and then choose not to.

9. "Thank you, Princess_Piggie, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

To speak in chat/text speak on a forum that specifically requests you don't, and to have truly poor posting etiquette (no breaks, full stops or commas etc) when you know there are people who may have dyslexia, or not have English as their first language and would have trouble reading your posts, is just inconsiderate in my opinion. But only if they're capable of typing coherently and then choose not to.
    I agree wholeheartedly, Princess_Piggy.

11. "Thank you, PiggleLove2013, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Guineapigpro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    256 Rec'd/202 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

I would be one of those people who messes up, often. But, it's often because of this silly iPad! Sometimes I even type the right letters but it doesn't even catch it! But it seems to know how to enforce spell check without me telling it to!

This is one of the few frustrations of typing on a touchscreen or iPad.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Guineapigpro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    256 Rec'd/202 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Oh well, I guess!

Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I wouldn't be surprised if autocorrect issues and typos snuck into the stuff I post on my phone. But that's less chat speak and more substituting words that make no sense and typos!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

@ThePigAlchemist and @Guineapigpro, I was texting earlier and my phone auto corrected 'hug' to 'juvenile'. I was trying to text my mum a hug, and it came out like I was insulting her!

So, I think we all know that if we see a word that has no business being in a particular sentence any way you spin it, auto correct has struck again!

16. "Thank you, Princess_Piggie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I've started to get a good eye for figuring out what people really meant for their autocorrect mistakes. I find it kind of amusing how pervasive autocorrect can be. I've gotten some odd replacements myself. Can't say I would get "hug" out of "juvenile" though! :P
    Last edited by ThePigAlchemist; 05-31-14 at 05:57 pm.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner spudsthepiget's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    405 Rec'd/215 Posts
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)

I just don't see the point of text-talk these days; it was innovated at a time when cellphones didn't have full keyboards, but almost every phone now has a full qwerty keyboard, so there's really no reason for all the abbreviations anymore.
    Last edited by spudsthepiget; 05-31-14 at 08:09 pm. Reason: accidentally added screencaps

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PigPandemonium View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm a proper English freak (Mine isn't the greatest) but it does annoy me a bit when people talk in text speak or don't put in an effort. One thing that annoys me even more though is when people will type up walls of text without any lines of space. (Makes it SO hard to read) Or when people set their text color to something horribly bright or the text size so small you have to lean forward to read it.
    If something is that tough to read, I skip it. No effort usually means you aren't missing anything..

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Oh, I hate it when people won't use proper spelling and grammar, be it in writing or in speech. I mean, my English is not perfect since it's not my first language but I really try to use proper spelling and grammar all the time. I also don't see the need for chat speak since a lot of people can now type well, gone are the days of text messaging when you had to shorten all your words to make it easier to type.

21. "Thank you, claudinehere, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

I'm a bit particular about my own grammer (not anybody elses) and get really bothered when I post and then realise that I've made a spelling error. When I first joined the forum I actually had my spelling corrected by someone who was trying to insult me! And it was one of my first posts too. I don't really understand most of the text language so when my friends text me I never fully understand what they are saying. The only one that I know very well is . LOL!

Thanks
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)

Oops my LOL turned into a smiley face!

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I've used correct grammar on the Internet since I was 11 or 12 years old.

User Tag List