Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Questions about C&C cages (specifically kitchen divider and fleece flippers)

tt514tt514

Cavy Gazer
I'm gonna own my first 1 or 2 guinea pigs very soon. I've been doing my research for the pass couple months. At first i decided to buy the midwest guinea pig plus cage since I love the design. I can divide the kitchen area and the living room area but most people recommend the C&C cage. I know you can buy the kitchen add on for the C&C cage. Can you guys shine any light why one is better than the other?

I was also planning to buy the midwest coroplast base to go with the midwest cage so then I can have the kitchen/living room area and the coroplast base since most people complain about the cavas base for the midwest cage.

Lastly, I have questions about the fleece flippers. If I have the coroplast base, can I just add normal fleece on top or do I have to buy the fleece flippers? It just seems a bit complicated. Thanks in advance!

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
C&C cages are generally larger than Midwest cages. C&C cages can also adjust better to your space (L-shape, wider, etc.). You'd probably be better off just making a 2x4 C&C cage, which is appropriate size for 2 piggies. Keep in mind that GP's are social creatures, and often do better and are happier with a friend of their own species.

If you use U-haul pads, puppy pads, towels, etc. as the absorbent layer, you can wash your fleece 3+ times until it wicks away moisture into the bottom layer. You don't have to buy flippers.

tt514tt514

Cavy Gazer
C&C cages are generally larger than Midwest cages. C&C cages can also adjust better to your space (L-shape, wider, etc.). You'd probably be better off just making a 2x4 C&C cage, which is appropriate size for 2 piggies. Keep in mind that GP's are social creatures, and often do better and are happier with a friend of their own species.

If you use U-haul pads, puppy pads, towels, etc. as the absorbent layer, you can wash your fleece 3+ times until it wicks away moisture into the bottom layer. You don't have to buy flippers.

Would a 2x3.5 too inappropriate for two guinea pigs? My apartment has limited space. Would it be better adding a patio/loft?

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Would a 2x3.5 too inappropriate for two guinea pigs? My apartment has limited space. Would it be better adding a patio/loft?

I'd say a 2x3.5 would be okay for females, but you may have some territorial issues with females. I'd try to get a previously bonded pair, if you could. Lofts are said to take away running room due to the ramp, but if you want to I say go for it :).

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@tt514tt514, I love the Midwest Interactive Plus.... I'm getting a coro base soon and yes, they will work the same. Here's a picture-->

Attachments

image.jpg

tt514tt514

Cavy Gazer
@tt514tt514, I love the Midwest Interactive Plus.... I'm getting a coro base soon and yes, they will work the same. Here's a picture-->

how do you train them to poop only in the litter box? I thought that you could only "potty train" them but not for the poop.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It took me a while.. I just swept up all poos and kept putting them in there instead of throwing it away... They just started doing it!!

8.little.paws

Cavy Gazer
We'll there both really good I have been I. The same position u have been in well.... U should get a c&c cage because it also is more room for ur guinea pigs to play but u would need to get maybe 2 or 3 parts if u want it super big.��

pigger123

Cavy Slave
If you get a Midwest cage, I would suggest not using the divider. Dividers block off the space, and piggies really need a lot of open space to run. A Midwest with a divider is really not enough space for any amount of pigs (it technically has enough square footage, but it's divided so they can't run around), and even without a divider it's pretty small. C&C cages are much better in my opinion, a 2x3.5 should be okay for 2 girls, but boys would probably fight. The kitchen insert you can buy from the cages store is just a coroplast tray, so they can still run over the sides and it doesn't block it off like the divider does.

dearpokey

Cavy Slave
This site is so pro C/C and anti MW... seriously if you have a small space then the MW does fine, you can add to it if needed and the price is reasonable. Do not feel pressured to buy a C/C. I would say to anyone, no matter which set-up you have or what you decide on: it is ultimately about the bond you share with your pigs

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
We're not anti Midwest if you don't use the divider or if you expand the MW its fine. But a c&c is bigger a member on here even compared the two. They had a MW then upgraded to a c&c and it was so much bigger. So instead of trashing the MW she just made it into a loft. Plus alot of people say they don't like the canvas bottom very much. Obviously this site isn't so anti MW if the guineapigcagesstore sells coroplast bases for MW cages.

Last edited:

NikkisPigs

Cavy Slave
This site is so pro C/C and anti MW... seriously if you have a small space then the MW does fine, you can add to it if needed and the price is reasonable. Do not feel pressured to buy a C/C. I would say to anyone, no matter which set-up you have or what you decide on: it is ultimately about the bond you share with your pigs

My pigs are much happier with the room in their c&c cage than they were with a pet store cage. They love running so much that I would never go back. I like it better too because I can clean it easier. That's just my opinion, but I think the c&c system works so that's why so many people love it.

krystle.smith2

Cavy Gazer
I've used both I don't like the canvas on the mw and liked the size of the c&c cages but then I got tired of buying things for them to make them bigger.. so I kinda cheated I built my own lol... I still use the other cages for piggies I get that I want them separate before I put them together with the others( I'm a foster for a shelter so I take in a lot sometimes) so they don't take up room at the shelter outta both tho I love my c&c cage better that might just be cause it's rather big lol

lissie

Cavy Slave

No one is pressuring you to buy the C&C cage. It is much cheaper to build a C&C cage.

A 4x8 ft sheet of coroplast is generally $10 - $20
Grids are about $20
With these supplies, you can make a cage up to 3x6 grids, which is more than double the size of a Midwest cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.