Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

rat care

Hi so my sister whose 5 wants a rat, and i just wanted to find out as much info on them as possible. I don't really know anything and before we do adopt one i will research but i just wanted to find out thins fro you guys. So what do i need to know about rats? thanks

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

Re: rat care

I've never had a rat before but you can search for rat forums on the internet.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

They should NOT be in tanks they have high ammonia content in their urine and tanks don't ventilate this out they should be in a rat cage that has multiple levels. They love ferret hammocks and need stuff to chew. Rats should be in pairs or groups if you can only get one this is not the pet for your family. They are extremely sweet and lovable.

EDIT: I absolutely agree with bpatters I've got rats there's no way a five year old would be able to take care of them (I also work at a daycare)
    Last edited by Pawesomepet; 05-19-14 at 01:27 pm.

4. "Thank you, Pawesomepet, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    6,738 Rec'd/5,327 Posts
    Mentioned
    1931 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3389 Post(s)

The main thing you need to know is that a five-year-old is nowhere near old enough to take care of a rat, so you need to figure out who's going to do that.

6. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," say these 6 members:

Cavy Caged
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

I would help her take care of it like I said I have no clue how and don't know all of the requirements and stuff

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)

Well like I said it would need to be a them otherwise there shouldn't be any consideration of getting rats. She needs to understand that her fingers or hands shouldn't be near the cage when it's closed I can't begin to tell you how many times I've been bit they've even bit my cat once. He won't go anywhere near them now! I've got the sweetest girls however I have been bit out of fear before as well so this is something that needs to be considered.

Thanks
    Thanks
    443 Rec'd/349 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)

I just want to forewarn you @adeline13 about the smell of rats. I believe it was you who posted about smell issues with your guinea pigs and in my opinion rats have a strong scent. My roommate has rats (2 females) in a Critter Nation cage which she keeps in her bedroom. They are relatively litter trained and she keeps their cage clean, regardless though her rooms SMELLS STRONGLY of rats. Guinea pigs do not compare at all. If your parents have issues with the pigs I think they will definitely have problems with rats.

Also not to comment or be rude but I believe you are just a teenager and you have many Guinea Pigs, can you really afford rats? Or do you have time to adequately spend with the pigs AND the rats? especially if you're going to school. You also need to the time to properly supervise your sister with them. Rats can be very squirmy and love to explore.

Not to deter you because they are awesome pets but you really need to think about it before adding more animals to your life.

Cavy Caged
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    29 Rec'd/17 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Yes I will think about it and I didn't knwo they were smelly I though they were very clean animals. I actually homeschool so I can be with my animals all day and my parents would pay for the rat or we were also thinking about forstering them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    443 Rec'd/349 Posts
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)

They are super clean but they have a very strong natural odor! I think fostering is a good idea if you can find a rescue in your area. That way you get the ownership experience before you fully commit to purchasing your own supplies and getting rats!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Agrimony's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    208 Rec'd/157 Posts
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    134 Post(s)

I thought I'd love rats as pets but my roommate has one and he reeks, totally stinks even with a clean cage.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Rats are also great escape artists. My boyfriends family used to breed them and they got out of their cage all the time. They're not a low maintenance pet either, and since you've mentioned more than once in some threads that you're a bit overwhelmed with all your pigs, maybe you should see if your sister would be interested in something a little more simple as her first pet, like a hamster? Or you could even let one of your pigs become 'hers' even though you care for them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Ok, so they do not smell if their cage is cleaned regularly. Rats like to play and are very active so will crawl around up and down shoulders so she will need supervision with that rats. Get two as they are very social. Don't buy a rat off just anyone, either look for a rescue or a breeder as breeders aim at breeding safe tempered rats that do not bite. they are a very rewarding animal to own!

User Tag List