Thread: uhaul alternatives - any updates?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

uhaul alternatives - any updates?

I've been searching this section to find out what others use here in the land-of-no-uhaul as absorbent layers with fleece bedding. I came across this thread but I can't reply to it because it's too old

It seems some people were trying the furniture moving pads from Bunnings but there were some problems like holes and losing shape when they were washed and others had tried making liners with them with fleece on either side. I was wondering whether anyone had any updates to report back now they've been using them for longer? I'd love to know how it went!

In my searches I've also come across these: http://www.storageburwood.com.au/storage-boxes#2 Would the "Truck Felt Pad" be similar to the haul blankets? Has anyone tried pads/blankets like these from storage places?

The other option I've looked at is bed pads. As in those for humans. They seem a bit more expensive than the furniture pads though I am assuming you could just use one layer because they are specifically designed to absorb urine though I'm not sure. I've been looking at ones like these: http://store.independenceaustralia.c.../bed-pads.html They do vary in price and some would work out nicely size-wise with the possible dimensions of the cage I have in mind. What do you think of bed pads for an alternative, are they safe for guinea pigs and has anyone tried them?

Would love to hear of any updates or thoughts

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts

Re: uhaul alternatives - any updates?

You can use mattress pads.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

So are mattress pads bed pads?

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts

Would you use just the plain mattress protectors or the ones with the plastic underneath?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

I've heard of people using cloth baby diapers, sewn together to make a pad. Not sure how big your cage is, so this may not be feasible for you, but I hope you can find something that works soon! Sorry you cannot get the Uhaul pads.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/6 Posts

I used a summer weight quilt, it's pretty much just batting, sewn into 2 layers of fleece. It gets wet over a day or so but dries fast and washes well. An alternative is small dog beds, mine were from the reject shop, about $12 each (3 years ago, they've held up very well) which are just soft fluffy/fleecy material on one side and cotton on the back. They wick well and are a good size for folding in half like a tunnel or hidey. Not doing that so well now, kind of flat, but they've been washed a lot!
    Basic mattress protectors would be good with a fleece layer or two, you'd generally get enough material for two lots of bedding depending on the size of your cage. You can pick those up from Target for around $20 when the sales are on.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mejika View Post
    I've been searching this section to find out what others use here in the land-of-no-uhaul as absorbent layers with fleece bedding. I came across this thread but I can't reply to it because it's too old

It seems some people were trying the furniture moving pads from Bunnings but there were some problems like holes and losing shape when they were washed and others had tried making liners with them with fleece on either side. I was wondering whether anyone had any updates to report back now they've been using them for longer? I'd love to know how it went!

In my searches I've also come across these: http://www.storageburwood.com.au/storage-boxes#2 Would the "Truck Felt Pad" be similar to the haul blankets? Has anyone tried pads/blankets like these from storage places?

The other option I've looked at is bed pads. As in those for humans. They seem a bit more expensive than the furniture pads though I am assuming you could just use one layer because they are specifically designed to absorb urine though I'm not sure. I've been looking at ones like these: http://store.independenceaustralia.c.../bed-pads.html They do vary in price and some would work out nicely size-wise with the possible dimensions of the cage I have in mind. What do you think of bed pads for an alternative, are they safe for guinea pigs and has anyone tried them?

Would love to hear of any updates or thoughts
    Another place you can get some absorbent pads from is abatix.com. They have a variety that come in bulk and are priced very reasonably. Here's a link to one: ["http://www.abatix.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=SRB691-9&catlist=98" Polypro Sorbent Pads 100/Bl Clr Bag]

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Thanks for all your replies

I've decided to try to incontinence bed pads as it turns out that you can get some that will be a near-perfect size for the cage I'm planning. So I'll see how that goes. Might get one each of two different brands so I can compare.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mejika View Post
    I've decided to try to incontinence bed pads as it turns out that you can get some that will be a near-perfect size for the cage I'm planning. So I'll see how that goes. Might get one each of two different brands so I can compare.
    Hi mejika.

I'm experimenting with fleece at the moment - and am considering incontinence pads - so interested in how you went with this. What brands/types did you try. What's you experience/thoughts so far?

Thanks

Shannon (also in Melbourne)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts

Sorry I'm a little late to add to this thread.... Although I am using UHaul pads now (which are easily found around here and are working well so far for us) in our cage, I have used Zorb (superabsorbent fabric) in the past. I ordered it from Amazon.com, and you can find it at wazoodle.com. It worked very well for us under the fleece, but the UHaul pads are definitely less expensive.
    PiggyMommyWendy (Sabrina's Mommy & PiggyMommy of Elsa & Anna)

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Pigs View Post
    Hi mejika.

I'm experimenting with fleece at the moment - and am considering incontinence pads - so interested in how you went with this. What brands/types did you try. What's you experience/thoughts so far?

Thanks

Shannon (also in Melbourne)
    Hi! Sorry for the slow reply but I haven't been on here much as my little piggy is sadly no longer with us... And he ended up only being in the grid and fleece cage with the bed pads for a few weeks so I'm not sure I got a great idea as to how well they work.

I got a few different ones from http://store.independenceaustralia.c.../bed-pads.html . Some are more expensive than others. The delivery was amazing on the first one I ordered - I ordered it after business hours one weeknight and it had arrived by the time I got home from work the next day! Others though were back ordered and took a bit longer so just check if the one you're ordering is in stock before you order, otherwise it should come pretty quickly!

I got the ones that were 1m x 1m as that's how big my cage was and I was planning to get my piggy a friend and expand it to 2m x 1m so then I would be able to use 2 of the bed pads. Unforntunately they were actually a little smaller than the 1m x 1m but I think it was still ok.

As for absorbency etc. I think they worked ok though I have no experience with anything else to compare it to. It did get wet after a few days in the spot where my piggy always hid (he didn't move around too much). It would probably better with a bigger cage and/or more active piggies, or obviously just having to wash it more often than once a week.

I am contemplating getting 2 new piggy friends (but thinking about it properly) and so am still thinking about what to do cage-wise. I've read about the fleece-flippers and they sound like a great idea and I'd prefer the smaller pieces of fleece etc. for washing as I did struggle getting the bed pads into my front-loader, even though that was just one at a time! I'm happy to sew them up myself the only thing is I don't know whether it's a good idea to be cutting up the bed pads and if I could sew through them with my machine... Oh to just have uhaul in Australia!

Anyway, sorry for such a long post but hopefully that helps you, or someone else! Let me know how you go with fleece and absorbant layers because like I said, I'm still thinking about it!

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyMommyWendy View Post
    Sorry I'm a little late to add to this thread.... Although I am using UHaul pads now (which are easily found around here and are working well so far for us) in our cage, I have used Zorb (superabsorbent fabric) in the past. I ordered it from Amazon.com, and you can find it at wazoodle.com. It worked very well for us under the fleece, but the UHaul pads are definitely less expensive.
    I'm interested in the Zorb though, which I've heard mentioned on here before. Did you try sewing the Zorb? I read something online that it's difficult to sew?

Have any Aussies tried Zorb or know where to get it here? I found a few places online but haven't looked properly yet.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts

I'm so sorry for the loss of your little piggy, Mejika. I'm not much of a sewer/sewist (yet), so I did not try to sew the Zorb; I laid the Zorb underneath a top layer of fleece. I have heard of Zorb being successfully sewn, but I you would probably need a somewhat powerful/heavy duty sewing machine and maybe a bigger needle and a special foot. (Again, I'm not a sewer, so I'm really not sure.) I haven't actually seen Zorb in a store for sale; I've always bought mine online. Good luck in your search for Zorb and new piggies.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/10 Posts

Almost forgot.....After using both UHaul pads and Zorb, I do think the Zorb is more absorbent. However, it is more expensive.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Thanks for the info about Zorb, PiggyMommyWendy.

Can I ask, how many layers of the Zorb did you use under the fleece? Also, did it shrink much with washing? Some info I've read says that it shrinks a lot and if yo are sewing it not to wash it first but calculate for shrinkage when you're sewing.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    ...One can use extra large disposable puppy pads, but I moved to the incontinence pads because I could sew and trim them to fit my cage, they can be bleached and dried in the dryer, and they last a long time.
    How did you go with sewing the incontinence pads, spy9doc? They are quite thick so did you need any special needles or anything? I notice some of mine are just overlocked around the edges and I do have an overlocker so I could perhaps do that after trimming them. Thanks for any advice you could offer on sewing the pads

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Thanks for your reply, spy9doc.

Yes, I already have three bed pads which I have used. These are two of them:
    http://store.independenceaustralia.c...terproof.html?
    http://store.independenceaustralia.c...ry-1mx1m.html?

I got 1m x 1m ones because I had a 1m x 1m cage which ideas planning to double and use two of the pads. I know what you mean about the rounded corners! One of mine has rounded corners which is a bit annoying!

Now thankfully that Kmart here is stocking the standard grids I'm looking at making a regular 2 x 5 cage and making sort of non-flipping fleece flippers with the bed pads for the absorbent layer, but just on one side as otherwise it will just be too expensive have it on both sides. I will still have the convenience of the smaller pieces of fleece and bed pad to deal with, stopping burrowing and having nice taught fleece for wicking and spot cleaning even if I can't flip them. At least that's my theory!

I've decided against the Zorb as it's not readily available here and way too expensive. Bed pads aren't cheap either but I do already have 3!

Thanks for the sewing tips. Two of the bedpads I have look ok to sew but the other with rounded corners is pretty fancy and I would feel bad cutting it up! Did you use any special needle or settings on your sewing machine? I don't have a very heavy duty machine so I'm not sure if it can handle it...

Thanks again for your help.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

Sorry for the delay in reply but yes, I think I am planning to us the pads in a different way to how you are using them. But without u-Haul pads I can't do the same thing

I'm still leaning towards the fleece flipper idea but I'm worried about cutting everything up and sewing it before being sure that the bed pads will be absorbent enough! I plan to make extra small pads like you say you use for the high-use areas and hope that helps.

User Tag List