Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Opinions on my Pigs? (Could they be pregnant?)

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
Hi. I adopted 3 pigs from a farm about a month and a half ago. There was about 10 or 12 of them in one cage, mixed sexes and were about 8 or 9 weeks old. I recently noticed that 2 of my pigs are pear shaped, gained weight quickly within the last month and both of them have nipples protruding. I was wondering if I posted their pictures, if you could tell me whether you think they could be pregnant or not?

coraline1.jpgcoraline2.jpgcoraline3.jpgcoraline4.jpg

ranger1.jpg

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
The black, brown and white is Coraline. The brown and white is Ranger. And I threw Snow White in there because she (he?) doesn't look remotely like them. Plus she's kind of a runt

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
coraline5.jpg

This is what Coraline and Ranger both look like when you put your hand under their stomach.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They certainly could be pregnant. And they're probably inbred, since they were in a cage with mixed males and females. They've all got white on them, so possibly carry the roan gene. I'd suggest you read up about the possibilities of lethal white pups, and see @RodentCuddles and @Crystalkate's threads on this forum about their lethals.

May I suggest that the next time you get guinea pigs, you look for a shelter or rescue and really adopt some. What you did isn't adoption, it's purchase from a backyard breeder. Most informal breeders know nothing (or don't care, if they do know) about the risks of death for sows and pups during pregnancies, and about the genetic difficulties associated with breeding guinea pigs. There are hundreds of unwanted guinea pigs out there, and we'll happily help you locate some in your area.

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
I'm heading out to get a new cage for Snow tonight. I guess we're going to have to rethink their names. As for Cora and Ranger, do I separate them as well if they're both pregnant? If so, I'll grab a couple of extra cages. I've been researching all day on this but haven't gotten any definite answers.

Thanks for the links... I'll go check them out.

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
No I wouldn't separate the females. It will probably cause them more stress than needed and they're fine to be together if they're both pregnant as long as they get along well.

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
I didn't purchase them but be that as it may, they're now my responsibility and I'm very much in love with them. I wasn't aware of the possibility of them being pregnant as the lady said it couldn't happen until they were about 4 months and that they were all females. (Ranger was named by my 5 year old.) When I had guinea pigs before I had a set of males. I'll look into those threads.

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
I obviously made a mistake where I got them from but I did give 3 pigs a good home from that horrible backyard shed they were in. I messed up but I don't want the pigs to pay the price of it. Is there anything I can do for them?

ellisa

Cavy Slave
Have a look around the forum to read up on all the best possible care you can give them. Make sure they are meeting all of their nutritional and housing requirements.

This forum is a great resource for everything guinea pig related. I suggested you browse around and read up on as much as you can.

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to research for a vet with pig experience so I can get them all checked out as well.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Females can get pregnant at around 4 weeks of age, not 4 months. One of them looks pregnant, one of them just looks like a chubby pear shaped pig, but given their previous living conditions, it's highly likely that they are.

For three females, you need a 2x5 c&c minimum. You also need to prepare for the possibility of three litters of pups, space wise. Each sow (if they are all sows) could have anywhere from 1-4 pups (larger litters are possible, but not quite as common), so you'll need a lot of space. If they have male pups, they need putting in to a separate cage at 3 weeks old. Female pups can stay with the mums, but the cage would again, need expanding.

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
I've been looking at the sex thing and I think Snow is a female but I'm going to post a picture so maybe someone can tell me if I'm right? And I promise I don't hold her like this all the time. I was trying to get a picture on my own. My husband won't hold the pigs. :p

snowwhite2.jpg

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
Coraline looks skinnier in these pictures than in real life but you could be right. I'm fairly certain that Ranger is definitely pregnant though.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Snow looks like a female. Ranger looks pregnant, I can't tell on Coraline so maybe. If you've had them about 6 weeks you should be able to feel the pups move soon. Welcome to the forum, good luck and we are here to help!

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
What is the best way to check their pelvic area for separation? Ranger looks like she could pop any day now. I also definitely felt/saw movement while holding her a little while ago. So I'm definitely for certain with her being pregnant. As for Coraline, I'm going to check her out as well later.

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
Snow looks like a female. Ranger looks pregnant, I can't tell on Coraline so maybe. If you've had them about 6 weeks you should be able to feel the pups move soon. Welcome to the forum, good luck and we are here to help!

Thanks so much! They must have already been pregnant when I got them! I'm not sure on Cora either but she is HUGE compared to how big she was when I got her.

melynda

Cavy Slave
Snow does look female to me, but @ThePigAlchemist gives good advice.

There is a very definite possibility at least one of them is pregnant if they were kept with males for any length of time.

Have you gotten a scale to weigh them? A small kitchen scale (available for pretty cheap at places like Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Amazon, etc) is invaluable for piggie care, as changes in weight are very often an important indication of illness or injury. It is recommended that you weigh them weekly (more often if you suspect sickness). Obviously, a pregnant sow will gain weight.
Around six weeks (correct me if I'm wrong on timing, folks), you should be able to feel the babies moving if you press *gently* against her sides. Closer to delivery, you'll also be able to hear the babies gnashing their teeth if you listen.

As for their origins, I say don't beat yourself up over where you got them. I 100% agree with @bpatters about adopting any future piggies you may acquire from a local rescue or shelter, but what's done is done and now you know. There are more than a few of us on here who bought our first piggies from pet stores without knowing any better. I have learned a great deal from the people here and the importance of adoption was one of my first lessons; when I got another pig, it was from the shelter.

I am going to keep my fingers crossed that none of your girls are pregnant (but hope for a safe and healthy pregnancy and delivery if they are).

Last edited:

byccumwho

Cavy Gazer
After finding a diagram on how to check, I checked Cora's and Snow's first and I can definitely feel their pelvic bone. I don't feel Rangers AT ALL. Is that normal? And, I definitely checked the right spot on all 3 of them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.