Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss 2YO male pig weight loss but eating/drinking ravenously

xancannon

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

I could use feedback about out 2 year old male pig. He has been gradually losing weight over the last month, but eats like he is starving. Drinks a lot, and I think too much. Some research made me wonder about renal problems, diabetes, or thyroid issues.

We took him to our local small animal vet. First visit, vet agreed he was too skinny and recommended we separate him from cage mate to see if bullied away from food; asked to return if weight not improving. We waited three weeks and his weight seems to have stabilized somewhat - but very slowly still dropping (5-10 grams a day down consistently, but then suddenly up 10g a day.. then slowly back down...). Took him back, saw different vet, and she said he looked fine but please bring him back in if continuing to drop consistently. The next few days he dropped 940, 930, 920.. so took him back for visit number three, wondering if blood work was now necessary. They recommended no blood work because stressful for the pig, which is of course stressful, but we feel something is really wrong and that there are no solutions except to keep an eye on him. He is not quite himself, doesn't like to be touched or held as you used to, and chitters at us often. So hungry-acting all the time no matter how much we give the poor guy.

The vet now requested we monitor his weight at home further and bring him back once a month to be weighed on their scale. In the meantime he's still lost that weight and I anticipate more of it, and I would like to know why and if he is in more trouble than they think. I've always heard that weight loss is serious and I feel the vets brushed it off after their own initial assessment that he was bony and needed regain weight!

Any comments or ideas is appreciated very much! Thanks.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I have the same exact problem.. Except my pig doesn't drink water because they get water-y veggies.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I think some pigs just aren't much water drinkers I've noticed with mine Gin-Gin seems to drink more than Cinna. It's just what they prefer but as long as their getting water from some where.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd want the blood work done, [MENTION=31705]xancannon[/MENTION]. They can just give him a whiff of anesthetic and draw the blood, and it shouldn't be too bad.

But, small animal vet means dog-and-cat, not exotic pets. Small animal vets get almost no training, and less experience, in caring for pocket pets. You need a good exotic vet to see this pig. There are lists of exotic vets at www.guinealynx.info and at www.guineapigzone.com.

Good luck, and let us know how you get along.

Squeeky

Cavy Slave
Hmmm.... the drinking and urination would make me consider diabetes, or a liver or kidney disorder. He could possibly have a bladder stone or a UTI. My male rabbit lost weight, drank and peed excessively when he had a UTI.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I definately would recommend getting some bloodwork done.

From my experience with dogs and cats, eating but not gaining weight is a sure sign of parasites.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pigs aren't nearly as likely to have parasites as cats and dogs, since they don't usually go outside. But those symptoms are pretty typical of diabetes and other things, and need to be checked out.

xancannon

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone. We're keeping a close eye on him and intend to have bloodworm done with a different vet. The place I went to comes recommend from a couple small animal rescue groups, but I think they deal mostly in rabbits so a bit different (a friend had similar troubles there with a rat).

Re parasites, we do give them fresh grass, I guess it could be possible he picked something up from the lawn?

I truly appreciate your help, thanks very much. I'll post again soon with results...

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
You can test for hyperthyroid with blood work. I'd sure want it done.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.