Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOUND Abandoned Guinea Pig today!!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    46 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Exclamation FOUND Abandoned Guinea Pig today!!!!!!

So my husband calls me this morning and said "you will never guess what happened". He found a guinea pig beside the sidewalk beside a road. A few blackbirds had been attacking the pig and her back left foot was bleeding! I immediately jumped up and drove there with a hamster cage (to use as a carrier, the whole top comes off the base), towels, syringe, peppers, hay, and ice. The pig is so sweet and oddly doesn't seem scared AT ALL. My husband had been giving her grass and the first thing I did was give a syringe of water because it is hot outside. The pig is so cute and very curious and although she cant walk well she was trying to walk all over our bathtub. I flushed the bloody foot with beta-iodine and water and gave a semi-bath to wash the blood off and try to prevent infection. Her fur looks really healthy no bald spots and she looks overall very healthy weight but the nails are very long and I think the sore foot is basically a nail that has been pulled out. The nail is at a wrong angle and surrounded by a scab. Signs of maybe bumblefoot on the bottom of that foot but possibly swelling from the injury. I have called a few vets around but haven't been able to get anything yet I will continue checking. Is there anything I should check for? What else can I do? She seems very tired but that might just be from the stressful day she has had. I am making sure to keep my hands washed so I don't give my own guinea pigs anything. Also I am not completely sure it is a girl. I tried checking but couldn't see anything. I will look at guinealynx to compare.. I kind of hope it is a boy so I could keep it (I have 2 boys). I thought I saw testicles but that could just be the anal sac. I am attached already cause I am a sucker for animals. I have a 2x3 coroplast base and grids I use as quarantine I can keep them in for a while until I find out the sex or until I get him/her healthy again.

Pigtures are attached I think (I know they aren't the best) I couldn't put them in here cause they are tiny and upside down for some reason.

edit: The pictures were taken right when we got home. The top picture is of the bad foot. She/he is now snuggled in my lap on a towel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	64813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	64814  

Last edited by jinxie; 05-01-14 at 10:21 am.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Re: FOUND Abandoned Guinea Pig today!!!!!!

Oh my gosh, the poor thing. Those nails are terrible. That's one lucky piggie being found by you and your husband! You may find the CavySpirit sexing page quite helpful http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,243 Rec'd/995 Posts
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Quoted
    772 Post(s)

Good thing your husband found it!

I think a vet visit is a good idea. Get some anti-parasitic treatment, like ivermectin or Revolution.

I recently read about someone else finding a guinea pig by the road, and crows were pecking at it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    710 Rec'd/611 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    378 Post(s)

Oh the poor little thing! Thank heavens your husband found him/her. It just makes me sick how someone could just abandon that pig along the roadside. I really hope that all is well and the pig only needs some TLC. Thank you for taking that poor baby in and giving him/her a safe place.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/85 Posts
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)

How weird to find a guinea pig on the side of the road! Poor thing. How hard would it have been to just bring your guinea pig to a rescue or something, ya know? I am really glad your husband found him/her!

Let us know how they are doing kk?

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Aww, poor thing! Lucky your husband found it! Why can't people put their unwanted pets up for adoption instead of leaving it to die by the ROAD? Glad the pig has a nice new home!

Keep us updated with posts and pigtures!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    16 Rec'd/14 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

SO CUTE!!!!! oh, wow!

Thanks
    Thanks
    46 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

OK update. So there is an exotics vet available but they want $70 up front before the cost of any treatment... and I know that this pig will need treatment. What should I do? I was thinking of taking her to my normal vet tomorrow I think she is healthy enough to make it but I don't know. They will not charge me that much just to see her at my normal vet on top of treatment. I don't plan on keeping this pig but I do want to get her nursed back to health and I don't just want to drop her off at some shelter (There aren't any good guinea pig ones near me I have looked). It is also exam week I am supposed to be studying right now. Thankfully I washed a piggy bed and fleece and uhaul yesturday so I am letting her use that bed with it's liner. Attached is a picture of her and her foot/leg from the side. Does it look broken or do guinea pig feet normally sit like that? I tried looking at my pigs but I couldn't really tell if the angle of hers was abnormal. I know the vet will let me know but I am wondering if it is broken could waiting until tomorrow be detrimental in getting it healed? I don't know how long the foot has been like that, she can walk on it and seems like she is used to it despite how painful it looks. She seems so comfortable right now I just want her to heal and not be stressed. Thank you all for your help and responses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-05-01_13-21-01_889.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	64818  

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

No it has to be an exotic vet normal cat and dog vets don't have a clue how to care for pocket pet's. Most dog and cat vets aren't equipped to treat pocket pet's but I think it is possible to find a vet that does both and is equipped for both. But mostly not just do your research and don't be afraid to ask questions or ask to see their medical license.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Poor little thing. So glad you have her/him. Hopefully all will be well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,314 Rec'd/5,829 Posts
    Mentioned
    2041 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3903 Post(s)

Don't ask to see the vet's license, for heaven's sake. Talk about a way to get off on the wrong foot with a vet, that's it.

If you can possibly afford the exotic vet, that would be the way to go. Dog-and-cat vets don't get much education in exotics, and we've had more than one pig made worse, or outright killed, by incompetent vets who prescribed antibiotics that guinea pigs can't take, or who didn't recognize a very serious condition.

If the main thing that's wrong with her is her foot, and if you can find a vet who's got some interest in exotics, that person might be a possibility. But I'd definitely go armed with the dangerous medications list from Guinea Lynx. However, you may wind up spending more at a regular vet than an exotic vet simply because a regular vet may not know exactly what to do for the pig.

Thanks
    Thanks
    46 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Thank you @bpatters. By normal vet I mean the vet that I normally take my guinea pigs to. She is a cat and dog vet but cares for pocket pets as well and that's why I chose her. She seems very smart about guinea pigs but I wasn't sure if I needed a full exotics expert in this case. She has treated my gp for URI with proper medication, diagnosed bloat, and told me about things like the importance of vitamin C and quarantining before I found this forum so I do not think she is too unsafe and she mentions seeing other guinea pigs and rabbits. I see what you are saying about the costs if they don't know what to do though. I missed the window for today so I need to make an appointment for tomorrow either way.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner janinehunt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Good luck with him, he's a real cutie and looks so comfy on his cosy. Thanks for rescuing him and getting vet care. Hope he's OK!

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

aww I love that little sweet thing. You don't happen to live in NC do you? If its a girl I would totally adopt her

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner MrWhistles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    764 Rec'd/556 Posts
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    827 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Queen View Post
    How weird to find a guinea pig on the side of the road! Poor thing. How hard would it have been to just bring your guinea pig to a rescue or something, ya know? I am really glad your husband found him/her!

Let us know how they are doing kk?
    Keep in mind, the average person isn't aware of guinea pig rescues and they only think guinea pigs come from pet stores. And when the pet stores deny taking the pig, they feel pressured when trying to "get rid" of the pig. Sad, but so often very true.
    Mr. Whistles - Adopted Dec 21 2008 - Passed August 2012, unknown causes
    Little Lady - Adopted August 2012
    Brave Korra - Adopted August 2012 - Passed March 2013, Post-op surgery complications to remove a bladder stone
    Sweet Pea AKA Sweetie - Adopted October 2013 - Passed September 2014, Vitamin C absorption disorder.
    Sugar - Adopted January 2014

16. "Thank you, MrWhistles, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

FOUND Abandoned Guinea Pig today!!!!!!

What an adorable piggie! I'm so glad your husband found him/her and you are taking care of that little cutie pie!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner janinehunt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

How is the little dude doing today?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/425 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

If you can't keep him I hope he/she goes to a great home! What a great new lease on life for this cutie!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I can't believe people just set rabbits and guinea pigs free. It's so sad, they don't stand a chance out there on their own. What a lucky little pig!

Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

What a cutie!

User Tag List