Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Coroplast size for C&C Cage

Amanda Foote

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum :). I am currently waiting for my new grids to come in the mail, I will be making my first C&C cage for my Peruvian guinea pig named Louie. I am planning on making my cage a 2X4 size, but I was just wondering what size coroplast I would need for this, I would also like a 6" side on the coroplast. I read online that I should need a 39"X68" size, however I am unsure if that includes the extra side for the walls of the cage. I would appreciate help due to this being my first time, and I am horrible at measuring things! If necessary this is the exact grids I purchased online: (broken link removed)

Thank you!!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I would get the cage made up first then measure remember measure twice cut once.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
One problem I looked at those and they seem to be only 5 spaces across. Those are unsafe you need the 9x9 square grids. But you can still use those if you over lap the grids to make the holes smaller. The problem with 5x5 or 8x8 grids is that pigs especially babies can get their heads stuck in them and can injure themselves.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Unles you can return them and if you decide to do so get the Whitmore storage cubes. Also just to check the spacing click on the pic and count each square spaces. If you count 9 squares down and across they're good.

Here are the ones that I get:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LRBSFI

Last edited:

Amanda Foote

Cavy Gazer
I already tried to cancel the order once someone mentioned the holes were different sizes, Amazon said it was too late. I was planning on using the ones with the larger holes to either be the side of the cage against the wall (making it less of an issue) and or using them to keep the cage off the floor. My guinea pig is full grown, do you think it would be an issue with having the 8X8 grids as the outside wall?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
You could overlap the grids. Also you could try sending them back. No 9x9 are the reccamened and I would still be afraid he may get curious one day and get his head stuck. But like I said you could overlap them.

lissie

Cavy Slave
The 8x8 grids are the ones that guinea pigs can get their heads stuck and die, so no. You can use them to build a stand. Using them for back wall should be fine.

jinxie

Cavy Slave
Amazon is usually great about offering refunds and returns and since it says prime and that it is sold by Amazon.com it is more likely that they will issue you a refund and allow you to return. There should be a number on your invoice receipt that you can call. Those grids are not only wrong they are way too expensive. If you have a sears or Kmart near you, you can get these https://www.sears.com/stor-floor-standing-6-cube-storage-unit/p-00913332000P it ships free to the store and is a little less than $1 per grid (23 grids total in the box) and no shipping. If you keep those grids, having to overlap will be tedious especially for your first cage.

As for the coroplast, the measurements you gave are in fact including the walls. Your floor area will most likely be 27" x 56" for a 2x4 and you add 12" to the length and width to include the wall size for all sides. I think it is technically close to measuring 28 x 57 for the floor usually but you want a little room for the plastic to fold up to make the walls. It is more easy to fit the coroplast if the floor is a little smaller than the cage, but if you make it too big that is hard to fix. Use yardsticks and measuring tape and pencil trace your cuts before making them and like everyone says measure twice. When you go to score the walls 6" in where it will fold up I use an adjustable utility knife with the blade set very low so I don't cut all the way through that way it just folds where you scored and there wont be leaks. Hope this wasn't confusing.

Amanda Foote

Cavy Gazer
So I found that a Bed Bath & Beyond near me sold 9X9 grids so I used them on my main cage outline. I decided to keep the ones purchased from Amazon to use as my stand. Right now I have the cage on the floor as I need to order more connectors for the base. Here is a picture of how my first C&C cage came out. I got the largest size coroplast at my local home depot, decided to keep the ends long for keeping the hay inside the cage. I laid two reusable bed pads under one layer of fleece. I appreciate everyone helping me out! :) Sorry for the picture quality, was taken with phone
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto.jpg

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Looks good I will point out you should take that seed stick out. Seeds pose a choking hazard and I think it's held together with honey which is very sugary. Just wanted to let you know before anything bad happens. :)

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks great and your piggie is adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.