Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grids About how many grids do you think I will need for two 3x3 cages & a stand?

1stTimePiggyMom

Cavy Slave
I need to make two 3x3 cages which will share a dividing panel & a stand to hold both cages. I don't think I will need a lid since the cage will be on the stand. About how many grids do you think I will need to build both cages and the stand?

lissie

Cavy Slave
It depends how high you want the stand. What are you trying to protect your pigs from, cats, dogs, kids?

1stTimePiggyMom

Cavy Slave
I have a dog who's about 10 pounds but she's quite tall when she stands on her hind legs. I'm 5'4 and on her hind legs she can reach almost to my hip. She's part terrier and so far has been afraid of the boys but I want to be safe. I was thinking maybe the stand would be one grid high, think it'd be enough?

1stTimePiggyMom

Cavy Slave
I want to be safe because she loves the chase the bunnies that happen to get into our backyard.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Maybe two grids high would be safer. It would be really hard for you to clean though, since it's 3 grids deep.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Maybe two grids high would be safer. It would be really hard for you to clean though, since it's 3 grids deep.

My stand is 2 grids high and at the same height as piggymom its not hard at all. When I had my 3x3 stacked, I made it so a whole wall flipped down and I could pull out the base because both were fully enclosed. With the spinal stenosis, not having to bend over was a huge help for my back.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Piggymom, I would get 4 boxes of grids and that should give you enough for a small floor time pen. When mine were in separated cages, I put one pair in the pen, moved the others into the free cage and cleaned the other cage. It gave the boys a chance to go nuts over the smells...lol.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I would say 3 boxes my 2x4 with stand took 2 boxes with 2 grids left over. But you also have to consider how many grids are in the box. And how high you want the stand and do you want storage. If you want a 2 grids high stand I would get 4 to be on the safe side. You may end up with enough left to make a play pen.

CavyEngineer

Cavy Slave
I estimate you will need approximately 60 grids to make a super reinforced 3x6 with a divider on a stand. You could replicate with 57 grids, in my opinion. But if you want a 2 grid height stand, you will need more.

1stTimePiggyMom

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for all your suggestions. Due to household issues I've had to hold off on the stand but I did get to create each of them a 2x3 C & C. I do still plan to make the 3 x 3 cages with stands though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.