Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems Ideas on treating skinny/teddy baby guinea pig skin

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone!

I have three baby skinny/teddy pigs. They were born with some wiry hair, like their mom, Peaches who is a teddy, then lost the hair and their skin was fine. I noticed over time, the hair started growing back, not fully, as they are skinnies, but where there is hair, their skin is red and irritated. I took them to the vets and she sent me home with Revolution. I treated them along with my adult guineas with ivermectin and have seen no change in their skin. They are not itching that much, no lesions or crusty residue anywhere on their skin, so I don't believe it is mites or a fungal infection. I bought some calendula lotion from Gorgeous Guineas, back when they had no fur, now that they do, it is very hard to apply it on their skin, when the wirey fur is in the way. I was thinking to treat them all again, but this time with ivermectin as they are over three months old, just in case they still have mites.

My question is, does anyone have any advice on how to treat this sort of thing? How do you apply lotion when there is hair? Has anyone had this problem?

Here are some pictures

This is Eeyore...
Eeyore 1.jpg

Eeyore 4.jpg

This is Winnie

DSC00013.jpg

.. and this is Roo. She has the most sensitive skin of the three. ( we had to put her in our weighing dish because she likes to run...)

DSC00011.jpg

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Aww their so cute sorry no advice I've never had skinny pigs before :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Teddies do tend to have more skin issues from what I've read.
I would email gorgeous guineas for advice on their products, I know my peruvian with problem prone skin has improved greatly with their neem-melt prior to bathing with their manuka & neem shampoo. It's both anti-fungal, anti-parasitic & the coconut oil in the melt is moisturizing & anti-bacterial. But wait with bathing until you know for sure it's not mites.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
They are adorable!!! I can't help with the skin issues though, sorry.

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
Hi there! Went to the vets and it isn't mites, so the vet did a fungal test that takes two weeks to determine, although she doesn't believe that it is. She believes it might be environmental. She sent us home with a sensitive shampoo and a lime-sulfur dip(which stinks and ruined all of my towels! The vet never told me that it ruins clothing!) I did initially mail Gorgeous Guineas and she recommended the micro-neem and then the manuka and neem shampoo. I'm going to talk to my boyfriend and see if he will order them. I would rather use a natural product that that lime-sulfur dip. I used it. The shampoo seems nice, but it is for cats and dogs. I used it and it seemed to help their skin, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea to continue use.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Rubbing them with cold pressed coconut oil could ease them up. Also, @HannibalLecter, they aren't teddies. Teddies have fur all over (see (broken link removed) about half way down the page). These are werewolf skinnies, skinny pigs that have patches of fur drifted around the body. You have to take special care with werewolf/skinnies because their exposed skin is very sensitive. Keeping nails short and blunt is recommended also. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ay!-A-success-story?highlight=skinny+pig+skin for a bit more info on how to cater to skinny skin care :)

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
Rubbing them with cold pressed coconut oil could ease them up. Also, @HannibalLecter, they aren't teddies. Teddies have fur all over (see (broken link removed) about half way down the page). These are werewolf skinnies, skinny pigs that have patches of fur drifted around the body. You have to take special care with werewolf/skinnies because their exposed skin is very sensitive. Keeping nails short and blunt is recommended also. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ay!-A-success-story?highlight=skinny+pig+skin for a bit more info on how to cater to skinny skin care :)

I know they aren't pure teddies, but a teddy/skinny mix. :) They may have inherited their sensitive skin from momma pig who is a teddy, as the irritation appears to be linked to the patches of hair growth, not the naked areas.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That's actually a good theory as to how the werewolf pig came about! Werewolves are mainly hairless with patches of hair similar to teddy hair, so they could well just be a cross between the two! Werewolves can grow more hair as they get older, perhaps they're doing that and that's what's causing the irritation?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Where is the red and irritated skin? Looking at your photos, their skin looks to be a good, normal color.

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
It's funny because the irritated skin never shows up in a photograph. It mostly up near their shoulders and sides. They seem to be a bit better, but am still going to get the neem stuff from Gorgeous Guineas.

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
I think I read somewhere that skinny pigs are teddys without fur, or mostly without fur, hence the wirey fur. All I know is they are adorable. :)

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
That's actually a good theory as to how the werewolf pig came about! Werewolves are mainly hairless with patches of hair similar to teddy hair, so they could well just be a cross between the two! Werewolves can grow more hair as they get older, perhaps they're doing that and that's what's causing the irritation?

I thought the same thing! Wished I knew what the father looked like!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.