Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Rehomed baby Cavie has lice :(

mom2beauty

Cavy Gazer
I just adopted a baby girl cavie from the SPCA only to find that she has lice :(
We took her to the vet today and although she is as sweet as pie and healthy otherwise, it was confirmed lice. However the vet admittedly is not extremely well versed on cavies and said that the spray the SPCA gave me was fine to use, though upon reading posts here, I highly suspect it is not at all something I should use as it has pyrethrins in it. Pyrethrins have made my Papillon deathly ill so I can not even imagine it safe to use on my little girl.

So....my question is....
I have Revolution (selamectin)....I understand that this can be used to treat lice in cavies ....but...Math is Hard and I have no clue how much to use so that it is effective.
I have the 60mg 0.5mL(120mg/mL) according to (broken link removed) the break down is
15 mg selamectin for animals weighing less than 800 g body weight (my girl is 226.796185 grams)
So if the concentration is 60mg/cc and the dosage is 10mg for a one kilo pig, the dose is 0.167cc
My girl weighs in at 0.226796185 kilograms (1/2 pound) and she is about 7 weeks old

I put one droplet behind each ear...but I have no clue if it is enough.....any thoughts or advice?????

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Is it Advantage or Advantage II? Ad. II isn't save to use. You can calculate how much she should get on Guinea Lynx' website or ask @bpatters

mom2beauty

Cavy Gazer
Its not Advantage its Revolution (selamectin) and Guinea Lynx says HERE that it is safe to use I just have no clue how much to use to be efficient...the concentration is 60mg/cc and the dosage is 10mg for a one kilo pig, the dose is 0.167cc but my girl weighs in at 0.226796185 kilograms (1/2 pound) and she is about 7 weeks old so I am not sure if I should use a 2 drops or half the little dropper thing or what.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
My bad, I thought I read Advantage.

mom2beauty

Cavy Gazer
:) its all good! I appreciated your willing to help and give me the heads up...the poor little girl I just feel so badly for her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's very hard to measure amounts that small. The droplet you used behind each ear sounds about right.

As I understand it, one dose of Revolution may do the trick. But @foggycreekcavy has more experience with it than I do -- maybe she'll weigh in on whether you need another dose later.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Is your new little one long haired? Those lice are great at hiding in long hair! Sometimes it helps to give the pig a haircut (or shave!)

One treatment may do it, but sometimes an additional treatment is needed a couple of weeks later.

mom2beauty

Cavy Gazer
She is a short haired. I see more dead ones today, which is great. Poor little girl, we love her already and just want her to be healthy and happy. I found so much great information on the revolution and even called the company for off label recommendations. They ask me to call back and report our results with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

mom2beauty

Cavy Gazer
GOOD NEWS....Revolution worked wonders! We applied it yesterday at the vets office and today we took her back to get rechecked and she doesn't even think we need to retreat in a few weeks. She also advised us that it is breed specific so no worries about getting anything on my puppy or us for that matter. Going to clean Daisys cage again today, we are keeping minimum bedding in there for now....I am just happy that she found a forever home with us and can now begin to adjust without any health issues!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.