Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Connection between fleece & UTIs?

PiggyMommyWendy

Cavy Slave
Hi! It's been a while since I've been on the forum, as we haven't had any piggies for quite a while now. :( However, we are getting ready for a new pair soon, and I have a few questions (including this one).... The last time we had piggies we were using Piggy Bedspreads (fleece liners), and I was planning to use fleece bedding again - Fleece Flippers this time around. However, I recently heard (from an acquaintance who has piggies, who said that a vet told her) that there may be a connection between fleece bedding/liners and UTIs in guinea pigs. Is this true? (I hope not!) Please let me know if anyone has any info on this possible connection. Thank you!

Amalee

Cavy Slave
I think they very well can be connected. If anyone has said their Guinea Pig keeps getting UTIs from ''fleece'' it's probably because they kept their hide outs in the same spot and didn't clean the fleece often enough. Another reason may be if the fleece simply isn't wicking properly. It could also be that the Guinea Pig is just more prone to them - in which case, stricter cleaning and perhaps alternative bedding options should be explored. With that said, most people that clean their fleece fully once a week (at least) do not and should not be experiencing any sort of urinary issues because of the fleece itself.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think some of it depends on how clean the cage is kept and not necessarily on what the bedding is. But enclosed hideys, like pigloos, can also contribute to breathing less-than-fresh air.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.