Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anybody wanting a syririan hamster

adeline13

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I have syririan hamster that I need to sell she doesn't get enough love for her sort lifespan because my guinea oig colony keeps expanding and I just don't have the time and money for her she comes with everything needed a huge tank 55 gal with homemad stand I live in Tualatin or asking $120 also do you know where I could post an ad to sell her I was thinking craigslist but idk I feel weird abut it thanks

That's really sad. Selling your hamster because your guinea pig herd keeps expanding. I am someone who believes that animals are a lifetime commitment.

That's really sad. Selling your hamster because your guinea pig herd keeps expanding. I am someone who believes that animals are a lifetime commitment.
I love my hamster I don't wNt to sell it I don't have the money and I got thre accidentaly pregnant guinea pigs that I'm having to deal with and now they all have lice so please don't lea true me about it

I'm sorry, but I do agree with @MrWhistles. But then there are also extenuating circumstances, like being made homeless, becoming terminally ill to the point you couldn't provide care etc.

But as pet owners, we have an obligation to prepare for the unforeseen, like medical issues and pregnancies. They can't warn us if it's going to happen, or deal with it themselves, so we have be ready to, regardless of how unlikely it seems. Lice aren't a long term issue, they'll be dealt with and gone soon enough. Pregnancy also costs you no more money, it's the babies that do. Ican't imagine if you don't have the money or time for your hamster that you'll be keeping three litters of pups, so does it not make more sense to rehome the pups when they arrive, before they become attached to you, and can find their forever homes?

I mean, keeping the hamster would be selfish if you couldn't afford food and bedding, but like I said, pregnancy isn't going to cost you any extra in the long term, nor is lice. If you do the smart thing and rehome the pups (since it seems you'd be a little overwhelmed with any more pigs), then they won't cost you any extra either, and you should be able to provide for your hamster?

My guinea pig pregnancy cost me multiple hundreds of dollars before the pups were 8 weeks old (aka: eligible for adoption). I didn't keep them after the 8 week mark either, they literally went the day and the day after their "2month birthday".

And that's without the unexpected vet costs that one of the babies needed. Add that in and I paid in the thousands for an unexpected pregnancy (I adopted a girl who was pregnant, but I didn't know at the time).

So saying a pregnancy doesn't cost anything isn't exactly true.

Why did it cost you that much though? The only foreseeable cost is x-ray/ultrasound, and those aren't necessary, they're for confirmation. Unless there are complications (which you should really be financially prepared for anyway)*, a pregnancy shouldn't cost you much more than the cost of whatever calcium supplement you're using.

Guinea pig pups are also eligible for adoption much sooner than that. Boys can go at three weeks, because they're separated from mum at that age and therefore no longer reliant on her milk. Girls are eligible as soon as they're weaned, which I believe is around four/five weeks.

It's true that there could be unexpected costs with the pups, but again, my point stands, as a pet owner you need to be prepared for that financially.

* - By 'prepared for anyway', I don't mean prepared for pregnancy, I mean prepared for any 'emergency' medical needs.

I'm sorry, but I do agree with @MrWhistles. But then there are also extenuating circumstances, like being made homeless, becoming terminally ill to the point you couldn't provide care etc.

But as pet owners, we have an obligation to prepare for the unforeseen, like medical issues and pregnancies. They can't warn us if it's going to happen, or deal with it themselves, so we have be ready to, regardless of how unlikely it seems. Lice aren't a long term issue, they'll be dealt with and gone soon enough. Pregnancy also costs you no more money, it's the babies that do. Ican't imagine if you don't have the money or time for your hamster that you'll be keeping three litters of pups, so does it not make more sense to rehome the pups when they arrive, before they become attached to you, and can find their forever homes?

I mean, keeping the hamster would be selfish if you couldn't afford food and bedding, but like I said, pregnancy isn't going to cost you any extra in the long term, nor is lice. If you do the smart thing and rehome the pups (since it seems you'd be a little overwhelmed with any more pigs), then they won't cost you any extra either, and you should be able to provide for your hamster?
Ok well I completely disagree and if your not going to help me with what my question is then please don't comment

That is a form of help though, it's me trying to point out you don't have as much of a financial worry as you think you do. Lice are not a long term financial issue, so that's an irrelevant worry. Pregnancy may or may not have unforeseen costs, but you should be prepared for medical emergencies regardless. The pups can be rehomed at 3/5 weeks old so they won't be a long term cost, and since you said you 'couldn't afford the hamster', I was pointing out that you might be able to if you gave it some more thought. It just seems like you haven't looked in to your options much is all.

But if you 'completely disagree' that you as a pet owner are obligated to prepare for things like this, then that's fine, and I won't comment again.

I would take some nice pics of your hamster and his set up and post a sign in pet supply stores or other frequented places. Some places have a bulletin board where people post such ads. Thing is your hamster may be going to a place that isn't desirable as it's not like you can adopt them out formally like folks do with other pets, at least I've never heard of it. Syrian hamsters like being alone so why do you think you can't give him enough love? Sounds like he's got a nice set up with you.

Or maybe call a bunny or gp rescue and ask them what they suggest.

You'll get the most hits on CL as far as online under pets for sale. Or do a google search and see if there is another forum/board out there that is for such small creatures.

I think though if you can at least afford to feed it and the bedding to keep him for you are probably doing a better job with his care than the next owner may do. I can see getting a 55 gallon tank which is huge and think nice steal! I'll get the hamster a small cage and start up a fish or reptile tank. That's why I think if you really love him considering they live what, 2 years? to just keep him. It's not his fault and shouldn't be possibly punished going into a small cage, which I honestly would bet that's what would happen when such a large tank is coming. I know tons of people would be thinking of doing what I'm saying with that 55 gal tank..

I would take some nice pics of your hamster and his set up and post a sign in pet supply stores or other frequented places. Some places have a bulletin board where people post such ads. Thing is your hamster may be going to a place that isn't desirable as it's not like you can adopt them out formally like folks do with other pets, at least I've never heard of it. Syrian hamsters like being alone so why do you think you can't give him enough love? Sounds like he's got a nice set up with you.

Or maybe call a bunny or gp rescue and ask them what they suggest.

You'll get the most hits on CL as far as online under pets for sale. Or do a google search and see if there is another forum/board out there that is for such small creatures.

I think though if you can at least afford to feed it and the bedding to keep him for you are probably doing a better job with his care than the next owner may do. I can see getting a 55 gallon tank which is huge and think nice steal! I'll get the hamster a small cage and start up a fish or reptile tank. That's why I think if you really love him considering they live what, 2 years? to just keep him. It's not his fault and shouldn't be possibly punished going into a small cage, which I honestly would bet that's what would happen when such a large tank is coming. I know tons of people would be thinking of doing what I'm saying with that 55 gal tank..

i want to keep her but i just fee like shes just not loved enough but i dont want her to go to a snake owner

i want to keep her but i just fee like shes just not loved enough but i dont want her to go to a snake owner

Then keep her. Like I said, provide her food and clean bedding and syrians are fine by themselves. I guarantee you she won't be kept in a 55 gal tank somewhere else. The tank will be used for fishes or reptiles. And the hamster may or may not be kept well or alive. Is this better than her living with you? I'm telling you your odds for real. It's a risk I wouldn't want to take knowing that the tank is what's being eyed on. If someone wants a hamster, the pet store with a small enclosure is what they would go for. Look at how gps are kept unless people find this forum, much less a little hamster... I wouldn't do it. She's much better off with you. Give her food and bedding and whatever else and she's fine. I wouldn't risk it at all.

Just so you're aware, not very many people are going to purchase a hamster/his items for $150.

What exactly is it that you are unable to do to for her that you believe someone else can? It sounds to me like you take better care of your hamster than 99% of the hamster owners out there.Trust me, I work in a pet store and deal with hamster owners all the time. Also, there are hamster in shelters who have lived very traumatic lives. Wouldn't it be better for them to find homes first? That is the point everyone is trying t make. You are already a better owner than most, and if you can find another good owner wouldn't it be better for them to take hamster who really needs a home.

My question is this - why do you keep expanding your guinea pig colony if it interferes with being able to care for your hamster? That is a totally preventable situation and it is your hamster that ends up suffering.

My other question is - when you say your colony is expanding, where are the new pigs coming from?

My question is this - why do you keep expanding your guinea pig colony if it interferes with being able to care for your hamster? That is a totally preventable situation and it is your hamster that ends up suffering.

My other question is - when you say your colony is expanding, where are the new pigs coming from?
i bought two my firs ones from craigslist and then one was pregnant and then i bought two more sad ones from craigslist and they ended up both being pregnant soo

So after acquiring 2 pigs (which turned into more), at what point did the hamster neglect become an issue? Before or after you had more than 2 pigs and then went and got more?

Also, you got pigs from craigslist and 75% of them ended up to be pregnant?? That's quite a coincidence.

I'd have to agree with the comments above, hamsters are solitary creatures and prefer to be left alone. I only handled my hammie when I cleaned her cage. I actually feel sorry for the hammies who are bought for young children and over handled, and put in those ridiculous plastic balls. Providing a large, clean habitat with quality food, wood for chewing, and nesting material is all they really require.
Rotating their toys on a weekly basis also alleviates some boredom, as well as an appropriately sized wheel.

My guinea pig pregnancy cost me multiple hundreds of dollars before the pups were 8 weeks old (aka: eligible for adoption). I didn't keep them after the 8 week mark either, they literally went the day and the day after their "2month birthday".

I hope you know males need to be separated at 3 weeks old. They can impregnate their mom at 3 weeks old.
I can't imagine them costing hundreds of dollars to keep, just for 2 months. Either way, they can go to new home at 3 weeks.

I hope you know males need to be separated at 3 weeks old. They can impregnate their mom at 3 weeks old.
I can't imagine them costing hundreds of dollars to keep, just for 2 months. Either way, they can go to new home at 3 weeks.
Yes I know how to take care of the pregnant sow and the babies and all that and actually you can't sell them until 7-8 weeks old

Actually, they can go to new homes as soon as they're weaned, which is less than four weeks of age. Once they're no longer nursing, there's no particular advantage to them staying with the sow unless the new owners aren't equipped to deal with baby pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.