Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad to say my two piggie babies need a new forever home :(

schavarry

Cavy Slave
They are super cute. Even though I have a full house, I'd probably take them if I was within driving distance.

Would your parents be less of a pain about this if their cage was a bit smaller? I know ideally we like our cages as big as possible, but they don't really need as much room as you're giving then and it's better that they stay with you than anyone else. That would be less maintenance for you. You could also switch to bedding instead of fleece...?

It might be better if their cage was smaller - as I said I'd like to keep them out of a shelter if possible, for multiple reasons. I'm not sure if I have the time/energy to change their cage though... I spent HOURS hot gluing and zip tie-ing the base of the cage, plus I'd need new coroplast...ugh there's no easy answer but maybe a smaller cage would be a better solution.

In theory I could change bedding - but wood chips/pellets are more expensive in the long run and almost more effort than the fleece. Fleece in and of itself isn't hard, fighting for time for the washing machine - when I can run 2 cycles before throwing it in the dryer - is the part that is causing issues.

I'm sorry to hear you are going through a divorce as well. I'm over the relationship part of it - it's getting back on my feet financially that is an issue. If you need someone to talk to I'm here. :)

Thanks for your ideas! My parents big issue is that I don't have time to clean the huge cage, when I get the cage cleaned the laundry sits around (dirty) for a week before I get it washed so I can change out the cage again... I get that they stink, and that the laundry is gross, but I don't have my own washing machine like I used to, or the free time, so I can't just pop a load in the wash and wait for it to finish... Also my parents have taken the gpig fleece from the wash without running it a 2nd time like it needs (the washing machine doesn't seem to get all the soap out of the fleece/uhaul pad without a 2nd wash w/o soap) or throw it in the dryer with a dryer sheet. My mom complains if I don't run a "full" load of gpig fleece but if I do have the washer "full" it doesn't get the fleece clean - mainly why I've been having to run the 2nd cycle...... UGH anyway I'll think about adjusting the cage size - thanks for the idea :)

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Is it cage size, location of cage, possible smells, allergen issues?

A lot of these I answered in the post below yours when I replied to gatorgirl. The location of the cage is another issue - it's about the only place it can be in the house, but my parents have created a "play area" for my daughter right next to it and the boxes from my house that I have no other place to store keep getting shoved closer and closer to the cage, again making it hard to maneuver around and clean - modifying the cage so that it is smaller may help, but it may end up that my parents keep shoving stuff that direction and it isn't any easier to clean.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@schavarry Keep in mind if you have a smaller cage you will need to clean it more often which sounds like is part of the problem. I'm really sorry you're going through all of this. :/

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
For a truly bonded pair you only need a 2x4 grid cage. (Or you could do 3x3.) Switching to pine shavings (the experts on shavings an chime in on exactly what kind) will almost eliminate your laundry problem and it doesn't need to be cleaned as often. You toss the shavings around, remove wet spots, add new. It's why shelters use that over fleece for sure! I bet if you plan carefully, you can cut and tape the coro you already have. I use double sided foam tape which holds great and couldn't be faster.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm not terribly concerned about the distance to the rescue, I'm more worried about the trauma it might cause the pigs. Also I feel guilty having a shelter take them in if there's any other way - I don't want to take space from other pigs in need. I'm hoping there's a way that a shelter can treat me like a foster home, I can continue to care for them until a new owner is found?

I don't think there's any reason to feel guilty if you surrender your guinea pigs to a rescue as long as you give a surrender fee to cover some of the expenses that they will incur. I doubt that a rescue will treat you like a foster home, though, if they currently have guinea pigs they're trying to place. I've heard of rescues doing complimentary listings for people who have donated to the rescue or have fostered for them in the past.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
@schavarry Keep in mind if you have a smaller cage you will need to clean it more often which sounds like is part of the problem. I'm really sorry you're going through all of this. :/
@LuvCavysLuvCats - I understand this, I would need to clean the cage more, but it wouldn't take over an hour to clean, and there won't be as much fleece needed to cover the cage, making laundry easier and the loads would be smaller. Still not sure what I'm going to do but my piggies are okay for now and I am working on a plan.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Glad to here you maybe finding something to work our the issues.

MoosesMum

Cavy Slave
I'm looking for a new home for my bonded pair - brother/sister short hair guinea pigs. Their names are Cinnamon (female) and Lightning (neutered male) I have had them both since they were 3 weeks old, a friend bought a female gp from a pet store and she was pregnant. I took the two "boys" but quickly realized the one was a female and separated them. They have always been within wheeking distance of each other, and have been living in the same cage for almost 2 years (since the male was neutered and healed). These pigs moved from WA to CO with me, as I went through a divorce; I went from being a stay at home mom to a student to working full time - and I have had less and less time to take care of them, clean their cage, cut their nails, play with them, etc. I'm living with my parents and they are threatening to list them on craig's list just to get rid of them.

I know they haven't been taken care of well recently, and I don't have the time to give them the care that they need. I am asking $50 for re-homing fee, and I have plenty of grids for a cage (they're living in a 3x6 grid cage right now) and I have lots of fleece to send with them. They haven't been handled much lately, they are somewhat skiddish and difficult to catch, but they have been handled lots before - they are really tame, may "nibble" on you but don't ever bite hard (I've been bitten HARD by their mother). They are rather intelligent as most piggies are, they know the sound of the veggie drawer being opened in the fridge, will wheek when the faucet is turned on if they're running low on water, and recognize a nail clipper! Just a few clicks of the tongue and they will be standing on the edge of the cage, begging for food - that's their cue it's feeding time.

Parting with them after 2+ years is going to be difficult and it will be even harder for my daughter but they deserve to be spoiled and I just can't do that for them now :(

Please give my piggy babies a loving forever home! :love:

** I have tried to post this on Guinea Pig Zone multiple times but it doesn't seem to be working**

Man I hate being so far :( I'd love to have them, They look so sweet and kind, I know my Moose would love having friends.

I'm sorry doll about your trouble, I hope the best for you!

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
Update? Are you working something out w/parents?

schavarry

Cavy Slave
Update? Are you working something out w/parents?

Right now I'm trying to keep cleaning their cage... my mom didn't like the idea of me making their cage smaller :crazy: but I'm trying to find a solution. In the mean time my mom has begun "charging" me $10 for every day I don't get their cage clean... I'm closer to being on a schedule, if I wash their fleece over the weekend, and change it on Wednesday (my half day at work) I think my mom and I will be able to come to an agreement but only time will tell. If I do find someone near enough who really wants them I'd be glad to find them a loving home, but until then I will continue to love them and care for them as best I can...

schavarry

Cavy Slave

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
Right now I'm trying to keep cleaning their cage... my mom didn't like the idea of me making their cage smaller :crazy: but I'm trying to find a solution. In the mean time my mom has begun "charging" me $10 for every day I don't get their cage clean... I'm closer to being on a schedule, if I wash their fleece over the weekend, and change it on Wednesday (my half day at work) I think my mom and I will be able to come to an agreement but only time will tell. If I do find someone near enough who really wants them I'd be glad to find them a loving home, but until then I will continue to love them and care for them as best I can...

Oh, I'm glad to hear that there's been some positive movement from your mom. Hope the piggies grow on her!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.