Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad to say my two piggie babies need a new forever home :(

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I'm looking for a new home for my bonded pair - brother/sister short hair guinea pigs. Their names are Cinnamon (female) and Lightning (neutered male) I have had them both since they were 3 weeks old, a friend bought a female gp from a pet store and she was pregnant. I took the two "boys" but quickly realized the one was a female and separated them. They have always been within wheeking distance of each other, and have been living in the same cage for almost 2 years (since the male was neutered and healed). These pigs moved from WA to CO with me, as I went through a divorce; I went from being a stay at home mom to a student to working full time - and I have had less and less time to take care of them, clean their cage, cut their nails, play with them, etc. I'm living with my parents and they are threatening to list them on craig's list just to get rid of them.

I know they haven't been taken care of well recently, and I don't have the time to give them the care that they need. I am asking $50 for re-homing fee, and I have plenty of grids for a cage (they're living in a 3x6 grid cage right now) and I have lots of fleece to send with them. They haven't been handled much lately, they are somewhat skiddish and difficult to catch, but they have been handled lots before - they are really tame, may "nibble" on you but don't ever bite hard (I've been bitten HARD by their mother). They are rather intelligent as most piggies are, they know the sound of the veggie drawer being opened in the fridge, will wheek when the faucet is turned on if they're running low on water, and recognize a nail clipper! Just a few clicks of the tongue and they will be standing on the edge of the cage, begging for food - that's their cue it's feeding time.

Parting with them after 2+ years is going to be difficult and it will be even harder for my daughter but they deserve to be spoiled and I just can't do that for them now :(

Please give my piggy babies a loving forever home! :love:

** I have tried to post this on Guinea Pig Zone multiple times but it doesn't seem to be working**

Attachments

IMAG0311.jpg lunapic_134354457768441_1.jpg 20130607_104722.jpg IMAG0135.jpg

PiggyMommyWendy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation....It's so sad that you have to find a new home for your piggies. :( I'd take them in a heartbeat if we weren't so far from you, as we are starting to look for a new pair of piggies now. They are adorable and sound very sweet! Good luck finding them a new home! Hopefully you can get the listing submitted in the Guinea Pig Zone adoption section; you'll get a lot of exposure there.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
@schavarry, I'm so sorry that you have to rehome your piggies. They are beautiful. I noticed that you haven't posted in quite a while and was wondering what had happened. I wish you the very best with your new life in Colorado.

Hopefully someone from our forum who lives in your area will give your wonderful babies a new home.

Hi Kelsie! Yes it has been quite a while since I last posted - same thing happened here that happened everywhere, I got too busy trying to get my life back together and didn't have time to come post. My life seems to have spiraled out of control and even though I've made a lot of progress since the initial shock of my ex asking for a divorce, I'm still struggling - I feel like I'm treading water in the deep end of the pool, I'm not drowning but I'm not getting anywhere less deep. (Sorry if that doesn't make much sense...I'm not feeling so great, just hopped on to see if anyone had read/replied to this post). I really wish I didn't have to re-home my piggies but I really don't see any other option - I don't want be a bad piggy owner, they've been "neglected" enough, as I said they deserved to be spoiled and I don't have that kind of time anymore :(

schavarry

Cavy Slave
BUMP - things are getting worse between myself and my parents, I need to find them a home sooner rather than later :(

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry about your situation. Have you post them on guineapigzone.com ?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Have you considered paying a rehoming fee to a rescue in your area to take them in and find them a good home? You can arrange to have them rehomed in the same cage they're living in to make the transition easier on them.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
@pinky - the closest shelter is about 70 miles away - I'm thinking about contacting them to help with the rehoming process though.

schavarry

Cavy Slave
@lissie - I finally got it to post on guineapigzone.com. I've had one response, but they appear to be in NY. =/

pinky

Cavy Slave
@pinky - the closest shelter is about 70 miles away - I'm thinking about contacting them to help with the rehoming process though.

The rescue I volunteer with has all of their guinea pigs housed in foster homes throughout the Chicago area. The majority of the guinea pigs are about 1.25 hours away from me. Most rescues will arrange transports or meet you halfway.

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
If I had the space, I would take them in a heartbeat, I live in CO too (from WA as well) but I just don't have the room I barely got the room for my boys, I do hope they get a great home and I can't imagine how you are feeling right now, I'm so sorry you have to do this

flutterpie

Cavy Slave
Do you have a friend who can home them temporarily until you work something out with a shelter or something permanent? If your parents are putting that much pressure on you it might help to give you time to make sure they are homed to the right place.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

70 miles is not that far at all to get them to a good shelter/rescue if you can not find a home.

flutterpie

Cavy Slave
Depending on how much access to transportation someone has, 70 miles can be very far.

Pipandpoppy

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry that you have to rehoming them if I didn't live so far away I would take them off you in a heart beat.
They are gorgeous guinea pigs .

pinky

Cavy Slave
Depending on how much access to transportation someone has, 70 miles can be very far.

Rescues usually have transport options in place,

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry that you have to rehoming them if I didn't live so far away I would take them off you in a heart beat.
They are gorgeous guinea pigs .

Where do you live?

schavarry

Cavy Slave
The rescue I volunteer with has all of their guinea pigs housed in foster homes throughout the Chicago area. The majority of the guinea pigs are about 1.25 hours away from me. Most rescues will arrange transports or meet you halfway.

I'm not terribly concerned about the distance to the rescue, I'm more worried about the trauma it might cause the pigs. Also I feel guilty having a shelter take them in if there's any other way - I don't want to take space from other pigs in need. I'm hoping there's a way that a shelter can treat me like a foster home, I can continue to care for them until a new owner is found?

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
They are super cute. Even though I have a full house, I'd probably take them if I was within driving distance.

Would your parents be less of a pain about this if their cage was a bit smaller? I know ideally we like our cages as big as possible, but they don't really need as much room as you're giving then and it's better that they stay with you than anyone else. That would be less maintenance for you. You could also switch to bedding instead of fleece...? I don't think you're neglecting them. They will get far less human interaction in a shelter. What's most important is that they have each other. They don't *need* a lot of human spoiling.

I'm going through a divorce, too, and you described it perfectly in terms of treading water in the deep end. :( It's so difficult.

Sorry if my post isn't helpful -- I'm just trying to figure out if there's a way to make keeping your piggies doable. What are your parents' objections?

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Aww they are super cute sorry that you have to rehome them :(

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I too would recommend trying to work something out with your parents. Is it cage size, location of cage, possible smells, allergen issues? Many times this forum has rallied together and helped members find a compromise with their family/roommates.

But bonding with them for 2+ years, rehoming them is not an easy decision to make as it is. And it's not something that is typically made overnight on a whim.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.