Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Inside the Pet Store

I have to say I am a pet store employee I take pride in the care I give the pets we sell in the store. I have argued with vets, coworkers, and management over their care. I almost never have an animal come back sick or dead and my pet loss percentage for small animals and reptiles is some of the best in our district. I have even been known to take animals home with me overnight to medicate and force feed if necessary. I also have long discussions with new pet parents about their new family memeber and encourage adopting and builing a c and c cage. I recommend this site to new guinea pig owners. I take my own money and buy vegetables for the critters. I have a house full of rejects living with me. 1 eyed fish, Wilbur the head tilt piggy. One of the vets that we take our store animals to took the special needs canary home for observation and she ended up keeping him and hand feeds him several times a day. I have worked in the industry for over 3 years and have only had two pets (hamsters) that were missexed and I found appropriate homes for moms and babies. I have fished a gerbil out of a disgusting trash can after the owner decided throwing it in the trash in the middle of a midwest summer was an okay thing to do after her child got bored with it. I have had a guinea pig a child dropped in his garage take its last breath in my hands. I have suctioned fluid out of a guinea pig's lungs when it had pneumonia. I have cried numerous times when I realized I cannot save them all. Do I like where the animals come from? No. Have I had discussions with upper management to change this? Yes.
    So please do not judge all pet stores based on experiences at an individual store. Some employees do take pride in their job.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    244 Rec'd/228 Posts
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)

Re: Inside the Pet Store

Its not just how the animals are treated in the store.. Its whats "behind the scenes". Most likely they get their poorly treated animals from a breeding mill, where some employees refer to their animals as "stock" and pile them into boxes to get to the store. Im sure you work with wonderful people who care about animals, but not all store workers feel that way. Also if you look up "Rainbow Exotics Petsmart" they have a few videos you can watch.
    Last edited by PiggieWigglies; 04-16-14 at 06:50 pm.

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/8 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I wish all employees in the pet sore are like you! We need more people in businesses that cares about animals.

Thanks
    Thanks
    20 Rec'd/18 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

@farmersdaughter I agree with you! I worked at a pet store, mainly as the Dog Trainer and Cashier, but I did get to work with the small animals a bit as well. I took pride in what I did, and provided the new pet owners with the information they needed! Included NOT recommending store cages, and informing people about NIC and C&C Cages. A lot of the small pet staff I worked with were also amazing! Providing correct, and awesome information to new pet owners. I also liked my store because they ALWAYS took a pet in need to the vet! And did everything they could to get it back to health and adopt them out (usually to the staff! Haha). Once someone left their Leopard Gecko with MBD in the dog leash aisle... a staff member found him and even though he wasn't the store's pet, or a returned pet, they took him to the vet! It took 3 months for him to get better and 4 vet visit, and now he lives with a staff member and is doing great!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

My Wilbur was a very sick guinea pig when he came to the store. He appeared healthy at first, but developed an eye infection and started to lose massive amounts of weight. At one point he weighed 228grams I took him home every night in a rubber maid tote to force feed and clean his eyes and medicate. After that he developed an ear infection. After 2 months of vet visits every week he was cleared to be adopted out. I was screening potential adopters left and right and just could not let him go, but I did not have room for another male. Sadly my Radley pig had to be put to sleep around that time and his cagemate took the loss very hard so Wilbur came to live with me. The vets said he would never get very big. He is around a year old now and he is my largest pig of 2 boys amd 3 girls. He is a big cuddle bug when he wants to be and his head is still a bit tilted, but I love him just the way he is. You can read Wilbur's story here:http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...bur?highlight=

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Bosley View Post
    @farmersdaughter I agree with you! I worked at a pet store, mainly as the Dog Trainer and Cashier, but I did get to work with the small animals a bit as well. I took pride in what I did, and provided the new pet owners with the information they needed! Included NOT recommending store cages, and informing people about NIC and C&C Cages. A lot of the small pet staff I worked with were also amazing! Providing correct, and awesome information to new pet owners. I also liked my store because they ALWAYS took a pet in need to the vet! And did everything they could to get it back to health and adopt them out (usually to the staff! Haha). Once someone left their Leopard Gecko with MBD in the dog leash aisle... a staff member found him and even though he wasn't the store's pet, or a returned pet, they took him to the vet! It took 3 months for him to get better and 4 vet visit, and now he lives with a staff member and is doing great!!!
    Oh good Lord. I work in a rough area of the city where people are just uneducated. One customer asked if it was okay that he only fed his dog a few times a week. Another demanded I refund her money after she left fish in her car when it was -5 degrees outside. After being presented a baby copper head snake in a 5 gallon bucket I learned very quickly to ask what is in a box, bag, bowl a customer is carrying or of if it is alive. I have even said "I am not selling you a da*m (insert animal.) You need to go somewhere else to get it."

Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

@J.Bosley I hope my "Oh good Lord." did not offend you. I meant it towards the customer. I swear some people should not be permitted to own pets or reproduce. We had a lady leave a hamster in a cage in a cart in the middle of the small animal department. We caught her on camera and she is not allowed in the store again. Luckiky, one of the girls working that night was planning to buy her daughter a hamster for her birthday. With the money she did not have to spend on the hammy and cage she got a lot of neat accessories.
    This time of year I get people coming in or calling and asking about bunnies and chicks. Drives me insane. I usually tell them check pet finder or Craigslist. I explain that rabbits are not all cute and cuddly, but require a lot of work and normally live long lives. I would like nto know what they plan to do with chicks living in the city.
    One of my favorites I get is: "I found this _______ in my backyard." I take my job very seriously, but sometimes it can be frustrating.

User Tag List