Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introduction :D

PearParade

Cavy Slave
Hello there!! As you may know, I'm new here. After a while of lurking around I thought I should just register and get involved, talk to people and such. I have two guinea pigs. Pickles and Eggs. Pickles is an abyssinian guinea pig and I've had her the longest, both of my guinea pigs are fairly young and not yet adults.

I'm a little concerned about Eggs though. I bought him from pet smart(I needed a companion for Pickles and that was the only place available at the time) and after leaving the store I noticed he has an extra toe!! It's on his back right foot and doesn't appear to have a bone in it, or connected to his feet bones. It just sort of dangles there and doesn't move. I don't know if I should take him to get it removed, I don't know if it'll hurt him or if he can feel it at all. He doesn't seem to mind or notice it..

I've recently just finished building my C&C cage and it's MUCH more roomy than their little cramped pet shop cage. I could probably adopt another guinea pig(s) that needs a good home since I am financially able to take care of them and I've got time on my hands to give them love. I've actually been looking around for guinea pigs that need homes because I'd rather take them in than have the piggy stuck in an animal shelter or worse. However no one in MO seems to own guinea pigs or need them adopted, haha. Either way, I'm looking to adopt another guinea pig into the family. Maybe an adult so my piggies can have a role model of some sort, haha!! :D

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum. Im not to sure about growth so maybe someone else can help with that.

AnnaandElsamom

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Sounds like a condition called Polydactyly. It's an abnormality often caused from inbreeding. I would get him evaluated by a veterinarian to figure the best method for removal as it could potentially get caught and be torn off.
Welcome to the forum. :)

PearParade

Cavy Slave
Sounds like a condition called Polydactyly. It's an abnormality often caused from inbreeding. I would get him evaluated by a veterinarian to figure the best method for removal as it could potentially get caught and be torn off.
Welcome to the forum. :)

It does look like polydactly! I'll get him checked out over the weekend. Thanks for your help guys! :3

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I've had lots of polydactyl pigs that never had any problems with the extra digits getting torn off. I'd save your vet money.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.