Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/29 Posts

Stressful?

I have two boars, likely about 4-5 months now. They have a 12 sq foot cage. I know how important it is for piggies to live in pairs, but I can't help but wonder if the constant need to establish dominance is stressful for them? They get along fine most of the time, though last night they were showing each other their teeth. Lots of daily rumple strutting and such. I know they are entering adolescence.
    Anyway they never cuddle or sleep together, so I can't help but wonder if they actually enjoy cohabiting. Don't worry, I know it's important to live together, and I'm not planning on separating them. Just wondering out loud I suppose.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

Re: Stressful?

Well, some pairs are exactly like yours, living together but only just about tolerating each other. There are plenty of pigs who live together peacefully without being bonded. My girls are like day and night, sometimes they snuggle together for hours, other times they want absolutely nothing to do with each other. I think they'd be lonely without each other though. It's like siblings sharing a room, most of the time it's a pain, but you'd still miss them if they weren't there to fight with

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/29 Posts

@Princess_Piggie
    Good analogy! On that same thought, would they not be happier to have a cage divider? So living in the same house but not sharing a room?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    33 Rec'd/29 Posts

I guess I'm comparing them to my bunnies, who cuddle and groom each other all day long. I do worry that adolescence will be hard on them.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

I don't think so, no, because then they can't have any physical interaction. I think the chasing, mounting, things like that, are stimulating for them, not stressful. The best way to make sure they can get their own space is to have lots of different hideys around the cage so they can be apart if they want I think it only becomes stressful for them if it turns in to proper bullying, biting and latching on and things like that.

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

I have two nearly five-year-old sows, littermates, and the only time they cuddle is when they're in the carrier to go to the vet. Other than occasional squabbling when they're in heat or competing for a particularly yummy treat, they couldn't care less if the other one is in the cage. Some pigs cuddle, some don't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/11 Posts

Yes! Thank you! I've been wondering the same thing about my pigs. My first two seemingly tolerate each other, but they occasionally rumble and bicker. I have added a third one into the mix, and I just wonder how long it will take before the chasing/mounting/rumbling will simmer down. With two it was easy. David was dominant, even though he was smaller. Now that there's a third, Freddie the originally non-dominant has become the aggressor.

How long do you guys think it'll take for them to settle down? I too, worry that they're not happy and not merely tolerating each other.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    119 Rec'd/85 Posts
    Blog Entries

I agree that it's all normal stuff and nothing to worry about. I would only stay to worry when they actually start fighting with continous fit pulling and blood shed.

User Tag List