Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Wood Shavings in AUS?

Jw90563

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,
Just a few questions regarding wood shavings as bedding.i have recently been using fleece but I am now looking for another bedding that is not so hard as i do not have much time because I go to school early and come home late.

So,
What type of wood shavings is the best for odor?
where can I buy it ( preferably online) in Australia?
what type of wood shavings are the lowest work?
or if not wood shavings what else is a cheap type of bedding with odor control and is easy to keep it smelling nice, avalible in Australia?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Wood pellets, or recycled paper pellets, are a cheap and cheerful bedding. Wood pellets can be horse stall, stove, kitty litter, whatever, as long as the wood in untreated, unscented, and if it's an aromatic wood such as pine, it must be kiln dried. Cat litter or stove are probably your cheapest bet.

I use Yesterdays News recycled paper pellets (cat litter) as my kitchen bedding and love it.

Shavings will get all over everything, and then never want to come off. Pellets are dry, and more absorbent IMO.
[MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] uses wooden pellets, with a layer of fleece on top so they have something soft to walk on and is pretty happy with it as a bedding option.

Jw90563

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks for the advice, but will that work for the whole cage or just the kitchen?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
It works for the whole cage :)

stray hares

Cavy Slave
In terms of shavings, because they tend to come in larger sized bales (typically) it's much cheaper to buy them at a produce or stockfeed store if you have one near you, rather than online. Hysorb comes in 85 litre bales, and will last you a few weeks if you've only got one cage. Hysorb can vary in price, I've seen it sell for around $12-25 per bale.
Paper kitty litter is very good. But it can be hard on little feet (Woolworth's has its own brand of kitty litter which is pretty good, there's also Breeder's Choice kitty litter... Breeder's Choice also make a specific small animals bedding which is kind of like crushed paper kitty litter, slightly softer on the feet, but it's harder to find. That's called Back 2 Nature). Paper kitty litter is more expensive than shavings. The Woolworth's brand is typically cheaper than Breeder's Choice though.

Jw90563

Cavy Slave
Thank you stray hares
Do you know what the woolworths brand is called?

stray hares

Cavy Slave
I think it's called Woolworth's Select Cat Litter?

Jw90563

Cavy Slave
Hi guys!
I was just wondering what the best type of bedding for odour that is available in Australia. I can buy things offline but I live in Batemans Bay NSW so if there is anything in store around this area...

Jw90563

Cavy Slave
Wood pellets, or recycled paper pellets, are a cheap and cheerful bedding. Wood pellets can be horse stall, stove, kitty litter, whatever, as long as the wood in untreated, unscented, and if it's an aromatic wood such as pine, it must be kiln dried. Cat litter or stove are probably your cheapest bet.

I use Yesterdays News recycled paper pellets (cat litter) as my kitchen bedding and love it.

Shavings will get all over everything, and then never want to come off. Pellets are dry, and more absorbent IMO.
@bpatters uses wooden pellets, with a layer of fleece on top so they have something soft to walk on and is pretty happy with it as a bedding option.

Where would I get these wood pellets?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
I have no idea what sort of place would sell them in Australia. You could get wooden pellets (cat litter variety) from a pet store obviously, but I'm not sure about the other two varieties sorry.

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
you can ask for a 1kg free sample as well.

Jw90563

Cavy Slave
Thanks fuzzywuzzy
are those safe for guinea pigs? I read the description of the pellets on the website and it said that they were untreated pine sawdust but what about being kiln dried or something? ( I'm new to disposable bedding!)

fuzzywuzzy

Cavy Slave
Thanks fuzzywuzzy
are those safe for guinea pigs? I read the description of the pellets on the website and it said that they were untreated pine sawdust but what about being kiln dried or something? ( I'm new to disposable bedding!)

Kiln dried refers to wood shavings, I'm not sure if the same applies for wood pellets. These should be safe for guinea pigs. When I received the sample, it didn't have any strong smells. You should check with others who might have more experience with it though.

Jw90563

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks I'll have to get a sample! :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.