Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying Is a guinea pig okay with this long of a fast time?

CavyLover1234

Cavy Slave
We will be getting our guinea pig neutered later this week, and the vet said to not let him eat anything after 12:00 the night before and that they did not feed the guinea pigs food while the pigs were there.

That would be 16 hours without food or hay. Is that safe? It sounds like a long time for a guinea pig to go without food.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm by no means an expert, but it doesn't sound safe at all. That long without anything through a guinea pigs system sounds extremely dangerous to me. I think you need a weigh in here off someone with more knowledge like [MENTION=13820]bpatters[/MENTION] or [MENTION=12813]CavyMama[/MENTION].

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Is your vet an exotic vet or a cat/dog/sometimes sees small animals vet?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Yikes! My exotics vet said guinea pigs should never fast before surgery (or for any reason really). She asked me to put hay into Ferb's carrier before his neuter so he would keep eating right up until they took him into surgery. Then the most important thing after he woke up was to make sure he started eating hay again right away. I suggest looking for a different exotics vet to do the neuter.

CavyLover1234

Cavy Slave
He sees exotics and other animals, and he says he has neutered about 15 guinea pigs, all of which have done just fine. I just learned about the fasting time, and it has me very nervous.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
That's what I thought to

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs do not vomit so there is no risk of aspiration while under anesthesia. No need to fast. Vets will advise owners of cats & dogs, no food before surgery but it doesn't apply to guinea pigs. Guinea pigs need to keep their gut moving. Fasting will cause digestion problems. It sounds like that vet is not cavy savvy and for a procedure like this, I would look elsewhere.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There's no point in fasting a guinea pig. The whole purpose in fasting is so there's nothing in the stomach that can be vomited up and aspirated into the lungs. Since guinea pigs don't vomit, there's no need for fasting. Also, guinea pigs are herbivores, and they MUST have food moving through their guts at all times or they'll go into GI stasis (the intestines stop moving). The contents of the intestines start to ferment and give off gas, which can lead to bloat, which is a medical emergency.

My vet says specifically NOT to fast a guinea pig before surgery except for one hour prior to.

If it were me, I'd be running out the door to look for another vet.

CavyLover1234

Cavy Slave
Thanks everybody. :)

We canceled the appointment.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.