Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior One guinea pig eating the other's poop....?

m0nchi3

Cavy Slave
I have two male guinea pigs. One of them seems to be following the other around, expecting poop so that he might eat it. I know poop eating is normal, but eating another guinea pig's poop? I wouldn't be as concerned since eating someone's poop is like eating your own poop, but he gets really aggressive about it. He makes lots of angry, chattering noises, while the other makes scared, squeaking noises. And this happens CONSTANTLY. What can I do so that my guinea pig is less aggressive about his poop foraging?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nothing. There's nothing to be done. They'll work it out.

But... eating another pig's poop may be a sign of an intestinal upset. It isn't always, but it can be. If he were mine, I'd give him a probiotic, such as Bene-Bac or human acidophilus or kyodophilus, for a few days and see if things get any better. If they do, the intestinal upset may have gotten resolved. If not, you'll just have to wait for the pooper to get tired enough of being followed. He'll take care of things.

m0nchi3

Cavy Slave
But wouldn't an intestinal upset also affect his appetite? His appetite is still normal.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Not necessarily.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.