Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Heavily Pregnant

gatorgirl

Cavy Slave
Do moms of LWs reject them? Why isn't she tending to him?

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
She does very good with him. He actually nurses all the time. Sometimes he even sleep nurses.

He's up to 6ml a feeding. And he's tolerating me adding extra stuff to his mix. He weighs 123 grams now. I love this little guy so much.
He is so smart. He feels with his nose to find the entrance to their igloo. He can somewhat follow the other pigs by following footsteps in the fleece. Feedings have become so easy, and so sweet. It is the cutest thing watching him eat. So obsessed with him.
Here he is trying to eat...doesn't go well. But I feel like it's a good start. uploadfromtaptalk1397875502632.jpg

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
@gatorgirl it might be because most baby guinea pigs don't really need much tending. When my piggie had her babies mostly she just seemed to tolerate things from them that she wouldn't from an adult guinea pig. Like she let them nibble off of the veggies she was eating and she let them snuggle her and suckle when they wanted to, but she didn't push them towards the food or anything like that. That might have just been my piggie, but if that's the normal level of guinea pig mothering I imagine Mouse's mom just doesn't understand that he needs more help than the others or that she can provide it.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
He gets pushed and shoved sometimes and it breaks my heart. The nudge him with their heads. I don't know if it's because there isn't enough room in the igloo, or mom is moody. He's just so sweet, and he is very clingy and needy of them. I think he annoys them sometimes. He squeals all the time. He is constantly losing the group and getting left behind.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
They* nudge him

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
We've only had two lethal white bubs (thankfully...) and Darla their mum, their siblings, older 'cousins', three aunties of their four aunties were great with them.
I'd keep an eye on how they interact with him. If it was just mum, I wouldn't worry too much about it as she most likely knows that he isn't 100% right..but for even his siblings to not be very nice to him doesn't sound normal from my (little) experience...as Dot & Deka (Dede & Delta's sisters) were amazing with them and Dot would always be cuddling up next to Delta. They loved their sisters.

Has he seen a vet?
If so, what did the vet say about his molars?

As for his weight. He was born a big boy...- close weight to Zeke, at birth he weighed 120 grams, 3 days old he weighed 127 grams.
At 4 weeks Dede is just in the 160's..even though she born a normal girl at 95 grams. Three days she weighed 83 grams, six days she weighed 96 grams.
Delta was born at 109 grams, Three days she weighed at 102 grams, six days she weighed 123 grams.

Last edited:

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
He is up to 128 grams! 6ml per a feeding. He is doing so good. He's trying to eat the food in the cage. But he chokes on it and gags, it makes me nervous. I can't take it out though, and I can't remove him either. Hoping that he will learn.

He is so smart. I am so amazed by him.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
I need advice!! Mouse just ten minutes ago started a panic of squeaking and spinning in a complete circle over and over and over with his head tilted the left. I thought he either was having a stroke, or some inner ear issues.
I picked him up very upset, and he started pooping. So I rubbed his belly, and he just kept on pooping and pooping. I thought it wouldn't end.
My guess is because he can't eat hay his digestive tract is slower and he's been constipated. What should I do? Can I grind hay into his food somehow? He's up to 9-10ml a feeding. He's up to 137 grams. uploadfromtaptalk1398126296016.jpguploadfromtaptalk1398126337039.jpg

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Oh no! I'm sorry idk how to help! But @bpatters or @foggycreekcavy might. If it were me I'd rush him to an emergency vet!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Whether you're feeding him critical care or ground up pellets, he's getting fiber from the hay that's in either one. My guess is that his digestive tract is just moving slowly because of its immaturity, and if he's still fighting you about the syringe feeding, he may not be getting enough. How much are you getting in him per day? And how many feedings does it take?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Poor guy, he's so adorable. Has he seen an exotics vet yet to determine the extent of his challenges? They may be able to figure out if his digestive system is having an issue somewhere along the line. Hopefully it was a one time problem, my fingers and toes are crossed for little Mouse!

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
He's back to his normal self after he got it all out of himself. I had to rub it all out. I don't want to happen again. I'm so worried for him. It was the worst thing.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
No I haven't taken him in yet. Aside from this event, he's been completely healthy.
I feed him four times a day. After the 3rd day he stopped fighting the syringe. He loves loves loves eating lol he would eat more if I let him, but I stop him because I feel like it's too much.
He eats anywhere from 7-10ml a feed.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You might try sneaking some veggies in the slurry. They would help soften his stool and maybe keep him from getting stopped up.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
I fed him, and he's started doing it again, but even worse. All he does is spin in a circle in one spot squeaking with his head to the side and his left leg hanging out. Occasionally he stops and his head shakes a little. I think he's having some form of a seizures.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Does he stop if you pick him up?

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It does sound like it may be seizures, but it's hard to tell since we aren't there.

I think that perhaps it would be a good idea to get him to a vet.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
He does, but his head still learns a bit and he's upset and wants down. As soon as I put him down, back in circles he goes. I just got someone introduced to someone who is a cavy expert in the bluegrass where I live. I told her everything that's going on and I'm waiting for her reply. My fear is that there is nothing that can be done.

Crystalkate

Cavy Slave
She said either seizures or ear infection if I'm lucky. I say that because it gives him hope. We have a name of the doctor who I need to see. Just tying to see if she has a emergency line.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Oh no! I'll think positive thoughts that's it's easily treatable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.