Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

White Urine

I've noticed my girls having frequent white urine lately, and am wondering if I should go pelletless.

The urine is powdery, not gritty, but I definitely don't want it to develop in to anything more sinister.

I feed them the usual hay, they get lettuce and bell pepper on a daily basis, with tomato/carrot interchangeably too. (1 cup each per day). They also get some cilantro a couple of times a week, and some parsley about once a fortnight.

The pellets I feed them are the 'best' I have access to in the UK, I'll post the nutritional analysis at the bottom. After searching around, my only other pellet options have even higher calcium content, and the majority of them don't even have grass/hay as the top ingredient. I'm basically just trying to figure out if I should go pelletless, or cut down on pellets, or something, to stop the white urine.

Nutritional pellet analysis - Protein 17% Oils 4% Ash 6.5% Fibre 15% Calcium 0.8% Phosphorous 0.5% Vitamin A * 22,000iu/kg Vitamin D3 * 1,250iu/kg Vitamin E * 100mg/kg Copper ** 15mg/kg

ETA - Or, should I look for a rabbit pellet that may have a lower calcium content and supplement with Vitamin C?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/107 Posts

Re: White Urine

I can't tell you if you should go pelletsless or not due to the urine, but my girls are pelletless, and I can tell you that it hasn't 'harmed' them any. It's the least important thing in their diet, and the way I feed my ladies, I just don't find it necessary.

If you decide to go the no pellet route, you'll need to provide plenty of veggies with vitamin C. On a daily basis I provide my pigs;
    -Green pepper (high in C)
    -Carrots (high in C)
    -Parsnips (high in C)
    -Green beans
    -Romaine lettuce
    -Celery
    ...If, for example, I run out of parsnips I just substitute it with a bit more pepper or carrots. I'll also add a few things for some variety, like a cherry tomato or a piece of fruit once in a while, some cucumber slices, some radish, etc... sometimes I'll add a few strings of parsley, a couple times a week I'll add cabbage, brussle sprouts or broccoli...

I give them a bit more than 1 cup/day to make up for not having the pellets. I cut up one cup per pig, and then I cut up an additional cup and add it to the mix.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

I know that they'd need extra veggies to compensate, I just can't decide if powdery white urine warrants it or not. The only reason you should really go pelletless is if it's for a medical reason generally, but I'm not sure if this is 'enough' of a reason if you know what I mean.

I couldn't feed my girls romaine lettuce as it can cause calcium issues, which they may already have. Also just so as you know, celery shouldn't be fed on a daily basis :)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/107 Posts

On the chart I use celery is in the category of "safe up to 6x a week"... so now I'm curious to know why it shouldn't be fed every day ^.^

Mentioned
    2114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4076 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,520 Rec'd/6,009 Posts

I'd definitely cut way down on those pellets, or cut them out altogether. Calcium should be around .4%, and those are twice that. If cutting them back doesn't help, I'd cut them out.

I don't know if you could find rabbit pellets that are any lower in calcium, but in general, rabbit pellets are fine as long as you supplement with vitamin C.

I'd ditch the parsley altogether. I'd also cut out the cilantro for a while and see if that helps. It's not all that high in calcium, but it's like romaine -- some pigs have problems with it while others don't. Neither of mine can eat it, but they absolutely ADORE it. You should hear the pitiful wheeking if I'm chopping it for something for our dinner.

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

I give them 1/4 cup in their bowl at the moment (they share it) so should I cut it down to 1/8 to share instead?

I found rabbit pellets that had calcium of 0.90%, so I'm not sure if there's any point in switching to it really. I'll definitely eliminate the herbs for a while and see if it helps. I know for a fact I'll be getting the sad wheeks too since I use parsley in a fair bit of my own cooking as well.

ETA - @Amber Calzone, the chart on here (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...us-Plants-List) says 2-4 times a week max. I'm not sure what the reason is though.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts

They are extruding calcium

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

@Starthecavy123 I know, that's why I'm trying to decide whether or not to go pelletless, because of the pellets calcium content.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts

I just wanted to give my opinion sorry got here late

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

I cut out romaine all together just in case as well as the other well know high calcium veggies. My girl gets KMS 1/8 c max pellets a day. She doesn't even finish that a day and can go an extra day or two without giving the 1/8 c so I've opted to keep her on them even though I still see some white spots for the minerals and other stuff that's in it.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AmberCalzone View Post
    I can't tell you if you should go pelletsless or not due to the urine, but my girls are pelletless, and I can tell you that it hasn't 'harmed' them any. It's the least important thing in their diet, and the way I feed my ladies, I just don't find it necessary.

If you decide to go the no pellet route, you'll need to provide plenty of veggies with vitamin C. On a daily basis I provide my pigs;
    -Green pepper (high in C)
    -Carrots (high in C)
    -Parsnips (high in C)
    -Green beans
    -Romaine lettuce
    -Celery
    ...If, for example, I run out of parsnips I just substitute it with a bit more pepper or carrots. I'll also add a few things for some variety, like a cherry tomato or a piece of fruit once in a while, some cucumber slices, some radish, etc... sometimes I'll add a few strings of parsley, a couple times a week I'll add cabbage, brussle sprouts or broccoli...

I give them a bit more than 1 cup/day to make up for not having the pellets. I cut up one cup per pig, and then I cut up an additional cup and add it to the mix.
    I would can things like brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli as it is famous for causing gas and bloat.

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

@Starthecavy123 it's okay. What I mean is I know the cause, I was more looking for opinions on what to do to stop it before it became worse than just the powdery white urine.
    @Artista I wish my girls went through pellets that slow! Their 1/4 c filled bowl is usually gone in less than 10 hours. They're going to hate me for giving them even less. The bowl's going to look super empty as well, because of the size of the pellets 1/8c is only about 6 pellets.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Yeah they may wheek for more pellets but eventually I'd think they'd get the message. I had issues with getting Moosh to eat more hay and well to eat that more than her beloved pellets even though the amount of pellets is low overall. I've found her crack. Frozen watermelon rinds, which I have posted a thread here before about how there's actually some nutritional value to it. For some reason she has to eat it with hay so that's solved that as I give her a few pieces a day.

Like bpatters said, I'd just cut it down and get them steered eating more hay. My girl's menu every day is am: radicchio, green peppers, and green lettuce. Pm green lettuce, cherry tomato, small baby carrot, and a piece of string bean like a couple inches long. I still see white in her urine but I figure there's not a whole lot more I can do. Going to zero pellets I highly doubt is going to solve it as she's not downing them right now to begin with. I just hope I don't have a naturally stone prone pig is all I can do now.

14. "Thank you, Artista, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Also.... do you filter your water or use bottled water? Tap can have high calcium in it.

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

I'm just going to feel so bad, they'll eat 1/8c in 10 minutes! But if it could help their health in the long run, I'll have to be strong haha.

Mine get what I posted in the OP, except without the herbs now I guess. I'll have to look round for some new low calcium veg to try with them, but the UK vegetable scene is pretty slim pickings to be honest!

ETA - I use tap water, but I've heard it's hard water that has the most calcium, and the North West of the UK has soft water. I can switch to bottle if need be though. Do you think it would make a difference, or no point since the tap water's soft?

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    I'm just going to feel so bad, they'll eat 1/8c in 10 minutes! But if it could help their health in the long run, I'll have to be strong haha.

Mine get what I posted in the OP, except without the herbs now I guess. I'll have to look round for some new low calcium veg to try with them, but the UK vegetable scene is pretty slim pickings to be honest!

ETA - I use tap water, but I've heard it's hard water that has the most calcium, and the North West of the UK has soft water. I can switch to bottle if need be though. Do you think it would make a difference, or no point since the tap water's soft?
    I can't say if soft water is mineral free- I have no idea. But if you're worried, do you guys have like Brita pitcher filters? I don't buy bottled water for the environment and also it's more than if you buy a Brita pitcher and stick the filter in it. It may make a difference. My mind set is that I'm doing everything I can think of to help it at least even if it doesn't solve it.

Here you can request from the utility company the contents in your water but then again it could change.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/107 Posts

Princess_Piggie, here are some low calcium ideas:
    Runner beans
    Celery
    Corn
    Cucumber
    Parsnip
    Radish

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

I just had a look on our water providers website, my area gets 'very soft water' which has the least calcium and mineral content thankfully.

I can't say I've ever heard of that! I'm sure we have some equivelant or another. Seems that I don't need it though!

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AmberCalzone View Post
    Princess_Piggie, here are some low calcium ideas:
    Runner beans
    Celery
    Corn
    Cucumber
    Parsnip
    Radish
    Corn is not a good thing to give pigs. Check out the nutritional chart pinned here for what you can feed and how often is ok.

Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    573 Rec'd/442 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    I just had a look on our water providers website, my area gets 'very soft water' which has the least calcium and mineral content thankfully.

I can't say I've ever heard of that! I'm sure we have some equivelant or another. Seems that I don't need it though!
    Ya if you don't need it then no need to do it. I know I have hard water so I never use tap.

User Tag List