Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello people of the guinea pig forum!

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone! My name is Mya. I am fourteen and I have one guinea pig named chewbacka. Chewy as I call him is 3 months I think. He is all brown and tiny! Right now he lives alone in a 2x3 C&C when he gets older I am going to build him a larger cage. I just found him 3 days ago. Yes FOUND him, my theory is someone let him go or a prego female go and she had her baby's. I don't know. I think he is a silky or a sheltie because his hair is very long for a baby. Sadly my parents WILL NOT let me get him a friend so If you have any tips on how to get them to alow me to get him a friend I would appreciate it!

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome :)

Guinea pigs are social animals, and are happier, more outgoing, and more confident, with a friend of their own kind. I would show your parents this forum, find a few threads on why pigs shouldn't be kept alone etc :).

A 2x3 is fine for him alone as a baby, but if you ever get him a friend, they'll need a minimum of a 2x5. Bigger is better with boys :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you have to show them this forum. And make sure they know that they do better in pairs. As Princess_Piggie said they are very social creatures. And showing them this forum may open their eyes. Some people need convincing.

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
Okay I may try that. I was planing on building him a large pen anyway and if I did get him a buddy I would defiantly build them a mansion. Maybe 2x6 or something along those lines. :)

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
Is that commen to find guinea pigs that people have set free? Because my parents seem to think that it is impossible. I guess they just don't realize how mean people are to animals. :( Still haven't gotten them to let me get him a friend because the conditions were that I had to keep him smelling like rainbows, and I could only have ONE this time so he might just have to be a bachelor for the rest of his life. :(

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
It's more common than you'd think, actually. I know a couple of people who've found guinea pigs in their gardens etc.

You could ask your parents to make their own account on here, and ask any questions they have, we'd all be more than happy to answer :)

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
That is a very good Idea! May have to give that a go.

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
I know! I don't think he would have lasted very much longer. He was freezing and barley moving. I don't think he was out for very long because he is so tiny.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! Glad you saved Chewy, post pigtures when you can! Here are some general tips :)

Pellets: A good brand You will need PLAIN Timothy pellets, no nuts, seeds, or colores bits. The amount of pellets to give your pig is 1/8 of a cup per pig, per day. Pigs under 6 months can have unlimited pellets.

Hay: Guinea pigs need a long grass hay to keep their teeth worn down and their gut moving. Good hay to give them is either Timothy or Orchard. There are more substitutes but I cant think of the other substitutes. Baby guinea pigs need Timothy hay, along with either parsley or alfalfa hay WITH their Timothy for extra calcium to grow. Alfalfa is not a long grass hay to be feeding your pig. Its a legume like a pea, and does not keep their teeth worn down.

Water: People say water bottles are the best choice, because water dishes get too dirty and can flip over. If you are worried about extra minerals in the water and you have a Brita Filter you can use that (I use it)

Cage: A C&C cage is the best type of cage for a pig. If you look around you can see where to get DIY tips and items on how to build one. The minium space for two pigs is 2x4 grids. If you can fit it, 2x5 or 2x6 is preferred. Warning: if you get grids, make sure the squares are 9x9 in the grid. They changed some of them to 8x8 and peoples guinea pigs were getting heads stuck in the bars.

Bedding: Nice beddings to use are either fleece, or kiln dried pine shavings/aspen shavings. Never use Cedar because the oils in it cause respitory and foot problems.

Hide Houses: Every guinea pig needs a hidey house. Dont get the medium size pigloo, those cause lack air circulation and who wants their pig sitting in a stink hut. Each hide house you get will need to have 1 entrance and 1 exit. Some people including me use RubberMaid stools for hidey houses. There are other house options besides stools dont worry.

Veggies: Good veggies to give your pig are: Green/red leaf lettuce, cherry tomato, carrots every once in awhile, and green bell peppers. Green bell peppers are a good source of vitamin c for a pig. Piggies cant make their own vitamin c, so giving them 1/8 of a green pepper a day will help them. To add about the carrots; guinea pigs cant process sugar that well, so keeping the amounts of fruit and carrots small and spread apart is best. There are other veggies you can give your pig and how often to, and what veggies are not good to give: (broken link removed)

Care and cleaning of your pig: Guinea pigs rarely need baths, unless they are super smelly or dirty. A good shampoo to use for your pig is either Gorgeous Guineas, or Squeaky Clean for small animals from a petstore. Also, their nails do grow and there are tutorials on how to clip them or have a vet clip them for you. If you ever need a vet, make sure they are an exotic pet vet and are cavy savy.

Getting a buddy and how to introduce: Guinea pigs are happier with a buddy. If you are looking to get a buddy, please check recues, craigslist, or petfinder. Do not go to a petstore or a breeder. This forum is anti-breeding/petstore and pro-adoption. Breeding guinea pigs is hard on the mother and babies. There are enough pigs without homes in the world, breeding makes it worse. Breeding also means a 20% chance the mom might die. Anyway back to buddies and introductions. You will need a same sex pig friend for your own pig, or if your pig is a girl you could also find a neutered boy. After you found your desired pig, there is a 21 day quarentine to make sure your new pig isnt sick. Quarentine needs to be in a different cage, in a different room. After quarentine is over, find a large open space for your pigs to meet. It needs to be on neutral ground where neither pig has been before. Do not just plop your guinea pigs in a cage, this needs to be done on neutral ground. Put a pile of some veggies in the area and a pile of hay, and put the pigs in the area. See this for more details: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tips! Although I have had guinea pigs before. Their names were Guss and cocoa. They passed way due to URIs. :( They lived in a c&c that is how I knew not to put chewy in a "glorified litterbox". I will post pig tires tonight of him and his cage. I am going to make some fleece flippers for him

jeannev79

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forums! Like @Princess_Piggie said have them come here and check things out. That is how my daughter got 2 and soon to adopt 2 more (because I wanted more!) Thank you for rescuing the little guy and I can't wait to see pigtures!

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
IMG_7565.jpg IMG_7547.jpgIMG_7574.jpg here is the cage and Mr.chewbacka. I also included a picture of a painting I did this year.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
What a cute piggy and cage! I do have one concern, though. The tub you're using under his hay rack looks quite high sided, is he able to get in and out with ease? I'd cut an entrance in the side if I where you, then sand it so as it isn't a sharp cut. Still leave a lip though, to keep hay trapped in. Getting out of that might cause injury if he slips.

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
he can get in and out easily which surprised me. I would cut a whole but then he would kick litter every where, and I am going to make him a new cage monday. That cage is going to have a loft for his hay and food. Like a kitchen area. Thanks!

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh he's just too adorable! Thank goodness you found him. As for convincing your parents, what I would do is find a few pages on the computer that sound really convincing and ask them to read them. Then after they've heard the evidence and had any questions answered if they still say no don't argue, just respect their decision for now. Then once you've had chewy for a while and they've seen that you can keep the cage from smelling and that you're doing a good job taking care of him ask them to reconsider. They'll probably be more open to the idea of getting him a friend once they have time to see that he isn't just going to be a loud smelly nuisance.

Here's a good page on deciding whether or not to get another guinea pig: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

It has good advice and addresses a lot of common concerns. Also, if you scroll to the bottom there are some excerpts from two scientific studies showing that guinea pigs are healthier when living with at least one other pig. Best of luck to you and Chewy, and your zebra is really awesome.

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
Thanks! That was for the "extraordinary color wheel" project we did. It was really fun. I will try and show them that page I haven't really asked them yet. Well I have but I haven't shown them any real evidence yet so maybe it will work. My mom is going to be super easy to convince because she loves him so much. I think she has already started to cave a bit! :) My dad on the other hand is more stubborn than a mule. So it should be fun to convince him! (not):melodrama

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
So I just made an account today and I have no idea how to post a thread. It says I can't post a thread because my BB code is on. Do I need to turn them off or is there a different way to post them? please help!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Go to the discussion section, if your trying to introduce yourself then go to introduce yourself then click new topic.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks I got it!!

chewyguineapig

Cavy Slave
New cage! This one is a 3x4 which has the same square feet as a 2x6 but in a more square shape. I think it turned out great! I think the whole thing cost 90$ that is very cheap compared to a pet store cage. And this one is huge!! Sorry for no pics. It is late and I didn't want to get out the canon t3 rebel. I will post some pictures tommorow.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.