Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Two new guinea pigs, establishing dominance??

mscgl2509

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone. One of my guinea pigs, Casey, passed away a couple of weeks ago. He only lived with one other guinea pig, Poncho. Poncho is still pretty young, about four months. Yesterday, I introduced Poncho to two new piggies: Cashew and Noodle. Cashew is a little older, about six months, and Noodle is just a wee little thing, only about two months.

Cashew and Noodle knew each other previously as they both lived in the same cage at the rescue where I got them. I brought Poncho to the rescue and had them introduced to each other there. It was fine. When I took them home, I had them play on the floor while I cleaned the cage thoroughly. They were fine on the floor, except for that Cashew and Noodle were sitting together and Poncho was out by himself. I cleaned out the cage, the hidey-huts, the water bottles, and the hay racks with water and white vinegar to get rid of Casey's scent :(

I just put these boys in the cage last night with some hay in the center of the cage. Noodle is so little, I think he just understands that he's not the dominant one. But Poncho and Cashew are really fighting it out. No blood yet, but they're chattering constantly, poised to fight. I think that Poncho is having a hard time with this since it was his cage before, and Cashew is just bigger, so he's trying to be dominant.

My problem is that I have to go to work, and I don't want to come home to hurt piggies!!! Any suggestions? I don't have any hidey-huts in the cage. When I tried to put them in, Poncho just followed Cashew around into the huts chattering.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.