Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting What Questions Should I Ask Before Adopting?

Rivet

Cavy Slave
I am trying to think about some questions I should be asking the owner of the piggy we are adopting before we pick him up.

I wasn't able to ask some of the proper question when we picked up our first guinea pig, Cappuccino because he was being rehomed and they only had him for two weeks and didn't know much about his past. I didn't want to ask questions when I picked up second, Pekoe, because I was afraid of what I was going to hear (never had hay or vegetables, store cage was on top of a large dog crate, was put in a exercise ball).

But I know for sure that our new adopted piggy was taken care of really well, so I want to make sure his transition is as smooth as possible.

What questions do you think I should ask?

What are some questions you wished you asked after adopting?

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Some questions to consider..

How old is he? (Comes in handy for obvious reasons)
Past health problems?(Useful to keep an eye on any recurring conditions)
Last time he was sick? (If he was sick recently, than you'd probably want to keep an eye on him to make sure the condition was truly and properly treated)
Have you tried to bond him with any other male pigs? If so, how did he respond? (Shows how dominant or submissive he is to other pigs- useful when trying to bond him with your other pig(s))
Has he been mistreated? (This means physical abuse- if he has been, be extra cautious around him to make him feel loved. Taming would be more difficult, but still baca be done)

These are the only questions I could think of that would be related to his or your benefit.

Other questions such as if he has ever had veggies, a big cage, etc are probably not necessary considering your changing those bad habits. So if you don't want to ask those questions, I would say you don't have to. :)

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave
I think you should also ask about his favourite veggies, treats, etc, so you can provide some things he's used to and make him feel comfortable :)

Guineapigpro

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I think you should also ask about his favourite veggies, treats, etc, so you can provide some things he's used to and make him feel comfortable :)
As long as they're healthy for him. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.