Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethals Two possible lethal white borns today

Rywen

Cavy Slave
@RodentCuddles they are all very pretty little girl piggies, and I'm glad they are with you getting excellent care!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Weights from this evening, all looking much better in that they're not losing weight!

Dede - 82 grams
(same)
Dot - 58 grams (+2)
Deka - 80 grams (+4)
Delta - 100 grams (+4)

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
I'm glad they're all picking up on weight! They're all very pretty girls.

Have you seen the two lethals nibbling on any hay/veggies?

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I've seen Delta eating hay, but haven't seen Dede eating any (haven't seen Deka eat any as well so I might just be missing it! Dot ate pellets from day 1)

Dede - 83 grams (+1)
Dot - 59 grams (+1)
Deka - 81 grams (+1)
Delta - 102 grams (+2)

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
Are lethal's like babies who have disabilities and a dis formed body (don't know how to describe it) and are pure white?

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Yes. They are deformed, blind and or deaf, and have health problems. Its all genetic.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are lethal white genes in several species -- horses, dogs, and guinea pigs that I know of. And there may be others.

The bodies are not generally deformed. They have microphthalmia (small or missing eyes), are deaf, their teeth are often missing or wonky, and their digestive tracts are very immature compared to other newborns of their species.

It's possible to have varying degrees of expression of the lethal gene. I've read posts by one person whose pig apparently had a bit of hearing, and another whose pig could apparently distinguish large objects. The degree of tooth involvement also varies.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
There are lethal white genes in several species -- horses, dogs, and guinea pigs that I know of. And there may be others.

The bodies are not generally deformed. They have microphthalmia (small or missing eyes), are deaf, their teeth are often missing or wonky, and their digestive tracts are very immature compared to other newborns of their species.

It's possible to have varying degrees of expression of the lethal gene. I've read posts by one person whose pig apparently had a bit of hearing, and another whose pig could apparently distinguish large objects. The degree of tooth involvement also varies.
Thank you for clarifying that more :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Possibly. Probably.

Does the first one have no back teeth as well as no front teeth, or is just missing the front? If she has no back teeth, then you should definitely try handfeeding. Just be aware that she may not make it. If she has back teeth, it's possible for her to learn to feed herself, but it will be much harder than if she had front teeth.

If the second has molars, she may learn to feed herself. You may have to feed her food cut into matchstick-size slivers, and push them into her mouth until she gets the hang of picking them up.

I'd think you'd feed them like normal pups. They don't generally eat much the first day, but start to imitate the sow in eating the second day.

Today we had their molars checked.
Delta's were all good and appeared to look normal.

Sadly Dede only has two bottom molars.

I'm going to make a thread on GuineaLynx called, "Everyday's a Dede day" and hopefully post pictures of her (and often her sister as well) daily as I want to cherish every day she has on this earth as life's gonna be hard for her.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Just thought I'd do an update on the girls - tomorrow they'll be a week old!

While I have been weighing them I thought I'd do a comparison from the last time I posted their weights here to today

Dede - 96 grams (+14)
Dot - 64 grams (+6)
Deka - 107 grams (+27)
Delta - 123 grams (+23)

I'm keeping an eye on Dot and have always been feeding her CC as well but I have a gut feeling something isn't right even though nothing's changed, she's still eating, drinking, poohing, peeing ect normally.

And a little picture of Dede & Delta today - Note; the 'stain' is colour from the red bell pepper!

pizap.com10.38143057655543091395976540201.jpg

amandaisamoose

Cavy Slave
They are so cute.. have you been able to tell if they can see? I saw you said they bump into things.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
No they can't see, which of course isn't very good at all. I do gotta to say it's kinda nice having another blind guinea who you can pick up with-out them running away as they can't see your hand approaching.

amandaisamoose

Cavy Slave
Another? You have more then these two who can't see? That's sad :(. Can they smell? Or do you think they can smell?
I don't know anything about lethals...

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Another? You have more then these two who can't see? That's sad :(. Can they smell? Or do you think they can smell?
I don't know anything about lethals...

I had another little LW - she was rescued at 3 months old and then passed away at 7 months old due to an heart issue.

These two can smell so they get herbs mixed into each veggie meal in hopes to persuade them to eat.

amandaisamoose

Cavy Slave
Aww. That's to bad.

Are they eating their veggies well? Or doing better with eating them.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Well I did make a thread on Dusk but since she's with these girls now I'll just post it here!

Darla now has a little foster girl, so Dede, Delta, Dot & Deka have a little foster sister!

Little Dusk was caught by someone's cat, they then took her to the pet shop (not sure why people take find animals to pet shops!) who then told them to take her to the vets I use as they knew one of the vet nurses is a bun person, they called us and so we went and picked up Dusk.

Dusk is rather weak, she can hardly walk around. We're giving her CC and have taken out Darla & Dusk and watched Dusk suckle off her.

We've taken the girls away from the other adult girls/aunties as a couple of them don't take adding newbies into their group too nicely!
Their cage is a slightly on the smaller side but because we had to make it on the floor we had to add a lid/cat proof as while we trust our cats with the adults; little baby guineas would just be too much of a tease.

Here is their cage;
pizap.com10.80726755922660231396076924796.jpg

Darla seems to be treating her as if she was one of her own
pizap.com10.314328668173402551396077137858.jpg

Dusk and little Dot (of course Dot! She's always in the pellet bowl!)
pizap.com10.193853689823299651396077227772.jpg

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
If you're worried about Dot because of the slow weight gain... the runt of my litter (I adopted the mama pregnant) was born just 51 grams, and her weight dropped down to 48 grams at one point. She is now 7 weeks old and she is still -far- smaller than her siblings. I don't believe there is anything wrong with her though... she's first on the veggie pile, loves her hay, and I've seen her poo specifically (which is hard to do with 5 piggies in one cage xD)... SO, it may just be that you have a tiny little girl. My fingers are crossed that's the case!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Well I was up most of the night (didn't get to sleep until 2am and mum woke me up at 6am!) feeding Dusk a bit of CC every couple of hours.

Sadly she hasn't improved, she could be weak for a few things. But the fact they feed her a bit of kitten milk replacement and that she didn't have any good/healthy/safe food for over 24hrs are most likely the main reasons shes so bad.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Poor Dusk, she's an adorable little baby, I hope she improves and pulls through!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Little girl at the moment, we've got her in a hidey house with a warm snuggle safe pad under her and fleece ontop of her. And have given up hope that she's strong enough to suckle so am feeding her CC every hour..

pizap.com10.70005999132990841396121086454.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.