Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bed Bugs and Guinea Pigs

My apartment is currently infested with bed bugs. I called my vet to see if my pigs need to get some kind of treatment or some kind of testing to be sure no eggs are on them. My vet didn't know so she refered me to the Bird and Exotic Pet Wellness center. I called the vet. that she said was the guinea pig expert. Well that office toldd me bed bugs were mites and that mites that bite humans don't infest animals and that mites that animals get won't bite or infest humans. Well that is wrong. Bed bugs will use an animal host. They prefer humans but will infest animals. So since the only exotic pet vet iwas wrong, I need absolutely anything on bed bugs and guinea pigs. My pigs will be boarded at my vet's office because all the ways to kill bed bugs I can't do with the pigs there and I want to be sure about the bed bugs before they get boarded. My vet is welcome to any suggestions on this situation and treatments if need be.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Re: Bed Bugs and Guinea Pigs

Your pigs should always be treated by an exotic, regardless of the situation. This is why, a regular vet doesn't know this sort of thing.

If bed bugs are considered mites then they should be treated with Ivermectin, which is a mite treatment. Again, an exotic vet would know this. If your pig is under 350g it needs prescribing.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,155 Rec'd/5,693 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3724 Post(s)

Bed bugs don't usually transmit disease. See the CDC FAQ here: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/bedbugs/faqs.html.

New York City has a huge bed bug problem. Here's their publication on how to get rid of them: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/download...-bug-guide.pdf.

Edited to add: They're not mites at all. Bed bugs are insects, mites are acarinas (whatever that is!).

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Inle_Rabbit's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,102 Rec'd/793 Posts
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Quoted
    568 Post(s)

Acarinas are a class of arachnids that contain mites and ticks. Arachnids differ from insects in a couple of ways but most notable is insects have six legs, arachnids have eight and insects have 3 body sections while arachnids have 2.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,155 Rec'd/5,693 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3724 Post(s)

Thanks, @Inle_Rabbit. I didn't have time at the moment to investigate it.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    Your pigs should always be treated by an exotic, regardless of the situation. This is why, a regular vet doesn't know this sort of thing.

If bed bugs are considered mites then they should be treated with Ivermectin, which is a mite treatment. Again, an exotic vet would know this. If your pig is under 350g it needs prescribing.
    It was the exotic pet expert vet that was wrong. Not Mine. She did not reccommend ANY treatment.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Yes, but your vet had to refer you to her. Guinea pigs are classed as exotic pets, so need treating by an exotic vet, it's not just my opinion. She was wrong about the mites issue, not all exotic vets are great (trust me, I know), but you do need to have an exotic vet, not a regular one. Is there not another exotic anywhere you could go to instead of that one?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, she is the only one in the area. My vet is wonderful. She could have just blindly treated them the same as a cat or dog. I think we should agree to disagree because I don't want this same arguement again. I am pleased with my vet. That exotic vet also refuses to give advice to another vet asking.

So is that medication treatment the best one to try for mites?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

I'm surprised the exotic vet refuses to give advice, that seems a little bit detrimental IMO. You'd assume they're in that career to help animals, so if another vet asks for advice to help an animal, you'd think they'd help!

Ivermectin is a general term, you can use Revolution which is available all over the place. @bpatters knows far more about what type you need and how much to use though. I'm fairly certain it's '0.5% pour on' but don't buy it until it's confirmed, I don't want to lead you astray. However you do need to weigh your pigs first, because if they're under 350g, they need it prescribing by a vet.

11. "Thank you, Princess_Piggie, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,155 Rec'd/5,693 Posts
    Mentioned
    2009 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3724 Post(s)

Actually, it depends on where you are as to how available Revolution is. It requires a vet's prescription in the US, while ivermectin is available over the counter.

Ivermectin is pretty useless against bedbugs. It works on other biting bugs, like mice, because they burrow in and feed all the time. That way, they get enough of it from the blood of the host that it kills them. But bed bugs bite only occasionally, like once a week or so, so it doesn't really do much too them. Additionally, one study recently found that it only kills about 60% of the bugs that get an adequate dose of it.

You don't have to treat the people or the animals to get rid of the bed bugs. You do that by cleaning them out of, or killing them in, the places where they hide. If you carefully look over a guinea pig and it doesn't have a bed bug on it (and it won't, as they're mostly active at night), it's not infested with bed bugs. They don't hide in fur, or in the folds of skin.

13. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So I have a game plan now. My pigs will get boarded at my vet. While there she will check them over first and then to be better safe than sorry, they will get treated with Revolution. Both times I saw the bed bugs crawling on my shirt ( yes eww) I had a guinea pig on my lap. So maybe there is something with them that is attracting them. Maybe not the animal persay but like their dander. The steam treatment also means I have leave as well.

User Tag List