Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Orchard Grass Versus Timothy Hay

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I've been researching more about calcium since Odette had her stone. I've cut out romaine lettuce from their diet, and switched them to KMS. But, I'm wondering about hay. I currently feed timothy hay, but I noticed that orchard grass has a lower calcium content than timothy. Should I be feeding orchard grass? Should I be mixing 50/50? Why is timothy the grass hay that is most commonly recommended instead of orchard grass? Also, oat hay has a lower calcium content than timothy, what are people's thoughts on adding oat hay to their diet?

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the calcium issue, but I feed only Orchard Grass due to allergies, the piggies love it, and my husband isn't sneezing his life away. It's a win win for us haha

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Orchard grass is perfectly fine. Timothy is typically a readily-available grass hay, which is why you hear about it more.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I prefer orchard grass because it's soft, no matter what season. My guinea pigs seem to prefer it. I don't know if the difference in calcium between the different grass hays is really significant but if a guinea pig is prone to stones, I'd just try and stay as close to the recommended Ca:p because too much phosphorus can also cause phosphate stones and bone problems. You'd need to have the stone analyzed to know for sure what it's made of. You can try and achieve a good Ca:p by trying to get a diet that stays near the ideal ratio which guinealynx lists as 1.33 calcium to 1 phosphorus.

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
It looks like the difference in calcium is not that significant. I am not sure where second or third cut timothy fits in the chart, as it contains overall and then different amts for prebloom, early, mid, late-bloom; midbloom timothy has less ca than the orchard, but overall timothy has a bit more. The Ca:p ratio is closer to ideal on the orchard, but also factor in the veggies you give. https://www.guinealynx.info/hay_chart.html

As of late I have been feeding orchard grass because it's been the nicest. I would feel fine using either simply based on better-looking hay. (And I have gone through stones with a pig.)

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I just got some KMS Bluegrass and it is very nice hay. I also feed my girls 3rd cut Timothy from KMS and I bought a box of regular Orchard grass a while back. I like giving my girls variety in their hay.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I prefer orchard grass because it's soft, no matter what season. My guinea pigs seem to prefer it. I don't know if the difference in calcium between the different grass hays is really significant but if a guinea pig is prone to stones, I'd just try and stay as close to the recommended Ca:p because too much phosphorus can also cause phosphate stones and bone problems. You'd need to have the stone analyzed to know for sure what it's made of. You can try and achieve a good Ca:p by trying to get a diet that stays near the ideal ratio which guinealynx lists as 1.33 calcium to 1 phosphorus.

I did have her stone analyzed and it was calcium.

I'm taking her in on Tuesday for her next echo (she also is a heart pig), maybe I'll talk with the vet about what hay I should be using.

kanojochan

Cavy Slave
I was actually kind of wondering this myself. The timothy hay takes my allergies to a new level of ridiculousness that I've never experienced before. A friend recommended switching to orchard grass to help with the allergies. Will it still be coarse enough to grind down their teeth properly?

I'm also in the researching phase of air purifier shopping...

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Yes, orchard hay will keep their teeth ground down. You can also use bluegrass from KMS, I'm really allergic to Timothy but orchard and bluegrass don't bother me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.