Thread: Is it too soon for my guinea pig to be aquainted to the new arrival?

Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Is it too soon for my guinea pig to be aquainted to the new arrival?

Yesterday, we went to the Humane Society and adopted a new 6 month old male guinea pig. We named him gizmo because he is super fast and is hard to catch when we want to hold him . He is a black and white cavy and we decided to separate the two pigs for 3 weeks for the quarantine period. We put a divider in our 120L x 60 W cage and covered a fleece blanket over it so they couldn't peek through. All they could hear was each others movements and squeaks.

Stellar, our rebel already decided to be clever and found a way to get under the blanket and peek at the new arrival. He never squeaked or behaved in a aggressive nature which was odd since he is the dominant cavy of the cage. He just likes to watch in maybe curiosity. Me and my boyfriend our deciding if we should just keep them separate but just uncover the blanket so they can see each other face to face.

Gizmo is a tad smaller than Stellar but they are both 6 months old which is what we planned on in the beginning before deciding to adopt. We are still getting to know Gizmo as he was found abandoned in an overnight facility. There was no info that came with him so we don't know if he has overly aggressive tendencies. So far he has been a doll...very active and cuddly. Very chatty too. We have been feeding him timothy hay, romaine lettuce, pellets, a little carrot for treats and he enjoys his snack shack logs.

So far Stellar seems to be adjusting well on the other side of the cage and mainly just does his own thing. He will still peek on occasion but we try to limit his visiting time as we need to get Gizmo in for a check up just in case. I am hoping the two boys get along and with what I have seen Stellar might but not sure about gizmo. He was so used to be alone in his own cage for several weeks at the shelter we got him from.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you and we will post pics soon <3

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,243 Rec'd/5,770 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3812 Post(s)

Re: Is it too soon for my guinea pig to be aquainted to the new arrival?

Well, that's not quarantine. Quarantine is when they're separated by enough distance that no diseases and parasites can be exchanged between them. In a separate room is better, but in the same divided cage doesn't work. So you might as well go ahead and introduce them.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

To add on to bpatters advice, remove the snack shack log. They're very unhealthy and guinea pigs shouldn't have them, ever. They're bound with molasses and honey and some contain wood shavings.

Make sure you introduce them properly, don't just put them in the cage together right off.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Added to what others have said, it's probably best to introduce them since if either of the pigs had diseases it would have spread anyways, due to being in same cage.

A good introduction is by using a space where no pig has either been before (including nothing available with either of their scents on it). This is so no fighting over spaces goes on. While introducing them you'll need to clean the cage, bedding (new bedding or clean fleece thoroughly), and clean the toys and other accessories as well.

Guinea Lynx has this on the subject: http://www.guinealynx.info/records/viewtopic.php?t=37

Hope all goes well for your pigs! <3

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KmParis View Post
    Yesterday, we went to the Humane Society and adopted a new 6 month old male guinea pig. We named him gizmo because he is super fast and is hard to catch when we want to hold him . He is a black and white cavy and we decided to separate the two pigs for 3 weeks for the quarantine period. We put a divider in our 120L x 60 W cage and covered a fleece blanket over it so they couldn't peek through. All they could hear was each others movements and squeaks.

Stellar, our rebel already decided to be clever and found a way to get under the blanket and peek at the new arrival. He never squeaked or behaved in a aggressive nature which was odd since he is the dominant cavy of the cage. He just likes to watch in maybe curiosity. Me and my boyfriend our deciding if we should just keep them separate but just uncover the blanket so they can see each other face to face.

Gizmo is a tad smaller than Stellar but they are both 6 months old which is what we planned on in the beginning before deciding to adopt. We are still getting to know Gizmo as he was found abandoned in an overnight facility. There was no info that came with him so we don't know if he has overly aggressive tendencies. So far he has been a doll...very active and cuddly. Very chatty too. We have been feeding him timothy hay, romaine lettuce, pellets, a little carrot for treats and he enjoys his snack shack logs.

So far Stellar seems to be adjusting well on the other side of the cage and mainly just does his own thing. He will still peek on occasion but we try to limit his visiting time as we need to get Gizmo in for a check up just in case. I am hoping the two boys get along and with what I have seen Stellar might but not sure about gizmo. He was so used to be alone in his own cage for several weeks at the shelter we got him from.

Any advice is welcome. Thank you and we will post pics soon <3
    I don't know what a snack shack log is but I don't recommend anything for guinea pigs excepts vegetables and fruit. No dairy, no bread, and especially none of those treats you buy in pet stores. Those just do not work as it can be a choking hazard that can lead to devastating consequences. Also buy them good quality food. I'd recommend oxbow or kms hayloft. KMS is best brand in the world but oxbow is best brand you can get at a pet store. It can get rather expensive, but if you want the best for them and can afford it I'd recommend that. Also get them Vitamin C by oxbow. Those chew-able tablets are absolutely delicious and my piggies love it. Do not get them an exercise ball or wheel, it'll injure legs and can break their back, which can cause them to be paralyzed. You will need to get them each a pigloo. They are very shy animals at first and they can get skittish. They need a place to hide so they can feel secure.

Here are some useful websites to check out.
    http://www.guinealynx.info/plea.html http://www.cavymadness.com/AtoZ/new-guinea-pig.html And don't take this title seriously. It's more like 20 ways to avoid killing your pet. http://www.guineapigmanual.com/20-mi...kill-your-pet/

Hope this helps Don't worry about the mistakes you've made. Just becareful from now on. Guinea pigs are hearty animals. They usually happy animals if there's nothing bothering them.

User Tag List