Thanks
    Thanks
    256 Rec'd/202 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Veggies for a 'Special' Pig

I everyone. I am currently in the process of giving my piggy more veggies, as he doesn't get too much now. But, before I start tossing out treats, I'd like to know what I can give.

My pig is "special" because he's sickly, probably due to being a pet store pig and having misfortunes in care. Here are his problems:

1) High sugar
    2) Gas
    3) Excess calcium (leading to stones)

Just so this thread doesn't get too complicated, I've already chosen a sample diet I like. It's the first one, labeled "Jarbax's Diet". The link: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...e-Veggie-Menus

Please tell me any adjustments in measurement (smaller serving), veggies I shouldn't give to my "special" pig at all, and any replacements for veggies that he can't have.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,278 Rec'd/5,798 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3844 Post(s)

Re: Veggies for a 'Special' Pig

Jarbax's diet is not suitable for a pig prone to stones. There are any number of high-calcium veggies in there that should be avoided. And just in passing, those diets on that thread are WAY too complicated to follow for very long. You need to pick 8-10 things that your pig will eat -- some to feed every day, some to rotate every day or so.

Here's an example of a low-calcium diet (it's the one my pigs are on). This is for two pigs: 2-4 leaves of red or green leaf lettuce (depends on size of the leaves), 2-4 baby carrots or carrot chunks, 1/4-1/3 of a bell pepper, 1/2 roma tomato (or equivalent of other tomatoes), 1/2 belgian endive, 1/8-1/6 head of radicchio, 4-5 young green beans, 2-3 wheels of zucchini. They also get corn husks and silks every day that I can find them.

I'm curious about how you know he has "high sugar," and about the excess calcium leading to stones. Has he actually had a stone, or is just showing sludge.

What exactly is he getting to eat now?

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Guineapigpro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    256 Rec'd/202 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

Thanks, @bpatters ! He has powdery pee often, and every time we get his urine checked, my vet sees lots of "crystals." Also, my family believes he has passed a stone before (when we didn't know the signs) but very luckily passed it. He had blood in his urine and all of a sudden, it stopped.

He too has been checked for sugar, and it was so high, that he had to be checked for diabetes.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    552 Rec'd/422 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    336 Post(s)

For high sugar, cut the carrots and fruits if you feed them. Tomato maybe every other day or so. Otherwise bpatters diet looks good for calcium and sugar issues.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,278 Rec'd/5,798 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3844 Post(s)

Again, what exactly do you feed him, and how much of each item?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Guineapigpro's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    256 Rec'd/202 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    138 Post(s)

I'm sorry!
    I am giving him lettuce (green or romaine), maybe a leaf and a half, a carrot, and a brussel sprout daily. I'm trying to get him used to the peppers so I can give him some of those.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,278 Rec'd/5,798 Posts
    Mentioned
    2035 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3844 Post(s)

No romaine -- some pigs excrete calcium like crazy when fed romaine. Red or green leaf lettuce is a much better choice.

Brussel sprouts and other cruciferous vegetables can also produce a lot of gas, and should be totally avoided in pigs that seem to have problems with them.

9. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    696 Rec'd/601 Posts
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Quoted
    371 Post(s)

I may be wrong but wouldn't Brussels Sprouts be too gassy of a vegetable to feed? Of course, I may be projecting my extreme dislike of them to a piggie palate.

User Tag List