Thread: Nail trimming - very hard with my squirmy pig.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nail trimming - very hard with my squirmy pig.

My oldest pig, Professor Furrybottom, will not accept getting nail trimmings.

His nails are still in good condition as I have force trimmed them, but I do not want to do that anymore. I had an accident, even, one time because he is so against nail trimming (it wasn't deep and was immediately applied to with styptic powder, and he has been totally fine since).

I've found attracting him to the fencing of the cage and getting him to climb up using a treat helps, but definitely doesn't work for back toes or "thumb" toes. The fencing of the cage is a bit too thick anyway and doesn't allow me to get to the toenails very well.

I've tried wrapping him in a towel but that makes him more scared and it makes the process worse. I cannot find an easy angle to do it at to where I can get the nail without cutting the quick. When I trim the nail he pulls his leg back (thank you so much, goofy). I don't go too deep, he just does NOT like his toes being messed with. VERY squirmy pig, and to top it off he hates being picked up. Any easy way to do it? I might have to get a sharper pair of nail trimmers while I'm at it, that could be a bit of a problem too.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/9 Posts

Re: Nail trimming - very hard with my squirmy pig.

I'd love to know, too! I haven't had our piggy for too long so I've only done it a couple times....but it literally takes FOREVER (like....days, !). I just tried the other night and got maybe 4 or 5 nails done :/

I've always attempted with him on my lap (but he is a cuddler). If you get him on your lap, I'd try letting him relax for a while. Does he like carrots? Giving him something to nibble on (that takes longer to eat) might help. Unfortunately, our guy doesn't like carrots! I try at night when he's sleepy, and like I said, get him relaxed for a bit before I try. Unfortunately, that means I don't have daylight on my side to see what I'm doing!

Will be watching for more suggestions, too!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

A big pile of veggies is usually a good distraction. What nail clippers are you using, human or rodent? There are pros and cons of each, but human clippers need to be used at an angle as they're curved differently, and can hurt if you use them the same way you would on yourself, as well as break/pull the nail.

I just get my girls clipped at the vets as my girls are extra squirmy and I can't manage it by myself.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Blog Entries

I use rodent clippers

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

If you bought them from a pet store, chances are they aren't particularly sharp. I have a pair I bought off my vet for when the girls are in a good mood, I'll practice on one nail, whichever is the longest really. I definitely noticed a difference in how easily they cut compared to ones you buy in a shop.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

My guinea pig Chumbullee doesn't like getting her nails cut, either. We cut her nails two days ago. At first my sister and I tried having her hold it and me clipping, but Chumbullee kept trying to squirm out of my sister's grasp, and so unfortunately I cut her flesh a few times!
    In the end, I sat on the floor, put my knees up, and basically used my legs and arms as walls to stop her from squirming. I also fed her a lot of lettuce to distract her, and managed to get it done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Basically, all my piggies are very nice about it. Takes about 5min. 10min., if i feel they need a short break. But I had an accident with Udyr the second time i had to clip his nails. He was really squirmy, and even though the clipper didnt clip anything, he was twisting himself so much he hurt himself. At least something good came out of it, he is now always perfectly well-behaved when its time to clip his nails again.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Blog Entries

@Krymle

Lucky, when my pig had an accident from squirming it's only made him worse. -.-

@Princess_Piggie
    Thank you for the advice, when I get a chance I might get them. My problem is I cannot drive and the nearest Cavy-Savvy vet is 3 hours away from me, a distance neither of my parents would be willing to drive unless it's an emergency.

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

You could always call and ask that they post them to you, if payment over the phone is an option

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hopefully, or I can just order some online if need be. Do you know any way to sharpen the ones I currently have?

User Tag List