Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

bedding question

I use paper bedding for my 2 male pigs. i have tried fleece in the past works great but i was haveing problems with keeping it clean i work sometimes 11 or 12 hour days and its a total mess when i get home. i usaly use carefresh natural or petco brand paper bedding.... http://www.petco.com/product/107558/...%20Soda-107558
    my cage takes a whole 60 litter bag which is 20 bucks a week. i was thinking of going to aspen wood as a bottom layer with paper bedding as a top layer to save a little bit of money. http://www.petco.com/product/117368/..._BeddingLitter
    i do not want to harm the pigs at all and will gladly spend the extra money for full paper bedding if that setup is not a good idea or will harm them. but from what i have read aspen wood is totaly fine for them. what do you guys think. good or bad idea?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/68 Posts

Re: bedding question

That sounds like a great way to save money, CareFRESH is very expensive! Also, since aspen is a hardwood there is no harmful oils that can cause respiratory issues like softwood products.

Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts

Yes aspen or kiln dired pine are nice disposable bedding. I use aspen in my girls cage till I switch to fleece. I've always used aspen bedding and I like the idea of putting paper bedding on top. Really it depend on the individual to decide what works best. And in your situation disposable bedding sounds like the better option.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/8 Posts

+1 on the aspen wood on bottom and paper pellets/carefresh on top. I used to do this for Basil until her new cagemate, a Texel, joined the mix. Now I use wood pellets- but I'm really missing the aspen/carefresh combo though, taking the trash out gets to be so heavy now a days!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post

i tried this combo today i realy like it so far. thank you guys for the advice. i was able to get 56.6 l of aspen wood bedding for 10 dollars on sell at petco. seems i should get a whole month if not more use out of that it expands to 110L and a small 14 litter bag of paper bedding for 7 bucks. which i used that whole bag as the top layer..... thats just for now so i had the paper bedding. at dr foster and smith i was able to get carefresh 60l of paper bedding natural for 14 dollars on sell. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=21312 based on what i used today that bag should give me 4 weeks usage so a month went from 80 dollars in litter to just 26 dollars.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

First posting. I have two female guineas in a 4x2 c/c cage. Love love love the c&c cage! 3/4 of their cage is fleece, other 1/4 is their "kitchen." I was using puppy training pads solely in kitchen, which works well, but I HATE when my guineas step in their poop (gets in their nails). I am good about checking pads several times a day, but guineas poop like play dough factories, it is hard to keep a clean kitchen with constant poop and pee. I am now using pads underneath a layer of Carefresh, but when I spot clean the poops, I end up pulling out so much of the Carefresh bedding. Then I get frustrated and end up pouring more on top...cha Ching, cha Ching. My questions: how do you effectively spot clean Carefresh? Should I be spot cleaning or doing full change once a week? How can people go a WEEK before changing the bedding!? There is soooo much poop and pee in just one day! Carefresh is great, but not an affordable answer to bedding. I know aspen is suggested, but again, isn't it hard removing poop from wood chips? Am I just being overly OCD about keeping their cage poop free? Ugh...I keep imagining having them sit on an itty bitty toilet, reading newspaper...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    869 Rec'd/749 Posts

@Welewis "guineas poop like play dough factories", omg, you nailed it, ! I don't spot clean the carefresh, I use a dustpan and thoroughly mix it up once a week between cage cleanings. It shifts the poo to the bottom and gets the dry bedding to the top so they are pooping and peeing on the dry cleaner carefresh that was underneath before.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/12 Posts

@Welewis you might get more answers on your own thread.
    your pigs sound very spoilt like mine .If I see poops everywhere on the fleece I just do a full cage clean for the heck of doing it.(washing 3loads of fleeces and towels a week can be about a tenner so I need to teach myself to realise my pigs Te happy with the cage after I do a big spot clean after two days)They always seem to poop more on day two

User Tag List