Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Possibly adding to the family later today

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
So I'm possibly going to adopt two 4 month old female guninea pigs and I was wondering if I can put them in th same cage with Dora and Olivia, since all 4 are females, or is it better to house them in two seperate cages.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
They need to go through a minimum 21 day quarantine in a separate cage and separate room from your current pigs.

Once quarantine is up you can introduce them in a neutral area with lots of hay and veggies and see how they get along. https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm
Check out that page for some information on pigs and introductions!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
They need to go through a minimum 21 day quarantine in a separate cage and separate room from your current pigs.

Once quarantine is up you can introduce them in a neutral area with lots of hay and veggies and see how they get along. https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Thanks. I was already thinking of putting them in my room just so there wouldn't be an problems between the to sets just for a month or so anywsys.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave

Thanks again. I'm still in the planning stages on this. Somebody wants to get rid of the two baby guinea pigs so I'm looking into possibly taking them.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
If you get them, post pigtures! Good luck :)

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
If you get them, post pigtures! Good luck :)

It looks like there is three of them 3 weeks old, but they are moving and need to get rid of them asap and there just asking for them to go to a good home. I'm really thinking about doing it, and building a 2 x 4 cage in my room for them.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
So there are 3 girls? Would you get all of them or just 2?

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Let us know how is goes, keep us updated :)

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Let us know how is goes, keep us updated :)

Here is where I need help. I know they can eat the same vegetables as I'm giving Dora and Olivia and that they need alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay until there 6 months old, but is there anything I'm missing.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Here is a picture of all 3 of them. Looking at them, how could I seperate them as there all so cute.

01717_2bDIzno8DEN_600x450.jpg

GeekPrincess

Cavy Slave
So cute!

Make sure you mix regular hay with the alfalfa. And if after quarantine they all end up together you can switch them to regular pellets and just take the babies out for some alfalfa hay or parsley everyday.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
So cute!

Make sure you mix regular hay with the alfalfa. And if after quarantine they all end up together you can switch them to regular pellets and just take the babies out for some alfalfa hay or parsley everyday.

Let me make sure I have this correct. I give them a combination of half alfalfa and have timothy hay until they turn 6 months along with the alfalfa pellets and then I change to regular adult guinea pig pellets and hay, correct.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
So I'm getting probably just two of the babies tomorrow to give me time to build the new cage, get the correct size fleece, wash it, etc today. Off I go.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I suggest double checking the genders, good luck, they are adorable!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
I suggest double checking the genders, good luck, they are adorable!

That's the plan. Obviously two have to be the same gender.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yes that is fine but you need to quarentine them first. And after that you need to do an introduction. You can't just toss them in there. The others will see them as an intruder and will fight with them. Then once they are fine on neutral ground clean out the entire cage to eliminate all current scents. That includes cage, toys, hidey's, food bowls, water bottles, everything. If you have a c&c cage you should probably wash the grids and corex. I hope I've helped.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Yes that is fine but you need to quarentine them first. And after that you need to do an introduction. You can't just toss them in there. The others will see them as an intruder and will fight with them. Then once they are fine on neutral ground clean out the entire cage to eliminate all current scents. That includes cage, toys, hidey's, food bowls, water bottles, everything. If you have a c&c cage you should probably wash the grids and corex. I hope I've helped.

Thanks and the 21 day quarantine part I know about, and I'm currently out getting some extra grids, fleece etc, that hasn't been used for a 2 x 4 cage for the two babies for my room so they are completely away from Dora and Olivia. This way I'm good either way.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Oops, I misread, thought you were adopting all 3. I don't think I could do that, I'd feel bad for the one left behind.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Oops, I misread, thought you were adopting all 3. I don't think I could do that, I'd feel bad for the one left behind.

I'm still deciding on that. I think a 2 x4 C&C would be ok for 2 and possibly all 3.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.