Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Stones Star's medical thread

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Wow. How long have you had Star?

5 almost 6 years. When we first got him the pet store told me he was a she and then we took him to the vet and he said the same thing that he was a she. I didn't really trust the pet store clerk but I did trust the vet and he was wrong to.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Wow that must be a shocker. I forgot, did Star ever have a buddy? How did the operation go?

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
oh wow, that's crazy, I bet you expected anything but that!
fortunately Star fits a boy just as much as a girl, I think so you both got lucky in that department ;)
I hope he's doing good after the operation! glad you both made it through it

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Wow that must be a shocker. I forgot, did Star ever have a buddy? How did the operation go?

No he didn't because we had already had him for about 3 years befor I joined this forum. Then we tried with bella but she had gotten pregnent at the pet store and had to put her down. In case you don't know bella gave birth to still borns and we took her to the vet. And the vet checked her out and one was still inside her so the best thing for her was to put her down. Then ever since then we didn't try again and besides by that time we had gotten a new landlord who would not allow us to get another.

The operation went fine they got the bladder stone out and the vet said it was quite large to. And he is currently in recovery and we will be picking him up tomorrow morning.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
oh wow, that's crazy, I bet you expected anything but that!
fortunately Star fits a boy just as much as a girl, I think so you both got lucky in that department ;)
I hope he's doing good after the operation! glad you both made it through it

You got that right that was the last thing I was expecting. Especially after so many years thinking he was a girl. I can't get over that it took this surgery to find out she was a he.

Yea I think so that's what I was telling my star fits both boy and girls.

Yes he is doing good, the vet said they gave him some timothy hay. And we will be picking him up tomorrow morning. We will also have to change his diet.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I know I've already been talking about this so an admin may want to merge this the old thread with my new one.

Why didn't you just add the new information to her old thread?

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Re: Why is my guinea pig whinning uncontrolably?

I'm glad everything went well!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave

I wanted to let everyone know that star passed away last night at the hospital. They don't know what happened he was eating and everything, but something happened last night and they don't know what. :( and I can't stop crying thinking that maybe if we had picked him up last night he may still be alive.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry you've lost Star, I know how closely bonded you where to him. Maybe you can get the vet to perform one of those after-death (I can't quite remember the name) exams and find out what happened, it might bring you some comfort and closure.

Rywen

Cavy Slave

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear this, sad news. RIP little Star.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
Im so sorry! You did what was best for Star, Im sorry you lost him. You were a great piggy parent.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave

My mom thinks I should get another think it might make it easier. I know everyone will have a different opinion but what do you all think. Would it make it easier or should I wait a while.

PiggieWigglies

Cavy Slave
I personally found it easier to deal with Max's death by getting another one ASAP. Try rescues, craigslist, or petfinder for a pair of pigs. I assure you, the heart ache goes away but the memories stay :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave

Okay but its gonna take some time because we don't have any guinea pig rescues close. And it can be hard to fine any available guinea pigs for adoption at our humane society.

MommaOfFour

Cavy Slave
oh goodness, I'm sooo sorry to hear that! :( you did everything you possibly could have and I'm sure the vet did the same.
I'm sending you a big hug and lots of strength for this time of grieving.
I agree with @Princess_Piggie that it might be a good idea to have the vet perfrom an autopsy (if that is within reason) to give you more of an explanation as to what happened and closure.
as to whether or not you should get another piggy (or when), I don't have any advice on that. I haven't been in that type of situation but I think it depends on everyone individually. maybe wait a few days and think about it, maybe even look around at rescures/craigslist etc casually/without commitment to having to find another and if you feel you're being pulled to one of the piggies you see, go with your heart, if not, wait a bit longer. you and your next piggy will find each other when the time is right :)

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave

Yea well now I don't think the landlord will allow me to get any more.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave

I'm so sorry about Star, you did all you could. No reason to feel guilty. Sending hugs.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave

We're getting him cremated.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave

We're getting him cremated.

Did you have a necropsy done? It'll tell you why he died. It's a good thing to do, especially in a situation like this where the cause is unknown. We've had unknown deaths (that we assumed would have routine necropsy reports) come back with medical mistakes as the causes. I'm not saying that's the cause in this case, but it's good to know exactly what it was.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.