Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pigloo alternative

J

JeepsMom

Pigloo alternative

I found a very nice alternative to the Pigloo's which can be very pricey for a large one. I was at Wal-Mart yesterday spending a little money on my pets and found the following. In the kitchen accessories aisle, they have large, plastic spaghetti strainers. They are the same material as the pigloo's, maybe a little lighter which would be nice for summer. Colored plastic that you can see through. They have nice slits all the way around the bottom and sides which is good for air flow. I took a knife and cut a nice size opening for them to enter and exit and it works just as great as a pigloo. I put it in the center of the cage and it's light enough that they keep dragging it around to different places where they want it. Just a nice alternative. The strainer was $1.00 compared to 6 or 8 dollars. I was able to buy more toys with the difference and they loved that too.

Re: Pigloo alternative

glad you liked the idea, I had to go buy two more for the cage because they all wanted to be in it at once and they didn't fit. ;o)

Re: Pigloo alternative

ha ha that sounds familiar! i have to keep making bigger holes in my girls hidey box, altough i only have the 2 piggies, they both try to get in or out at the same time! or Candy wants to get in at the same time as Cotton wants to get out! lol they are funny! :rolleyes:

Re:pigloo alternative

Yes, that's a great idea. I am planning to do the same. First, I saw a photo here of one that appeared to be a solid plastic bowl with a door (I don't know if it's a converted bowl or a product officially sold as a "pigloo") and I thought I'd prefer to use a colander or plastic basket for better ventilation and cut a door in it.
My question is, have you had any problem with the g.pigs trying to chew on the edges of the door?

Great Buy

~I love that idea...what a great idea to do that...I have one guinea pig though...should i consider another one??~

Malcsy04 said:
~I love that idea...what a great idea to do that...I have one guinea pig though...should i consider another one??~

Unless you are able to spend lots and lots of time with your gp, I would recomend getting another gp. They are very social animals, and get lonely very easy. Having a buddy will make your gp very happy.

mrs_eads80 said:
Unless you are able to spend lots and lots of time with your gp, I would recomend getting another gp. They are very social animals, and get lonely very easy. Having a buddy will make your gp very happy.
Get another one even if you DO spend lots of time with your pig! It will make him/her SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy and he/she will still love you. If you have the option, definitely do it.

mrs_eads80 said:
I agree that you should get your piggy a buddy even if you see them all the time. Then you will really see his/her personality blossom. I spend a TON of time w/my piggles and they still love me the same, maybe more. They love to talk to each other, and they love each others' company. It's a great idea, so you should seriously consider it. =) Hope this helps.

My first pig never popcorned until we got the second a few months later. Then suddenly he was playing and jumping. He never touched the toys we had for him but now that he has a buddy, he's obviously happier.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.