Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Temporary cage?

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
So this spring break, I am going to Florida for about a week and my friend is going to take care of my guinea pigs during that time. The problem is my cage is pretty big as of now, a 2x4 grid and this weekend I am making another cage that will be 4x5 feet... So I need a temporary travel cage for my 2 guinea pigs. Does anyone have any suggestions?

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
How far do you have to travel with them? If your friend is close by, I'd just use a laundry basket.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I honestly can't think of any temporary cage set up that isn't permanent, if you know what I mean? For example you could get a large pet store cage if it's only for a week, and ask your friend to give them floor time?

ETA: Oh! Do you mean your friend can use the C&C, but you need something for the car? I thought you meant your friend couldn't take your C&C!

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
Well my friend could probably take a 3x2 C&C, but I'd have to check her room is small. I was thinking of just getting a large pet store cage from craigslist or the 3x2 and sewing a tarp bottom for space and ease. And she only lives about 15 minutes away so I wanted something that would fit in a car and her room. Sorry, I guess my question wasn't very clear, oops!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Do you have a pet carrier? If you use pet carrier, you can put them in the carrier while they're in the car.

Zip tie grids together to make it foldable, and leave the ends open until you get to your friends house, zip tie the ends together or use binder clips to clip them together. Use tarp or shower curtain for the cage bottom. You can use the carrier as their kitchen.

I have this carrier. It fits two pigs comfortably.
(broken link removed)

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
That's a good idea for use of a kitchen afterward. Yes I was thinking that the grids fold down easier and it would be a waste of money to buy a pet store cage. I already have a pet carrier for my cat and its would fit my two guinea pigs comfortably. But I don't know what you mean by leave the ends open?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How far will they be going? And will they need to stay in the cage for longer than just the time it takes to travel?

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
How far will they be going? And will they need to stay in the cage for longer than just the time it takes to travel?
They will be going just 15 mins from my house. They will just stay in the carrier until I set up the cage for them, which will only be a few minutes.

lissie

Cavy Slave
But I don't know what you mean by leave the ends open?

I meant to zip tie the grids together and not form a circle or rectangle until you get there. So you can fold the grids accordion style. Once you get there, you can clip the last two grids together to form the rectangle. The cage will look some what like this, except smaller.
(broken link removed)

KatherinesPigs

Cavy Slave
I meant to zip tie the grids together and not form a circle or rectangle until you get there. So you can fold the grids accordion style. Once you get there, you can clip the last two grids together to form the rectangle. The cage will look some what like this, except smaller.
(broken link removed)
Oh! Yea thats a good idea, I have a boat load of binder clips that I could use.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.