Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My guinea pigs are pregnant and are very itchy

elaynamyjoy

Cavy Slave
I have 3 guinea pigs and 2 are pregnant we had 2 and then were given a 3rd on which we were told was a girl also. Well after a few days together I noticed the new one kept humping the girls. I then took him in and had him sexed and found out he was a boy. I separated them and now 64 days later I have 2 very pregnant guinea pigs. I am not a breeder and am not looking to be criticized. I had guinea pigs as a child and wanted my daughter to enjoy them as much as I did.
My question right now is they are itching like crazy and was wondering if this normal right before they give birth or is something wrong.
My next question would be if there are any veterinarians or clinics in the san jose area that are cheaper. I can't afford right now to take them to the vet.
My daughter and I love our guinea pigs and just want them to be ok.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

elaynamyjoy

Cavy Slave
I haven't notices any scabs and it just started in the last couple of days. They are very pregnant and I worry about treating them I don't want to harm the baby's. Are these treatments safe for them if they are pregnant

They probably need to be treated for mites. See https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html and follow the links about treatment.

The Durvet .5% pour-on ivermectin is the easiest to use.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Treating for mites is safe when they're pregnant, yes. You won't necessarily see any scabbing, and you can't see mites with the naked eye anyway. Even vet skin scrapings won't always show them. The only way to know for sure is treating for them, and seeing if the itching stops.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ivermectin is safe for pregnant pigs. Pups have to be 350 grams before being treated with ivermectin.

elaynamyjoy

Cavy Slave
E=bpatters;843749]Ivermectin is safe for pregnant pigs. Pups have to be 350 grams before being treated with ivermectin.[/QUOTE]

thank you for the help I will pick up the medicine on my way home tonight.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Good luck and let us know how there doing and if the med helps.

elaynamyjoy

Cavy Slave
Ok I didn't realize that I cannot get the medicine anywhere. You have to have an appointment with a vet to get the medicine. I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow. I am out of town on business and she started having contractions last night. I figured by morning we would have baby's but it looks like her contractions stopped. Every contraction she would hunch up and squeal really loud and then it would stop she seamed to be breathing very heavy and didn't want eat or drink. This morning the report is that she is eating and drinking and running around the cage like normal. Is something wrong? I am not sure what to do. I am out of town and my husband works at night. He took tomorrow off work to be able to take them to the vet tomorrow. I am just really worried. I have been on the computer all day and it doesn't look good.

elaynamyjoy

Cavy Slave
She was contracting of an on for about 6 hours from what I can tell by the reports I am getting from home.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
She needs to see the vet as soon as possible, so I'm glad your husband is taking her.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can get ivermectin at any feed store or order it online. In the US, it does NOT need a prescription from a vet.

elaynamyjoy

Cavy Slave
Ok we took them to the vet and treated for mites.
Saturday Pebbles had her babies 3 of them
and Monday Coconut had her babies 3 of them.
They are all doing well and are so cute.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That's good news!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.