Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Swollen genitals, wet scabs, discoloration

Hi

I have a female guinea pig approx. 5 years old. She's had reoccurring UTIs, which comes from her sitting low to the ground and having long hair around her bottom. I just noticed tonight that her genital area is very swollen and it looks infected (also an odor present). I tried to clean her bottom off and ended up pulling (what I thought was dry poop) a scab/skin from her bottom. She also has a bald patch of skin on her leg and it is flaky looking.

Yes, I know I should see a vet and will call mine first thing in the morning. I want to know if anyone else has seen this and any ideas on what it could be. She is still eating and drinking normally. She is still energetic (putting up a nice struggle, so that's a good sign). The pigs are kept in a fleece C&C and the other pig is not showing signs of genital abnormalities.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Swollen genitals, wet scabs, discoloration

Also, she does not squeak when she urinates. She is still eating her hay and food normally.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

I'm sorry your pig is sick. The odor is indeed a sign of infection, and the recurrent UTIs can be causing her to dribble urine. You can help by cutting her skirts short, giving her a warm water butt bath, and keeping her cage scrupulously clean. The recurring UTIs may be because they're not getting completely cleared up, so she may need to be on it longer in order to get it completely cleared up.

I'd also want an x-ray to check for sludge/stones. She may have either, and either would irritate her bladder enough to account for the failure to clear up the UTIs.

Good luck, and let us know how she gets along.

4. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vet took an x-ray and found no stones. He put her on Baytril pills for 6 days to help clean up the infection. He thinks the scabbing is from her cleaning herself due to the irritation.

She is still eating and drinking normally, which makes me happy. Gonna keep a closer eye on her and make sure the cage is super clean. Thanks!

User Tag List