Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Normal weight gain?

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
I weigh both my pigs at least once a week and was just wondering how they're doing. Mostly Maybelline.

At 3 1/2 months my Penelope was 575g and is now 4 months 1wk and weighs 650g. So that's a 75g weight gain in 3wks. Most of that she gained in the last two weeks.

I wasn't expecting her gain to be huge because she had issues with a URI. However even when she had the URI, she luckily never lost weight, she still always gained. She never looked too thin to me and especially now she looks very healthy. I still weigh her everyday though just because I'm paranoid.

At 3 1/2 months (the day I got her) Miss Maybelline weighed 620g. She had a little chubby stomach on her. I wasn't surprised because her previous owner didn't take proper care of her and gave her treats all the time. Now at 4 months 1wk she weighs 755g. So in 3wks she's gained 135g.

Maybelline is still in quarantine because I'm still watching Penelope as I want to be 100% sure she is all better. I don't want Maybelline to get sick too. Because of this she is in a store bought cage still and really has nothing else to do besides eat. Lol however I'm surprised she gained so much. Or is a 135g weight gain in 3wks normal for a younger pig? Her stomach seems even bigger now. Which started worrying me that she might be pregnant. I don't think so just because I feel she would be much bigger by now if she was. The girl that had her before said she had her for about a month. I know she had her for a least two weeks because that's when she put up the ad. I've had her for 3 wks so if she was pregnant she would be at least five weeks pregnant. Would it be totally obvious by now if she was pregnant? Or no? I tried very gently feeling for any little piggie bodies moving around her stomach but didn't feel anything.

However something weird was happening with my scale. When I weigh Penelope, the scale makes up it's mind what weight she is, and it stays on that number as long as she stays still. But when I weighed Maybelline, though she was still, the number wouldn't stay even after a minute of waiting, like something was moving around.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Bumping this up.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
I tried putting other things on the scale, different bowls to zero out, different things to put in it, and it worked just fine. I figured out the scale kept moving because of the surface it was on while I was weighing her. I weighed her again the next day on a different surface and it stayed still that time. Sigh of relief here.

Penelope is a normal short hair american, and has gotten lots of checkups, as she has had issues with her health. My vet said she is doing good but I just wanted to throw her in if anyone was curious. I have to keep her on probiotics and vit. C tabs. She gets unlimited KMS pellets and a cup of veggies per night. (Obviously unlimited hay too.)

Maybelline is a coronet/Silkie. Mostly I was wondering if a 135g weight gain was normal in a 3wk period for a four month old. Though I guess no one knows. She is due for another checkup soon. I really hope she's just a little fat...

I feed her a cup of veggies every night, no fruit ever, and unlimited KMS pellets because she will go crazy in her cage if they're gone and I thought since she is under 6 months that would be okay. I'm scared to cut back her food if she's pregnant, wouldn't that be bad? I think I'll wait until after the appointment to see if I should cut back her food. If she's not pregnant, which I'm hoping and praying so hard for, that would be awful, then I guess I should give her the recommend pellets and maybe cut back her veggies to 1/2 cup? I'll ask my vet about that too.

Thank you @spy9doc for your helpful response. :)

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
*sigh* Miss Maybelline is the biggest diva I have ever met besides myself. She does NOT accept being ignored. Poor thing. I guess she'll just have to get used to it. No unlimited pellets for that chubby piggy anymore. I'll give you all an update when I find out if she is pregnant or not. Prayers that she isn't would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.