Thread: Please Help! Piggie Bloated, Mommy Scared!!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Please Help! Piggie Bloated, Mommy Scared!!

Hi There,

A while ago I posted about aggression in the cage between the mommy and daddy after their daughter died. I got some very helpful tips, but none of them worked! I tried to reintroduce them with a cage divider, and I even tried the "Guinea pigs who bathe together stay together" Technique! The mommy, Cookie, walked away with many scars, and a hole through her ear. I have had them separated for months and both of them are sad :( If any one has anymore suggestions please let me know!

Anyways, a new problem has come up in the past few days. Cookie, the one who was being bullied before, has become bloated. Now I have dealt with bloating before, but never like this. She is still eating, drinking, running around and pooping regularly, which normally I find doesn't happen when my piggies get bloat.

Her rights side is huge and full and is loosing hair, but on her left side, I can feel her ribs. (Just btw, she was fine a few days ago.) Her whole under belly is very full and hard. She jerks back when I try to massage it, or even put a little pressure on it.

Please Help!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Re: Please Help! Piggie Bloated, Mommy Scared!!

That's not bloat. If she's eating and pooping and acting normally, she's not bloated. It sounds like she may have an ovarian cyst, or some other sort of growth, on her right side. I'd get her to a good exotic vet ASAP.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    That's not bloat. If she's eating and pooping and acting normally, she's not bloated. It sounds like she may have an ovarian cyst, or some other sort of growth, on her right side. I'd get her to a good exotic vet ASAP.
    Thanks for the info. Is there anything I can do meanwhile? Is there anything else it could be??

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

You'd have to see a vet to be sure. But the fact that it is only on one side implies a growth of some sort. There's nothing really to do except get her to a vet. It could be an ovarian cyst. Those can rupture, and then you'd lose your pig. But surgery for them, in the hands of a competent surgeon, is very possible. So I'd try very hard to get in ASAP.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    You'd have to see a vet to be sure. But the fact that it is only on one side implies a growth of some sort. There's nothing really to do except get her to a vet. It could be an ovarian cyst. Those can rupture, and then you'd lose your pig. But surgery for them, in the hands of a competent surgeon, is very possible. So I'd try very hard to get in ASAP.

Hi

How long do you think I have? The lump just about fits in my 13 year olds hand, we can feel it now.... also today there was significant hair loss...

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

There's no way to know. There's always a danger of a cyst rupturing, but it's by no means certain. The problem is that if it does rupture, she'll likely bleed to death internally.

User Tag List