Thread: new cages, girls toegther!. Maybe switching to fleece?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/20 Posts

new cages, girls toegther!. Maybe switching to fleece?

I just introduced my two girls today after the new one had her time alone. She's sooo much better. When i first got her she wasn't moving much or doing anything really. Well now shes the smallest and the loudest!. she already knows the sound of the fridge. but putting them together went great!. i dont have any pictures of that because there on my moms phone. there was no aggravation or anything. just a lot of smelling and some licking. I was worried about the size difference as my oldest jelly bean is 3 and huge. and my baby is now 7? weeks and is very very tiny. but they are fine and in their new cage running around. which is so new to jelly bean. since gummy bear died about a month and a half ago she hasnt moved really at all execpt to eat and run to hide during floor time. so im very happy with that.

And then there is the boys!. The ones I got from a woman who had them living in a tote. well today they went from the make shift cage I had that was better then the tote but still not big enough. In the other cage they were fighting a lot. No blood or anything but they weren't happy. And there health has improved since I've had them. And since they have been in their new cage, there hasn't been much fighting at all after they realized now much room they had. They looked sooo confused when I first put them in the new one. It was so cute. I wish I had pictures of that.

Both cages are 2by4 with a one by two loft. I don't like the ramps they came with so I will be making/buying better ones. And I need to get hay racks. I just put it where ever right now. but they do have it all the time.

This is the girls cage. I had to cover the ramp with fleece so Patty could get up it. She's the only one who's gone up it so far.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140214-00467.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	61277

This is the boys cage. They don't use houses. So they only have one. I have tried so many different houses for them but they just wont use them. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Name:	IMG-20140214-00468.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	61278

Both of the girls. The little one is Peppermint Patty. I like the candy theme names.

Name:	IMG-20140214-00474.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	61280

These are the boys. About a yearish old. The darker one is milk dud. and the lighter one is cow tail. Who is actually trying to climb under the ramp.. I'm not sure why he was doing this. Since this is when I was using food to try and get them to go up the ramp and he went under. This is one of the reasons I want different ramps. I'm not it they will be able to hold up to the weight of these big boys forever.

Name:	IMG-20140213-00463(1).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	61281

The boys are actually my mom's. And the girls are mine and will be moving to Florida with me in July.
    And we are thinking about switching to fleece after we found out how many shavings we will be going through with the new big cages!. Plus fleece looks so much better to me and from what I've seen on here pigs seem to be happier with it. Any advice?

Oh! and ideas for cheap safe toys!? They seem to be pretty bored.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20140214-00470.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	61279  

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

Re: new cages, girls toegther!. Maybe switching to fleece?

What little cuties! If I where you I would definitely switch to fleece, I went from shavings to fleece too and it was the best thing I ever did.

2x4 sounds like it may be a little small for boys, but there are some pairings that get on in that size. Just in case any fighting occurs, so as you know it may be due to size.

I like to get a cardboard box and cut two 'tunnel' entrances in, it doubles as a hidey too

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/20 Posts

If they do continue and don't use the ramp then I'm taking the top and making it a 5 by 2 instead. It's cut down a lot since they got moved. And I think it will stop when they actually notice they have more room.

I want to switch. Fleece will look so much cuter and they will love it. I just worry about my washer.

I'll have to find a box!

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

As long as you don't wash it with your other clothes and such, I don't think there'll be any issue. Make sure you shake off as much hay as possible before putting it in there, obviously. I recommend popping on a set of rubber/vinyl gloves and scraping the fleece with those on too. Our washer had issues at first because I wasn't getting enough hay off, but not now that I figured out the rubber glove and shake trick!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/20 Posts

Yeah they won't be washed with cloths. I like my cloths free of guniea pig pee even while washing. Lol. I'll have to try once I switch. Hot or cold water, which do you prefer?

Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts

Always with hot, it's better for the wicking process IMO. No fabric softener or dryer sheets either, detergent only and some vinegar can help with the wicking process too

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/20 Posts

I knew the no fabric helper stuff but not the hot water so thank you. I always use vinegar when washing pig things. Once the vinegar is washed away everything seems cleaner then things not washed with it. May just be me. Lol

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts

Maybe your ramps are too steep and that is why they are not using it? You can either lower your lofts down so the incline isn't so steep or make a longer ramp. As for the boys not using their houses, you can put in a low canopy for them to hide under, or a fleece forest. That will also free up more space in the cage for running.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    277 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    516 Rec'd/374 Posts

you can also try putting the house under the ramp so it's more private, with two boys you might also want to add a second exit to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/20 Posts

They haven't even really looked at the ramps :/. So I don't think it's to steep.
    I'll have to try the under the ramp thing. That's where my girls love to sleep since it has fleece. The boys shall get some also thank you.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts

You can add a little coroplast lip to the opening to the loft to hold the bedding in. Cut it about 1 or 1.5" high and a little wider than the opening to the loft. Use velcro to attach it to the coroplast on the loft. You'd need to cut a "corner" on the lip to hold it to the right side so it's an L shaped piece of coroplast. It'll keep the bedding from going down the ramp. If you use velcro to attach it, you will be able to take take it off if you don't need it. This is what it would look like:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    24 Rec'd/20 Posts

That's a good idea!

User Tag List