Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodbye, Grace the Magickal

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
Grace the Magickal passed away today.

After her partner, Picckalo, died last November, she seemed a little off. We thought it was loneliness, and introduced her to Dr McCuy. They got on very well, but then Grace started to lose weight. We took her in, and her teeth were a bit overgrown, so we had them floated. She was bright, but continued to lose weight. Further tests revealed a thyroid issue and a small mass on her thyroid. We treated her with thyroid meds. Unfortunately, she went into a slow spiral over two months, with the thyroid problem affecting her appetite, which led to her being unable to manage hay, which created further problems with her teeth. Despite two months of assisted feeding and being doted on by Xopher in particular, her weight dropped from nearly 1100 grams to 700 grams. Last night, she let us know that she was done with the fight, three months to the day from when Picckalo passed on. We brought her to our vet for a final goodbye. Xopher and I held her as she crossed to Rainbow Bridge, to be with Picckalo, and to greet Oink and Triton as well.

I cannot thank all of you enough who brought her on the pig train from Kansas to Pennsylvania, where we picked her up and brought her to DC. She went from being a cast-off from a family who dropped her on her head, causing the loss of one eye, and who deemed her a monster and abandoned her at the vet. We saw a silken abby-sheltie cross, brindled, and with hair so glossy that the red picked up light like a glass fiber and reflected her energy back to us.

Grace showed a particular love for Sigur Ros and Radiohead, and a surprising dislike of Morrissey. She and Picckalo fell in love immediately. It was the easiest pig-match ever. And Dr. McCuy paced the length of their cage this morning, wheeking for her. We had her in our lives for 18 months, so she was probably about 2.5 or 3 years old. Much too young to say goodbye.

There has been a lot of pain and loss in our lives the past couple of years, both human and cavy, but Grace truly brought grace, and I am grateful to know her and to carry her spirit with me until we meet again.

[MENTION=19120]Hhbean[/MENTION]

[MENTION=23091]Els9547[/MENTION]

[MENTION=19024]lemonham[/MENTION]

[MENTION=19945]Xopher[/MENTION]

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Grace will be greatly missed. She brought something special into our life and restored my faith in humanity. I love the way you described her fur, it really was the most beautiful fur and had that extra sparkle to it! For the short time that we had her with us in St. Louis she showed so much spunk! Thank you, [MENTION=19254]Wildcavy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19945]Xopher[/MENTION] for giving her such a wonderful home.

Xopher

Cavy Slave
She was such a good girl. These months of hand-feeding her truly let us forge a powerful bond. That, and our shared loss of Picckalo. She was a joy to know and I will miss her always. IMG_20140112_184025.jpg

Attachments

IMG_20140112_184025.jpg

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about Grace. She was lovely.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for your loss, RIP Grace piggie.

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
Grace was only with us for about a week before moving on to her forever home, but she was such a joy! DSCI0031.jpgDSCI0028.jpg Not sure if you've seen these pigtures [MENTION=19254]Wildcavy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19945]Xopher[/MENTION]

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
DSCI0040.jpg I could gaze upon her beauty forever!

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer
I hadn't seen these -- thank you for posting [MENTION=19120]Hhbean[/MENTION]! She was so hard to photograph, sometimes. The shininess of her fur would make a glare on the photo. Grace loved the pink cuddle cup. She booted Picckalo out if he tried to get into it.

We are getting her ashes back as soon as the snow clears and we can drive. She'll be with our other piggies then. I'm hoping that we won't have to post on the "In Memory" again soon. Jumble had surgery for a uterine tumor on Tuesday, so we don't know how she is going to do.

They each have such different personalities. Times like this I think, I don't want any more pigs. It hurts so much to lose them.

Xopher

Cavy Slave
It's funny but with all the time I spent holding her and feeding her Critical Care, i became convinced that she could magickly see out of her missing eye. She had this way of "looking" at you as though she saw you clearly. She was such an amazing girl.

maddy harper

Cavy Slave
your piggy sounded so pretty. So sorry for your loss-xxx

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.