Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties rat ball and wheels?

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Hi I was wonderng if I could get a wheel or a ball for my rat?
I wasn't sure if they are safe or not and I don't want to get something that could hurt my baby.
Thanks for any help!:D

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
You can offer a wheel, but it has to be tail safe meaning a solid base. you can try (broken link removed) i think is the link or just do a search for the ferret store and they sell rat friendly wheels

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks Kimberly78!

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know about balls? Can rats use them?

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
I dont see why not if they are large enough and there is no way the tail can get caught up. In my experience the rats I have known dont like them.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I don't advocate balls for any animal. They can crash into walls and furniture and get hurt. Whip lash type injuries. Stay away from them. I bought one for my chin and took off the two end caps and hung it in his cage as another hidey spot. He loves it.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks I don't think I will buy one.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
The only wheel I use with rodents are these (broken link removed). If you go to the "others gallery" page you'll see my clumsy duprasi happily running in her wheel. They kept falling out of open wheels and the enclosed wheels were too narrow for their fat bodies. My gerbils absolutely loved having one hang from the top of the cage so they could jump into it. That also kept them from easily chewing on it. I've had alot of problems with other wheel designs so there is no other type I can recommend as safe.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
That wheel is advertised as approved by the ASPCA. My chin has a different wheel and just loves it.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
We have 4 rats. None of them like a wheel or a ball.

stitsy&codyPig

Cavy Slave
Thanks I am going to try to get one from the critter store.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't get a ball. I just don't like the idea. You can't tell when the animal has had enough and I'm sure they would rather run around in a safe room.

Chloë-Jasmine

Cavy Slave
When I had rats, they just stayed in one place and pooped all over it. It's much nicer just to let them run around on the floor or on the bed (if your as tolerable as me :p). I really miss having rats, my old science teacher used to breed them to feed them to his snakes!!! I totally was against this, but I was just a kid back then, and didn't have much say. Lucky for us, the deal was, any student could have one, and he'd feed the left overs... so naturally everyone took two, and told him they gave it to someone else. The principal made him stop though, because a lot of kids were getting upset. So needless to say, there's not alot of rats around except the pet store kind. Sorry for sharing such an upsetting story. I just miss my rats!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.