Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hamster info!!! Throw it at me!

piggies87

Cavy Slave
Also go on hamster.hideout its a great forum (i'm on there alot)

Rabbit_Lover

Cavy Slave
Here's a fantastic guide on how to make a bin cage. You could do the wire on the sides to, but this cage was for breeder mice and mice chew way to much to have open plastic on the sides. Just scroll to the bottom.
https://holisticferret60.proboards.com/thread/13334/help-needed-best-mice-cages

Here is the wire https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-K...tter-Guard-VX620/202518614?N=2fx#.Ul36d9I3suc
The bins are a little to small for a larger hamster. If you look it up on youtube there are videos on how to do a second story bin cage.

Iris Mochi

Cavy Slave
Yep, go onto the hamster hideout forum! I'm on there too! (broken link removed)

00pink

Cavy Slave
My hamster who I named Houdini got out practically every night she learned how to open the ovo cage and climb down to the floor... And they can and will chew through plastic cages regardless of how many chew toys you give them and definitely get a non squeaky wheel (which I don't think exists) I Had to put her cage in the bathtub every night cause I couldn't sleep

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
How did she figure out how to open the ovo cage... It's what I ended up getting for foxy because the one cage wasn't made right and I'm worried he's goin to even tho it's supposed to be escape proof

00pink

Cavy Slave
She'd chew and push on the back of it till it opened then crawl out and crawl down the leg of the table... It's definitely not escape proof and she chewed holes through the tubes and get out that way too

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
Oh wow... Hopefully he don't start pushing on stuff... He's not a chewer so I'm glad on that,,.. I got one of the circle ones and the loft and a bunch of attachments

00pink

Cavy Slave
Mine had every attachment and 3 main cages she was so spoiled... She died on Christmas tho now I just have my piggies... But you can't always tape the latches down if he starts to escape that's what I did

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394598376.474362.jpglol there's more on the other side

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I'm In need of more room lol..,, I hve to share a room with my sister,... Mainly her stuff because she's at college away from here.

00pink

Cavy Slave
Lucky hamster

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
Lol if I had more space for him I'd probably have more than that,, but he's confined to that space:/

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Instead of a wheel get a flying saucer thing. My hamster got a seed in the silent spinner. Oh my god that was terrible. Nwver again.

GuineaPigMania2

Cavy Slave
I owned a Syrian for a few years, here's some basic info:

Nocturnal
Eat a lot
Escape easily
Get fat cheeks when they eat!
Can be nippy and have sharp teeth
They do selective feeding

I haven't owned a hamster for years, but mine was extremely nippy. He lived for two years which is an average age for a Syrian hamster. Make sure you keep Syrians separate, dwarfs or Russians (one of them) can be housed with cage mates. They do try and escape so hammy-proofing your house like you do with pigs may be a good idea. Syrians need 8-10 inch wheel as their backs get sore.

Like pigs, leads and harnesses are NOT a good idea!

Hope it help!

Iris Mochi

Cavy Slave
My hamster who I named Houdini got out practically every night she learned how to open the ovo cage and climb down to the floor... And they can and will chew through plastic cages regardless of how many chew toys you give them and definitely get a non squeaky wheel (which I don't think exists) I Had to put her cage in the bathtub every night cause I couldn't sleep
THEY do exist! Ever heard of the Carolina Storm Express hedge hog wheel? I have one, it's about 10 inchs wide and SILENT! The reason it's silent is because they people who make the wheels use ball bearing, which are essentially roller blade wheels. My old wheel used to be squeaky and unstable, but this wheel is worth its weight in gold!!!

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
Well:/ got home today and foxy had escaped... Someone hit his cage and knocked some of the connecting tubes apart and I can't find him... 3 rd time he has actually escaped now

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
Found him.., p.s. Hamsters can chew through floors! I found this out the hard way.... He Ate right through the floor!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.