Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet What's your GP eating today?

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Pumpkin and Basher are having their every meal staples of tomato, green pepper and lettuce plus celery leaves, endive, cucumber and their current faves of celeriac and butternut squash. They also get a big pile of fresh grass at every meal and a couple times throughout the day too.

In rotation I substitute carrots for the squash, zucchini for the cucumber, they occasionally get spinach, carrot tops, beetroot, parsley, coriander and sweet potato and other seasonal veg from the garden. My dudes also get forages of dandelion leaves and flowers, cleavers, plantain leaves, chickweed, yarrow, lemon balm, apple leaves and clover occasionally. They now eat everything, though they seem to prefer stuff in phases.

It's worth persisting with veg they don't want to eat though, as for example, the first summer I had the piggies as well as a garden full of zucchini, they annoyingly wouldn't touch the stuff, despite using @bpatters method of cutting it up extremely finely and mixing it in with their pellets for weeks. The next year though they loved it!

Here's a pic of them as babies (before I wisened up to C&C cages alas), sharing an apple leaf, and getting used to new veggies:

What's your GP eating today?

And as big girls, enjoying their dinner:

And my fat girl Basher crashed out with her snout in the nosebag mid-feed:

daisy1cow

Cavy Slave
Mine love Kale now and then. The other night I bought turnip greens, they HATED them. Left it laying there and cried for "real" veggies!
This morning we got a little green leaf lettuce, a little cilantro, green pepper, cucumber, little carrot and a blueberry each!
Tonight they will get a little celery, and green leaf lettuce.
They eat healthier than me! I switch around with cilantro, parsley, italian parsley, sweet potato, apple, pear, different lettuces like green, leaf, romaine.

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
Today the boys had some romaine, spring mix, cilantro(their new favorite), green pepper, and a little baby carrot. Of course they have their hay and pellets. I don't put pellets in until evening though so that they will eat their hay. They both have a slight pellet addiction!

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
Last night I did spring mix, green peppers, and carrots. This morning they will have red leaf lettuce, yellow pepper, and celery (cut up really good). Today is grocery shopping day so the pickings are thin.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
This morning Dora and Olivia got romain lettuce and some yellow and red pepper along with there hay and pellets and tonight they will get cilantro and some yellowand red peppers. Normally its more diversified but im trying to use up what's left.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave

For dinner the gals are pigging out on some Romaine lettuce, bell peppers , cilantro, and parsley!

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
This morning for Dora and Olivia it was red lettuce and yellow pepper, with tonight being kale, snow peas in pods and carrots

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Holly M Landry
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Zombie Queen

Cavy Slave
My buddies Squeaker and Olive have enjoyed a fine breakfast salad of red lettuces, dandelion, spinach, and parsley, and a bit of much loved carrot.

Where do you get dandelion?

Amanda Branch

Cavy Slave
My piggies had organic spring mix with green peppers.

Holly M Landry
Holly M Landry

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
@Zombie Queen your GPs are all so cute!

Sometimes I get frustrated reading what everyone feeds their herds. I can't find cranberries OR dandelion here! :( Maybe once I move to CA we will be able to find more!

Today my boys had their hay and pellets along with spring mix, a little carrot, some cilantro, celery leaves, and a pitted cherry.

Holly M Landry

JenNPiggys

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the extra advice Holly! I have looked EVERYWHERE here for different GP veggies. It's mostly the normal run of the mill stuff. I'm sure more will be available at the Farmers Markets come spring.

I do see Fennel though, can they have that? I would suspect the green parts might be OK, but I don't know about the white ball part at the bottom.

Holly M Landry

janinehunt

Cavy Slave
Fennel is fine. My piggies are eating some as we speak. Both the bulb and the herb.

piggydaddy1

Cavy Slave
Dora and Olvia got kale and cilantro last night for there evening snack.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.