Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sexing My girl guinea pig has butt cheek!?

bmdon

Cavy Slave
Hi! I am new here! I have two sweet girl guinea pigs! One is named Pancake, and the other is Popcorn! :)
Lately I have been noticing these little butt cheeks appear on Pancake, I double checked to see if they were possibly testicles but they were not attached and from the pictures I have seen, most seem to be attached! Also, I have looked to see if maybe there was a penis, and nothing! I gently pressed on the tummy near where her area is and nothing popped out, like I was told a penis would.

I really need help here! Is this normal?? :(

IMG_0536[1].jpgIMG_0521[1].jpgIMG_0532[1].jpg

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
That is definitely not a girl imo!
Those look like testicles to me!

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Looks like testicles to me...I'd separate your "girls" until you know for sure - how long have they been together and how old are they?

bmdon

Cavy Slave
I thought testicles were attached? And wouldn't it have a penis?

mtk2000

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs have cheeks but those are testicles. I would immediately separate the two

bmdon

Cavy Slave
They have been together the whole time I have had them which has been a good like 5 months or so....and one is about 4-5 months and the other is maybe 2-3...the pet store didn't give me and exact age for them...

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Sometimes the penis is hard to get to come out - It took me a while to get Teddy's penis to pop out - hence the name Teddy - he was rescued and the lady didn't know who were boys and girls.

I'm pretty sure that is not a girl...Can you get a picture of 'her' under side?

lissie

Cavy Slave
That's a boy for sure. Can you post pic of the other one?

bmdon

Cavy Slave
Well I have noticed Popcorn belly has gotten pretty big and I'm afraid she is pregnant. I didn't think it was anything because I was told they were both girls and then randomly those "things" appeared....and they hate being separated. Pancake and Popcorn love each other....it's hard to see....
Plus they had both gone to the vet for mites and had said that Pancake was a girl and they never said otherwise...

bmdon

Cavy Slave
IMG_0539[1].jpg This is Popocorn

IMG_0540[1].jpgAnd this is Pancake

lissie

Cavy Slave
Is your vet experienced with guinea pigs? If they've lived together for 5 months, and one is pregnant, the other is a boy. Please separate them now. If your girl gives birth, she can get pregnant again right away. Back to back pregnancy is very hard on the sow.

agirlwithink

Cavy Slave
Popcorn looks female to me :[
Pancake looks male

Oh dear, she could very possibly be pregnant.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
I would say Popcorn is a girl and Pancake is a for sure a boy...

bmdon

Cavy Slave
Is your vet experienced with guinea pigs? If they've lived together for 5 months, and one is pregnant, the other is a boy. Please separate them now. If your girl gives birth, she can get pregnant again right away. Back to back pregnancy is very hard on the sow.

Yes, the vet was experienced. They place where I live has certain vets for certain animals. And I have separated them. I just have no idea what I am going to do. I can't have them separated for the rest of their lives, they each need a buddy...but I cannot afford to have 4 guinea pigs! Not with work, and school and all.

Aleks

Cavy Slave
Yes, the vet was experienced. They place where I live has certain vets for certain animals. And I have separated them. I just have no idea what I am going to do. I can't have them separated for the rest of their lives, they each need a buddy...but I cannot afford to have 4 guinea pigs! Not with work, and school and all.

If you decide to rehome the babies, as opposed to pairing them with mom & dad, you could have Pancake neutered so that he and Popcorn can live together again.

bmdon

Cavy Slave
If you decide to rehome the babies, as opposed to pairing them with mom & dad, you could have Pancake neutered so that he and Popcorn can live together again.

Can't that be dangerous?

bguardguy

Cavy Slave
Any surgery on an animal has levels of danger, especially in an animal as small as a guinea pig. You can easily just expand the cage and then place a divider in the cage if you are worried about it.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Neutering isn't very dangerous if you're pig is healthy and your vet is cavvy savy and has done lots of guinea pig neuters.

We've had over 20 males and one female de-sexed by our vet - none had any problems - not even the girl.

lissie

Cavy Slave
How are your pigs doing today? Have you separate them?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.