Thread: Getting a second piggie for Princess Penelope!

Thanks
    Thanks
    232 Rec'd/199 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

Getting a second piggie for Princess Penelope!

So I'm hopefully picking up Penelope's new friend on the 28th, however things have happened on craigslist for me before like they ended up giving away whatever I was wanting to someone else sooner and didn't even tell me so I drove to our meeting location just waiting... so hopefully that will not happen again.

Anyways this lady is selling her young guinea pig with everything (Cage, bedding, food, water bottle, etc.) so I will have a place to have the new piggie for quarantine but I had a couple quick questions.

1. The only room I could have the new piggie in that's not mine, is the storage room (It's much smaller than my room of course but it's still quite large) right next to my room that I keep Penelope's hay in. (The amount in her cage is fine but large quantities of it for an extended amount of time make my allergies flare up.) Here's the deal though.:
    I live in a very old farm house and this storage door has no door knob so it never completely shuts and I have to keep my own door wide open at all times because all we have for heating is a furnace that's downstairs. We also have a couple electric heaters but they're really only good if you're right by them to heat up your leg or something, they do nothing for heating up a non-insulated huge room. Penelope has one under her table on a low setting all the time so her cage floor is nice and warm :3. But the storage room doesn't have an outlet so the electrical heater isn't even an option in there. If I have a piggie in that room I would also need to have it wide open so that heat could get in there as well. Now like I said these rooms are right next to each other, would this also defeat the purpose of quarantine just the same as having her in the same room as Penelope would? I'm thinking of solutions to this as I write but I'm not sure what the distance between them needs to be exactly.
    2. Is it 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 4 weeks (a month) because I've heard it all three ways, though mostly these days people have been saying 3 weeks.

Thank you everyone.
    Last edited by LuvCavysLuvCats; 01-24-14 at 02:23 am.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Re: Getting a second piggie for Princess Penelope!

I would not keep an electric heater anywhere near hay or either cage. I saw a segment about portable heaters and it said they should never be any less than 3 feet from any object, wall or rug and that they throw a tremendous amount of heat, even at a low setting. I'd put the new one in the same room as Penelope, just as far away from her as you can. I'd partially cover the cages with fabric or fleece but keep a section open for ventilation. As long as the bedding is dry and there are pigloos to hide, they should be fine. Do you know what the temperature is in the room?

It's been awhile since I've quarantined but I think it's 3 weeks.

Thanks
    Thanks
    46 Rec'd/40 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

If you live in a really old house (I am not sure how old you meant) you can cover the window to your room with plastic, you can get this as a kit or buy a roll from hardware store and cut it and tape it good around the window frame or just hang a thick thick blanket over your window (I used to do both). So much heat escapes from windows, not to mention cold air blowing in. If you do have double-pane insulated windows you can just do the blanket it still may help. Also if you have a ceiling fan make sure its set going clockwise on low so it's bringing heat down (counter-clockwise is for summer time) most fans have a switch. If you are lucky and have heating vents, close all the ones downstairs that you don't need to force the air stronger upstairs so it reaches you. You may already know all this just sharing my experience growing up in an old house, every little bit helps even if its just a few degrees.

Thanks
    Thanks
    232 Rec'd/199 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

@pinky At night it's about 63-5 degrees and during the day when we turn up the heat it's 73-6 depending on the temperature outside. I decided to have the new piggy in the "living room" area upstairs, which is just the part at the top of the stairs. It's big enough to be it's own room and she would be a little bit farther than if I put her in the storage room. They would be about fifty ft away from each other. Though my door has to be wide open at all times so they still would be in the 'same air' so to speak. Plus they would absolutely be able to hear each other, maybe smell (not sure about that one). Is this fine?

@jinxie Oh yes, we do all of those things haha thanks though! (Unfortunately no vents, this house is little over 100 years old, it's beautiful but doesn't do much to keep you toasty... except in summer... then my room becomes a sauna, which I personally like (seriously though that kind of heat isn't healthy for even me) but for them... they would probably die or at the least get extremely sick so I'm getting an air conditioner for them before it becomes unbearable. This is not a problem one would think another would be having in Washington State.)

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)

@pinky is correct. Quarantine is 21 days/3 weeks. You know the drill - separate room, behind closed doors, etc.

Thanks
    Thanks
    232 Rec'd/199 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)

I can put her downstairs in the "pantry", (it's really just a small room) but the warmest I can get it in there is 60 degrees. (With an electric heater in the room, not near the cage.) I figure if I put hay in her hidey house and a blanket over half of the cage she should be warm enough. Would this set up be okay?

User Tag List